Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jc118355
Default Thinking about buying a case of 2011 Contenders - any insight would help!

For the price and the amount of autographs you can pull + what seems to be really cool cards (if your lucky enough) that you could pull - do you think it is worth it? Any insight from the blowout community would help greatly... I have about $700 to spend - I will be selling on eBay - I will post the results on here once i make an educated decision - I think it may be possible to double the money i will be spending???
jc118355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
jvc

You should never assume you're going to make money, let alone double up, by ripping wax. The vast majority of wax breaks end up in a net loss once you sell everything. You should rip because you enjoy it.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

All i was asking for was some help in making a decision - i bust out of enjoyment and as a second source of income for me - I collect as well - i have over 40,000 card + a ton of 8x10 and 16x20's - im making an educated guess from the research i have done - but simply ask for any thoughts or advice as to whether its a good case to buy!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think Contenders has some nice pulls, especially the on-card Rookie Tickets. You usually pull a couple of them per box and the bundy is a $150 sp card. Most people would prefer chrome but considering the number of autos it is a fun break. there are some sp's in the set but you will pull a lot of no-name prospects as well. This is the reason I like opening EEE is for the big number of autos. Chrome has 1 per box and if you don't hit a good one you are really bummed out. EEE and the Contenders you are talking about have 6 or more autos so the odds of hitting a good one is better. Go for it I say.
The_Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc118355 View Post
All i was asking for was some help in making a decision - i bust out of enjoyment and as a second source of income for me - I collect as well - i have over 40,000 card + a ton of 8x10 and 16x20's - im making an educated guess from the research i have done - but simply ask for any thoughts or advice as to whether its a good case to buy!
In a case of 2011 Contenders, you will lose money 90% of the time. Not a very good flip, no high dollar cards, and the base doesn't sell too well.
Ajax1723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you do invest in contenders, consider also that you are in essence prospecting. You will need a couple years before those cards become anything of worth.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

The other case i had my eye on was 2011 limited - blowouts price is amazing and it seems to have some very nice hits possible out of it... for $615 - not much of a gamble there - seems like a decent return on investment! pretty big names and a decent amount of auto's
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc118355 View Post
The other case i had my eye on was 2011 limited - blowouts price is amazing and it seems to have some very nice hits possible out of it... for $615 - not much of a gamble there - seems like a decent return on investment! pretty big names and a decent amount of auto's
Not really. Re-sale is also very bad on that. All but probably 2 boxes in the case will net you about 10 dollars worth of cards. Non-licensed stuff for the most part holds no value unless you can't get their auto anywhere else.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

2011 Limited is cheap for a reason. Just like the 2011 Timeless Treasures Football, it is really difficult to get a great card from it. You might get a few "good" cards, but the prospect selection was terrible and the design feels shoddy. That said, I have seen some sweet cards pulled from that product, so if you'd like to take a chance, I won't be the one to stop you.

But...I will say that choosing a cheap product to flip as an investment almost never works. If you got a grand or two to put down on cases, I'd say go for 2012 BD&P Jumbo HTA or Bowman Sterling 2011.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

i only have $700 - SO at $615 + shipping, i am willing to take the risk! thank you for the responses so far
Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Limited greats signatures
Mariano Rivera, Pete Rose, Miguel Cabrera, Matt Kemp, Hanley Ramirez, Josh Hamilton, Cal Ripken Jr., Carl Yastrzemski, Ryan Braun, Adrian Gonzalez, C.C. Sabathia, Al Kaline, Chipper Jones, Dustin Pedroia, Edgar Martinez, Craig Biggio, Andre Eithier, Buster Posey, David Wright, Don Mattingly and David Ortiz among others

Commons Signatures

Limited Draft Hits Signatures (On-Card Max #'d/299)

- Find Rawlings Gold Glove Signatures featuring a 14k piece of gold along with a signature - each #'d to 20 or less

Historical Cuts (Max #'d/5)
- 30 Historical Cuts Include Cut Autograph Cards From legends of baseball as well as other sports, entertainment and the political Arena.
- Each cut #'d/5 or less!
- Among the cut signatures: Jack Johnson, the turn-of the-century boxer recognized in his time as the first African-American Heavyweight Champion (1908-15). This is believed to be the first-ever Jack Johnson cut autograph. Other cut signatures include autographs from Bill Clinton, Gerald Ford, George Steinbrenner, Hank Greenberg, Roger Maris, Jack Dempsey, Ben Hogan, Lucille Ball and Pee Wee Reese.

Limited Hall of Fame Gear

- Memorabilia pieces include game-used swatches of "Shoeless" Joe Jackson's bat, Ty Cobb jersey, Lou Gehrig jersey and Jimmie Foxx fielding glove, among many other players
- Also find Silver Sluggers Signatures that carry an autograph with a real piece of silver - each #'d to 49 or less
- Hard Hats (#'d/99) are the first helmet cards in nearly 10 years
- Button cards (#'d/3 or less) return!

Thats a pretty decent line up - i know you have to be lucky to pull most of these - but i think the "reward" is worth the risk!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you want to make money put it in the bank.... I don't know if Panini has ever released a baseball product EVER that you could make any money on...
EamonKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have A LOT of Contenders autos and SPs for sale - if you are interested?!?
excel_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EamonKid View Post
If you want to make money put it in the bank.... I don't know if Panini has ever released a baseball product EVER that you could make any money on...
Cooperstown was a no brainer once it reached 65 a box. I bought six cases and easily made about 150 per case on the low end, as the inserts were selling for almost full book, base sets going for 35-40, autos were almost never below 10 bucks, and the plaque cards were selling for 3 bucks each.

Now a days its hard to find cases, let alone cases in that price range.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Panini Prime Cuts was an interesting product and the only one I consider (and never pull the trigger on)