Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012 Bowman Blister, 2012 Archives, 6 Boxes 1991 Donruss Big Hits :)

Stopped by Target yesterday for some socks and picked up a blister of 2012 Bowman and a blaster of 2012 Archives just to try that product out.

Blister was a lot better than the first one I bought where I got all base. Got:
Ben Zobrist International
Roy Halladay Bowman's Best
Yoenis Cespedes Gold
Anthony Rendon Retial Purple

I wasn't expecting much from the Archives blaster - mostly just wanted some of the inserts to see them. I got a lot more than I wanted:
Reprints: Reggie Jackson, Jim Palmer
SPs: Cecil Cooper, Sandy Koufax
Deckle: Mike Napoli
3d: Robinson Cano
Sticker: Carl Yastrzemski
Cloth Sticker: Curtis Granderson
Gold Parallel: Babe Ruth
Auto: Sid Bream (Inscribed with Romans 5-8)

I'm a Braves fan so the Sid Bream was an awesome surprise, even if it is one of the common autos (at least I think it is).

Pics from those:

Some back-story on the 1991 Donruss. This was one of the first sets I ever tried to put together, back when I was still in high school. This and 1989 Topps. I once even grabbed a 5000 count box full of it from somewhere that was giving away cards, but it still didn't have all of the numbers I needed.

Last year I bought 1 box of each series on ebay thinking that'd finally be enough to complete my set, but I was still left with 20-30 missing cards. Obviously it wasn't a huge priority so I didn't really go after getting more boxes till this week when I saw someone auctioning off 2 sets of 3 boxes from each series. I picked up all 6 boxes for $38.50 shipped and figured I'd be able to complete my sets and maybe have a shot at one of those Elite cards. But I wasn't holding my breath on that one.

The boxes were on my doorstep when I came home Friday. I'd usually be in a hurry to rip but didn't start till later that night when my gf was asleep since they aren't that exciting to open.

Well, I opened a box of Series 1 first, sorting them into 4 piles as I went and talking with a friend about baseball online. Got down to the last pack and noticed something different with one of the backs. No way...it can't be. Sure enough though, it was an Elite card of Doug Drabek .

I flipped out to my friend (who really doesn't know about baseball cards but patiently listens to me rant about them from time to time), and he's a Pirates fan, so he was more excited about the player than I was lol. It wasn't the best player to get but I never thought I'd actually get one so I didn't really care. Almost wanted to wake the gf up to show her, but let her sleep.

Ripped a series 2 box and got all base, then went to bed. The next day I was opening another box of Series 1 not really paying much attention as I'd completed Series 1 by then, and BAM out popped another Elite. Andre Dawson this time. I just stared at it for a bit then said "Holy sh**!" to myself.

These are supposedly a 1 in 75 box or 1 in 5 case hit, and I got two out of 6 boxes. Imagine if I'd done that with a current product - I'd probably be sitting on hundreds of dollars haha. The boxes were interesting - they were originally purchased at some placed called Card Gallery that had opened each box and put a price on each pack ($.55), and then later taped them up and sold them as whole boxes to the person that I got them from this week. That history just added even more to the fun.

No way these are leaving my collection; I'm done ripping 1991 Donruss but maybe one day I'll put the Elite set together. Sorry for the rant, but here are pics:

BTW if anyone wants some 1991 Donruss base, feel free to tell me what you want and it's yours for shipping. Otherwise it's all going in the trash in a week XD (or maybe saved for a bonfire or something awesome like that).

Let me know if you want anything from the Bowman/Archives too, except the auto.
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't want any of the Donruss base, but man I'd like to have that Dawson Elite . I never saw one of those things pulled from a pack! Very cool
PC Items wanted: 1988 Topps Tiffany Mark Grace PSA 10 & 2012 Mike Heath Leaf Memories #3/5
ElonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Gant FT????
catcherball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Love the ELITEs....remember pulling a Barry Bonds from i believe Donruss 1992 when i was a kid...sold it for $100 (big money in 3rd grade LOL)...
Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElonU View Post
I don't want any of the Donruss base, but man I'd like to have that Dawson Elite . I never saw one of those things pulled from a pack! Very cool
Haha don't blame you :P. I'd heard stories of them being pulled but never thought I'd do it - was really exciting.
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearljam_cubbies

I never even knew The Hawk had an Elite....awesome looking card!
All Topps Heritage Cubs team sets
pearljam_cubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

greatest insert set ever, very sweet!
thenwhatjk is offline   Reply With Quote