Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5 boxes 1993 Topps Series 1. Jeter rookies and error cards

Nostalgia overload. I remember busting packs of this stuff when I was kid. I decided to grab a few boxes and instead of keeping them on the shelf waiting for them to appreciate $5 more in value over the next 20 years....I decided to bust all the packs

1993 Topps Series 1. Advertised on the box as having a gold card in every pack. 5 boxes = 36 packs = 180 packs. Inserts are the topps gold cards and the topps black gold cards.

So let's get started

In the second box I opened I got a nice little poster. It was only in this box and none of the others. Strange. I wonder how "rare" it is.

Ok onto the packs

One thing I noticed is that there are two kinds of packs. There are packs with some kind of foil on the inside and there are packs without this foil. Im assuming it was some kind of security thing where you aren't supposed to be able to see the cards in the pack until you open it. Or maybe it was something to help preserve the cards or something. All I know is that there were two boxes with the "foil packs" and 3 boxes with the "foil-less packs"

Ok onto the cards. This is where it gets fun

First off, got 5 Jeter rookies. Basically one per box.

Topps Black Gold. Remember these are supposed to be 1:72 packs for a card and 1:180 packs for a winner card. I got one "A" winner and two "B" winner cards and a Larry Walker.

Topps Gold Cards. Got several of these (obviously) with a few all stars (Barry Larkin, Robin Yount, etc) but I did run across a few "error" cards. Looks like these are Topps Gold cards that for some reason didnt have the gold foil applied properly or at all. I was hoping for a Frank Thomas (my own version of the NNOF, lol) but wasn't so fortunate. I did get an Andre Dawson and a Kevin Mitchell, so pretty neat.

Once I realized that I could see some cards through some of the packs, I began taking time to see if there were any all-stars on the tops of the sealed packs. Im not a collector of packs like that, but I know some are. I ended up finding a Tony Gwynn on top of a sealed pack as well as a Derek Jeter! The Jeter pack brings my total up to 6 for the 5 boxes. I wonder if these are worth anything more than what the cards are worth. Pretty cool nonetheless.

Here is the Tony Gwynn. If you compare the stats you will see that they match up.

Here is the card for reference

Here is the Derek Jeter.

And again, the card for reference

For regular base issue cards...I have a lot now. I separated all of the "good" players out. A few notables...

Ken Griffey Jr. - 7

Robin Yount - 10

Tony Gwynn - 4

Kirby Puckett - 5

Roger Clemens - 5

Ryne Sandberg - 7

Mark McGwire - 5

Frank Thomas - 6

Sammy Sosa - 10

Barry Bonds - 4

Plenty of others, I just don't feel like typing them all out.

All in all it was pretty fun breaking these boxes. Unlike most wax boxes from the early 90s, these probably would have held their value pretty well. But what's the fun in having an unopened box on my shelf tempting me like that. haha. Ended up busting 178 packs over 3 evenings (keeping those 2 unopened shown above)

Anyone know anything about the Jeter/Gwynn packs and the "no named" gold cards?
Grimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very cool stroll back in time 20 years! I remember opening these at the local 7-11 when they were released! At that time I was looking for Juan Guzman, JT Snow, Cecil Fielder and Travis Fryman! Apparently never got a Jeter though.
Hallco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow.. I remember those black gold cards. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can't even remember how many packs of that I opened back in the day. I loved the Black Gold cards, and was lucky enough to redeem a winner or two.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Very Cool!!!! Im doing the same thing right now, so far in the last two days Ive opened a box of 1987 Topps and a box of 1990 Topps. Still have one more box to go 1986 Topps.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good eye on noticing the Jeter's on the back of the sealed pack. I would guarantee that a collector would pay a little premium for a graded pack with a Jeter rookie on top/bottom. Get those graded by PSA (turnaround time for pack grading is HORRIBLE, so keep that in mind).
californiakron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I still have that same Larry Walker black gold, LOL. Awesome break, thanks for sharing.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

These were the cards that got me into collecting. The first set my parents bought me was this set and it came with 5 Black gold cards. One of mine was a redemption for the whole set!! I was so excited. Still have it to this day in the binder. Doubt its worth much but love reminiscing about it! Thanks for the break!

SPARTY ON!
msumarr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

awesome awesome break, brings back insane memories for me.

these and the 1993 fleer basketball cards that were inserted in drakes cakes got me into sports card collecting. i LITERALLY spent every penny the summer of 93 buying a packs of these for a don mattingly. NEVER got one! i did get a bunch of that derek jeter guy, even a few gold parellels , one which i traded for tony phillips to my cousin who was a yankees fan. he got me good on that one lol.
rmiller1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Very nice! By '93 I was already out of collecting baseball cards, so it's neat to the cards from that year.
Amberkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Very well written (and photographed) thread....
JDF5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments! Ya, it was a ton of fun. My wife thinks Im crazy, but hey....what's new. haha

I'll look into sending the pack to get graded at PSA. Without pulling up the website, I think the cost is what...around $15 for that service? Meh, Im not in a rush to get it back so it's probably an ok thing to do. Maybe I'll scrounge up a few other cards to send in at the same time.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

I had so much of 1993 back then. I don't remember redeeming the black golds at all. I probably still have the dang cards back in my old bedroom.

I remember having at least 5 jeters. they were one of my first ebay sales in like 2004 or something.

thanks for posting
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

I remember opening lots of these packs and can still remember the smell of the new cards. Thanks for the blast from the past!
youseekyoda421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

I know I redeemed one "Set A" and one "Set B", but I'm pretty sure I ended up with a double of someone and then 1 card short of the full black gold set.

I was also lucky enough to pull a Jeter topps gold, but seeing as I had everything in binder pages and hadn't heard of a toploader, I'm sure the corners are pretty beat up.
85GoCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GoCards View Post
I know I redeemed one "Set A" and one "Set B", but I'm pretty sure I ended up with a double of someone and then 1 card short of the full black gold set.

I was also lucky enough to pull a Jeter topps gold, but seeing as I had everything in binder pages and hadn't heard of a toploader, I'm sure the corners are pretty beat up.

Always worth a quick peek to see if the corners are beat up or not.

It's funny, as a kid all I cared about was the condition of the corners and the player on the card. I could care less about surface condition and edges and even centering. Nowadays, I tend to over analyze every card and see which ones are "worth keeping".

I've gone through all of the cards and there are several stars that would end up being PSA 10's (in my opinion)...but they aren't worth much even that condition. So it's not really worth the gamble to see if they really are PSA 10's if it costs ~$6-10 per card to get it graded. Im seeing auctions on ebay going for $10-15 for like Griffey in perfect condition (non-gold). Oh well, point was not to try to make money but just for fun...which is was.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiakron View Post
Good eye on noticing the Jeter's on the back of the sealed pack. I would guarantee that a collector would pay a little premium for a graded pack with a Jeter rookie on top/bottom. Get those graded by PSA (turnaround time for pack grading is HORRIBLE, so keep that in mind).
Just sent the pack off for grading TODAY. PSA is supposed to get the package on Monday. I figure they will have it into the system a few days after that. So Im guessing....July 14th? That's my prediction right now....let's see how good I am and how fast this 55-day turn around actually is.....