Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
that is the main reason why these things happen . coz some people let it happen. my take on the card is scam . that simple ...

just a question to everyone ... put yourself on the shoe of the buyer ...
you paid $550 for an autograph card . and one day you will receive an envelope from topps saying here is your vampire autograph. then when you open it all you see are fang marks ... my guess is someone will faint lol .... what will you feel?
Yes if it was advertised as an auto of Cal Ripken Jr. and it came back with fang marks then the buyer would be pissed.

What people are trying to point out is that the people who would buy this card in the first place would know the product and know that they're not going to be getting some super valuable autograph. They bought it because they want to complete the set and like the Terroabilia cards for their uniqueness. If you're willing to put down $550 on a piece of cardboard you better damn well know what you're getting yourself in for, and if you don't, then that's your fault and not the company in this case. If the card were signed Dracula by some Topps employee, it would be just as fake and useless as the teeth marks.

Do you know Dracula? Do you know what his autograph really looks like?

Also look at the Gypsy Queens and Gypsy Kings inserts from '11 and '12 Gypsy Queen. Everyone knows those things are fake but people still buy them for what they are. Are those scams too? Aren't we all getting scammed by buying pieces of cardboard for sometimes hundreds or thousands of dollars when they cost 15 cents to make?
DaBaddestHic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
The "autographs" were extremely rare. That fact plus the fact that A&G collectors are nuts means this card will go for an insane amount.

Throw the common sense book out in this case...
Exactly, take all common sense and hope of future value out, and it will become clear lol....
Old 08-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
Inactive Account

why was this a redemption in the first place? did topps had a difficult time getting draculas fang marks ?
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
why was this a redemption in the first place? did topps had a difficult time getting draculas fang marks ?
Not sure how many Topps employees work outside of the 9-5. Dealing with Dracula is of course an "after-hours" job. Might have been hard with the scheduling. And who knows how many employees became dinner?
Uter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #55 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uter79 View Post
Not sure how many Topps employees work outside of the 9-5. Dealing with Dracula is of course an "after-hours" job. Might have been hard with the scheduling. And who knows how many employees became dinner?
Could not have said it any better myself!
Follow Me On Twitter @SportCardBuffet
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #56 (permalink)

Now seeing the card, I think you would have gotten more money as a redemption...rare but true....
Old 08-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #57 (permalink)

Hopefully nobody shows this guy the Invisible Man relic from this subset...

Quote:
that is the main reason why these things happen . coz some people let it happen. my take on the card is scam . that simple ...

you paid $550 for an autograph card . and one day you will receive an envelope from topps saying here is your vampire autograph. then when you open it all you see are fang marks ... my guess is someone will faint lol .... what will you feel?
BostonNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post
Yes if it was advertised as an auto of Cal Ripken Jr. and it came back with fang marks then the buyer would be pissed.
This is officially the "Blowout Out-Of-Context Post Of The Year". Congratulations, I am still wiping tears from my face. I love this website
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #59 (permalink)

Isnt this sort of like the jersey cards? We dont know for sure if the jersey was worn by the player just like we dont know for sure Dracula actually bit this card. We can only go by the fact that Topps certified it as bitten/autographed. Thats good enough for me.
ldsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
This is officially the "Blowout Out-Of-Context Post Of The Year". Congratulations, I am still wiping tears from my face. I love this website
lol if they had a Cal Ripken Bite mark. I bet it would sell for 500+

2010 Neftali Feliz Ginter Relic
Tommy12oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBaddestHic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Gahahahah

@Skeen

The card is unique, it fits right in with the whole ginter non-baseball feel. Value is not driven by anything "real" in the card market anyways.

I am actually a fan, and at $100-200 would probably buy this card.

Crazy? Well paying for cardboard is already crazy. Give me something unique and rare, and as long as its licensed (or from a reputable company) and in a collectible card form, I'm in!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #62 (permalink)

the card states "Topps Certified Autograph Issue". the "bite" marks would not be considered an autograph in any book... corect??

so if this card is blatantly false who is to say that ANY of their "Certified Issues" (auto's or game used) are legit?

Last edited by ac78217; 08-10-2012 at 02:00 PM.
ac78217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #63 (permalink)

Amen, fitch123.

I also agree with DaBaddestHic - always know what you're getting into when buying cardboard (or any collectible for that matter).

My philosophy - I always go into a box break/card purchase with the thought that what I will end up with is worthless cardboard. I promise you, I am NEVER disappointed.

bucket - http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/SquirrelyThings/library
Super8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #64 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post
Gahahahah

@Skeen

The card is unique, it fits right in with the whole ginter non-baseball feel. Value is not driven by anything "real" in the card market anyways.

I am actually a fan, and at $100-200 would probably buy this card.

Crazy? Well paying for cardboard is already crazy. Give me something unique and rare, and as long as its licensed (or from a reputable company) and in a collectible card form, I'm in!

card being unique is not the one in question here . what is being questioned is the fact that the redemption card states Autograph .

now ac78217 pointed that TOPPS CERTIFIED AUGTOGRAPH on the card

it is clear that these arent Autograph cards . these are fang marks .

so like what ac78217 pointed out Topps authenticity right now will surely be challenged.

Others are saying , who in their right mind will ever think of expecting a true autograph for a fictional character.

But why did Topps release a scam card like this in the first place. If you cant come up with a true Dracula Autograph then they should have not released a card like this for their product

If a company is selling authentic jerseys in the market you would definitely take their word for it. But if for 1 time somebody has proven them selling not authentic jerseys as they describe they are surely in the real world will have their company's stocks to crash and be hit and probably suits or claims may follow for misleading the public.

