Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Sbaycards 2013 Super Boxes

I stopped by my LCS (Southbay Cards) at lunch today to check out the new 2013 "Super Boxes" they launched this past weekend. I picked up two boxes to take a stab at pulling the 52 Topps Mickey Mantle that is packed out in the product.

Just a disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Sbaycards but I am definitely biased because they are great people and I was EXTREMELY lucky to have my ticket pulled for the grand prize in their last super box raffle!

Anyway, here are my hits (boxes were $110 per):
Box 1:

Box 2:

Anyway, I know these aren't the best boxes but unlike Prospect Rush I feel like there is a bit more value here for non "case hit" boxes. What do you guys think?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

like the shop and think the products they make are good, too bad it's near an hour and half away from me or it'd probably be my go to shop.
mrlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

definitely like the shop, but never bought a superbox before.
jumbogorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

anyone else have experience with these?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNTx View Post
anyone else have experience with these?
here's a link to a thread regarding last year's world series super boxes. my comment is down there. little did i know that i would get lucky five months later in the final raffle after the boxes sold out.

1 box of sbaycards World Series super box

Quote:
unfortunately that's definitely on the lower end of the boxes i've seen.

(disclaimer: i'm not affiliated with sbaycards but the good dudes there are the ones who got me back into collecting last spring.)

i did buy a 5-pack "case" of these world series boxes last weekend while i waited for my beckett RCR and watched the A's/Tigers game. i pulled a few slabbed vintage cards, a 9.5 topps finest stanton RC orange refractor, other modern cards, etc. but my two "case hits" were redemptions for a bryce harper psa/dna baseball and a vin scully psa/dna 5x7 autographed photo which they redeemed on the spot. doing the math i probably broke even but those are two nice pieces that will be going into my PC. i have seen guys hit nice cards ($500-600+) and i know for sure that the mike trout ball/bat combo still hasn't been pulled along with a lot of other signed memorabilia (jerseys, bats, balls, photos).

a nice consolation gesture is that each box purchased includes a ticket for the 1925 yankees ball that will be raffled when they finish selling all boxes (might be more than half-way there from what i saw last weekend).

all-in-all i felt like it has decent value but was a lot of fun because of the wide array of redemptions they inserted. it's much better than wasting the same amount of money on TTT and getting completely screwed on ROI.
here's the ruth ball from the raffle. it's definitely the crown jewel of my collection!

unfortunately it looks like they aren't doing the raffle portion of the product this time around. however, a '52 mantle as the top "chase card" is not bad at all!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

wow that is a sweet Ruth ball! looks similar to heroes of sport, just lower price point to take a shot at a box...very nice!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

More re-pack products, wooo!

congrats.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

On these low run re pack boxes

My biggest concern would be how easy it would be to hold back big hits so people keep buying it

Js

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've heard great things about that shop, would love to visit it one day. Not the best break, but still pretty neat. Insane Ruth ball, by the way!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
On these low run re pack boxes

My biggest concern would be how easy it would be to hold back big hits so people keep buying it

Js
true. however, they do post hits on facebook and put a ton of the boxes on display in the store. i'm not sure if it's the complete run but it looks like it could be. if you're in-store you can pick whichever box/case you want off of the wall.

during the last superbox promo i picked boxes with a Vin Scully autograph as well as a Bryce Harper autographed ball. not sure if these are considered "big hits" but i did see some other nice cards and memorabilia pulled in-store.

also, the owner has mentioned to me that they've been doing these super boxes for a long time (15-20 yrs?). i've only been collecting for one year so my assumption is that their reputation has stood the test of time.

Last edited by Win4Vin; 04-11-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Win4Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

scott, the vp, is definitely one of the more genuine guys you can meet. he knows how to run a hobby shop, that's for sure. prices are not BO level, but aboout 5-10 bucks higher - but there's something about opening packs at hobby shops that i love, so once in a while i drop by. last time i was there i pulled a kevin comer(who?) 1/1 from 2011 elite and andy luck auto from certified, and the first time i went there i pulled a kobe hrx auto card...so it really is my "lucky" store.
jumbogorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Those are really cool. I especially like that second box. Who was the phillies player in the first one?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to barbariansack

I will be purchasing a case if they have any left here soon will post break when I do !
barbariansack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcswim87 View Post
Those are really cool. I especially like that second box. Who was the phillies player in the first one?
gavin floyd... LOL i had completely forgotten that he was on the phillies before the white sox.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Seems like everyone and their mother is packing out cards now a days...