Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default ONE BOX BREAK of STERLING

To my suprise my wife purchased me a box of Topps Sterling from Blowout for an anniversary present. It arrived last night and I figured I would be getting one of the bad boxes and I would have to pretend to be excited when I got a bad box.

To my suprise I happened to hit the Mantle box and about hit the roof when I saw his name under the mystery pack(I was freaking out thinking it might contain a cut auto). Mystery pack contained a Tom Seaver white suede card. The rest of the cards speak for themselves through the scans. I have to thank whoever pulled the order at Blowout for the great selection!!!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

you better have gave you wife a big ol kiss nice pull!
matts_cardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Trust me, she got more than a kiss!!!!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nice, the only problem is that card should sell for only about $180 as a similiar card went for. You think it is better to bust a Mantle box in the future or sell the mystery pack and Mantle separately.
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think it would have been worth more to sell them individualy, but since it was a present and I only collect and do not sell, I had to open it. I figured the card was only worth 150-200, and that is ok with me. I still thought I was going to do alot worse if I had got a different player.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduce View Post
I think it would have been worth more to sell them individualy, but since it was a present and I only collect and do not sell, I had to open it. I figured the card was only worth 150-200, and that is ok with me. I still thought I was going to do alot worse if I had got a different player.
Yes I mean in your case you had to open the gift. But if you were to buy a case for $2,300. Sell the 10 mystery packs for $600. Sell the Mantle for $400. Bonds and Ripken for $200 each. Then sell the remaining 7 for $130 average which will be easy and you will come atop.

Of course here are some intersting players:
Dice K MATSUZAKA $395
Ted Willaims $350
Ichiro $300-325
MATSUI $250
Maris $250
Pujols $225
Howards $200
Wright $200

Of course bottom Guys like Morneau and Gibson are $130. But this plan should certianinly work. Just the ebay fees might bite cause you would have to set up buy it now auctions.

Last edited by jacobbigshow; 12-22-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

God after my post I think I am going to be "cracking" a case. It is only 2,214.99 at blowout cards so it will be easier to make up your money.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

great box and nice pull. Glad to see someone who actually still collects and is happy with just pulling nice cards, and not just in it for the direct $$ value. In a funny way, I trully believe that the people who are only in it to open/flip and only care what the immediate value is, are what is directly making the amount of $$ cards bring on ebay, go down, year by year. If there were more true collectors in this for a hobby, I believe the amount of $$ you could get out of you bigger pulls would be higher automatically. If the manufacurers would understand this a little, and quit promoting/producing products which are just sports version of high dollar scratch off lottery tickets, we might get this hobby going back in a good direction.
Lexington, KY 40517
(859) 273-0442
SlamDunkSportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yes but slamdunk, if you took out all of the money makers out of the business, the hobby would die. You still need people who are only in it for the money to keep the hobby alive. I am personally in it for both. I have been collecting cards since I can even remember. I remember in 1990 buying all those fleer packs (what a waste). I personally buy and sell on ebay, but I also add hundreds of cards to my pc a year. And I think most people who are only in it for the money do the same.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

I don't think so. The way the hobby is structured nowdays, the only people who are guaranteed to make $$ are the Manufacturers and the Distributors. That is it. Other than that, EVERYONE, or 90+% of everyone else is ALSO in it to make $$. That is IMPOSSIBLE. Also, the majority who bust with NO intention on collecting and only care about the immediate value on ebay, don't really help the hobby long term at all. YEAH right now with the way the hobby is, they help get the biggest portion of all products busted, and into circulation, but again, only making money for the manufacturers and distributors. Does anyone think that when you guys on here talk about getting cases of (for example) bowman draft baseball at say $550 or less, that anyone other than the manufacturers and bigger distributors are making any $$??????? It's not happening. I also believe that by these new practices of people all in it to make $$ and just busting HUGE amounts of products with no collecting intentions, and only ebay dollar value in mind, are the DIRECT cause of the amount you get out of your cards continually going down year after year, no matter how high the manufacturerers price the products. If the majority of products made, were quality products, and not hit or miss scratch offs, and the majority of buyers out there were true collectors, then the business would then be more profitable for the manufacturers, the distributors, the shop owners, the card show dealers and so on. As it stands, this isn't possible.
Lexington, KY 40517
(859) 273-0442
SlamDunkSportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well slam I guess if you do not care about print runs then yea. Like in etopps, the print runs are continuing to go down and down and a lot of flippers are leaving the program. So if manufactors took out the middle men (I don't know how you would do that), then there would probably be only a quarter or even less of the products around. I mean how many brands do we need? When Fleer, Topps, Bowman, and Upper deck was around that was good enough for the 80s. Now we have like 30 different sets per year.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Nice job P!
we6374 is offline   Reply With Quote