But for the card industry ... its a unique industry. Topps , UD , Leaf or Panini made a mistake on one of their products . What happens ? some people will say , thats ok . No one is forcing you to buy their product so let them be . If you dont want it then dont buy it . So the card companies got away with it and it will all will be forgotten.

i would like to borrow this line from a fellow collector who responded to one of a post to this card ...

"Key is in educating the core collectors and new people to hobby what is marketed trash and what is good for the long term, we are going to have to protect our own and really stop watching good people get burned by this hobby if we want it to last.

I mean they are making cards of their employees now with 'office worn' shirt patches and so forth... have you ever seen links on how sticker autos can be peeled off, cleaned, and fake autos replaced onto it and reattached?

There is much that needs to be done to protect the true collectors and multiply their ranks but it will have to be part of our duty to inform the future lest we risk more burning out faster due to being burned on day one by these out of touch manufacturers.:"

your views are only as good as mine. they are your views and these are mine. End of the day what is yours yours and what i have are mine. i pay for my hobby needs and so does everyone else. but like what i have been saying . This is foul ball.

and as to why it took them so long to get draculas marks ... my hats off to staff of Topps who tried getting the fang marks of dracula and failed .... May they rest in peace .... lol !!!peace !!!!

Last edited by skeen; 08-10-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #65 (permalink)

What is 'marketed trash' and what is 'good for the long term?' Sounds like people are still taking card collecting a little too seriously. It still is a "hobby", isn't it?

Here's how I see this whole Dracula Autograph debacle...

Allen & Ginter is a fairly well-known 'brand' now. 2012 marks its 6th birthday. It has established itself as a product in which 'anything goes.' Yes, it is 'baseball cards' and it is an MLB-licensed 'baseball product', but I think its a fair statement that all of the non-baseball stuff that accompanies it is the product's real attraction. Heck, a good chunk of the truly rare and funky stuff that comes out of packs isn't even on the sell sheet or official checklist!

I think most halfway intelligent people get it. If I pulled a card featuring a werewolf on it and it had a hand-signed autograph saying "Mr. Werewolf" I would assume some random person at Topps signed it. What makes it valuable its its rareness and its funkiness and overall obscureness.

Would it make everyone feel better if, instead of the "Topps Authentic Autograph Issue" statement, the Dracula autograph card said "Official Fake Topps Autograph?" That's not fun. You can't always cater to the lowest common denomenator... if you did, all comedians would be Larry the Cable Guy and Bill Hicks never would have existed.

Overly sensitive folks that are too invested in the 'hobby' as an 'investment' in their future need to get over it. Trading card autograph forgery or card counterfeiting or whatever serious crimes surround the industry are a far cry from a silly fantasy-themed card having an 'authentic' Dracula autograph.

To quote Ron Simmons... "DAMN!"

bucket - http://s1069.photobucket.com/user/SquirrelyThings/library
Super8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #66 (permalink)
Inactive Account

This card says on the COA on the lower right
"TOPPS CERTIFIED AUTOGRAPH ISSUE"

This card also says on COA which is stamped
"TOPPS CERTIFIED AUTOGRAPH ISSUE"

if they can issue the top card for fun then what stops them from issuing the bottom card faked also for fun ?

i am not saying the last card is faked but what if it is

yup this is hobby alright wherein you are made to believe what the companies wants you to believe ...Wherein COA on the back of each card says Congratulations you have received a game worn jersey worn by
XXXXXXX . This jersey has been certified by us to be game worn and authentic blah blah blah ...

only to find out ... Remember these ? Six Memorabilia Dealers Charged With Fraud Involving “Hundreds of Thousands” of Dollars thats a period of 2001-2009

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...ed-with-fraud/

how much do you think the value difference for A Babe Ruth Event Worn Auto jersey ... compared to a card with Manufactured patch auto of Babe ruth ... versus a Game worn auto jersey of babe ruth ? if we will just take the COA's for granted ?

Last edited by skeen; 08-10-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #67 (permalink)

...so if I'm reading this thread's main antagonist correctly, this Dracula card is the gateway drug to counterfeit autos? Even though we all know Dracula is more or less a fictional character?

Always looking for Galaxy and soccer autos & patches!
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #68 (permalink)

I can't believe that this thread has 3 pages of pointless comments......
Craiggysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
True Blood is non-fiction! *gasp*

Don't show that card to any Twilight fans either.

It is a cool card though, I really thought it would have been a cut from Vlad the Impaler, but Topps was like "oh lets just get a ice pick and a red sharpie, it will be cheaper!"
Artiodactyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #70 (permalink)

I just tried to search them out (either dracula or other terrorabilia cards) in ebay (active or completed item), but all failed. Aren't them got banned or any reasons on that?
jbettis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
So even though the first two to surface went for $500+ this one will go for $300???

Either you still need to take an economics course or you really want this guy to accept your low ball offer...
Just a shout out to the A Holes, especially BostonNut who said I was crazy for thinking the most a Dracula gimmick auto would go for is 300.

first live one just ended, $200 --- no bids

Allen Ginter 2011 Dracula Terrorabilia Autograph | eBay

2010 Neftali Feliz Ginter Relic
Tommy12oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #72 (permalink)

This illustrates how card values decrease exponentially after release date.
KingFelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #73 (permalink)

It illustrates how the public can only be duped for so long into paying something for nothing.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #74 (permalink)

I think it illustrates that starting your auction with an extremely high opening bid will scare off the people you need to fight for the card to get the value where you want it.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #75 (permalink)

I wouldn't buy that card for a buck no matter what the numbering is. It's a total joke.
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote