Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BOX & CASE BREAKS > BASEBALL BOX BREAKS

BASEBALL BOX BREAKS Post your Baseball Box & Case Breaks Here !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5 Random 90s Boxes

I'm not like some of the other lucky people on here that get baseball cards for Christmas. I used to back in like middle and high school, but now I just get practical things. And money, which I decided to use some of to buy myself some cards since nobody else is going to :P.

Ordered the following boxes:
1997 Topps Stars
1997 New Pinnacle
1998 Pinnacle Performers
1999 Upper Deck MVP
2000 UD Ionix

In the order I actually opened them up, first was the Pinnacle Performers box. Loved this set as a kid (because it was cheap I'm sure), but wasn't expecting much from it. Had a long shot at a Big Bang Seasonal Outburst card.

No such luck, but I got a few PC Braves cards and did pretty well with the parallels. The Juan Gonzalez is /10000. Would have been super excited about that in 1998 haha.

Next I opened up the New Pinnacle box. This was the first set to every include printing plates in packs. The odds are high, but I figured it was worth a shot. (None of these boxes except the Topps Stars box were over $20 I think.)

I think this was actually my favorite box of the break just because the inserts are so awesome looking. Say what you will about pinnnacle, the dufex cards are amazing. And it was nice to hit the Chipper card.

The Thomas is 1:96 packs.

Next up was the UD Ionix. Just a fun break overall with awesome looking cards even though I didn't hit anything outside of the expected per box odds.

It's too bad I'm not a Mike Piazza collector, or I would have been really damn happy by this point...

Unfortunately, the break got sort of boring after this. I opened up the 1999 Upper Deck MVP next. Loved this set as a kid as well, for the same reason. There was a chance for some really nice cards, but I just got the standard stuff and a few ok parallels. I should be able to finally finish the set at least.

Would not buy this product again. The foil inserts are all so similar and unimaginative, and the nicer cards are rather rare.

Now the final box I was pretty excited about. Paid $55 for the 1997 Topps Stars. When I'd been researching the products on baseballcardpedia it said that autos fell 1:30 packs, so I thought I had a really good chance at an auto of an older player. And I would have been happy with just about anyone on the checklist.

Sadly, when I opened the box and saw the pack odds, the autos weren't listed. They just said "randomly inserted", which is usually card company speak for "good luck finding one of these". What I think happened is someone took the odds from beckett and copied them to baseballcardpedia. And in this case, the odds in beckett are wrong, because they also have the 97 All Star cards listed at 1:24 packs when they're 1:72 on the wrappers.

Alas, no auto for me. The Ripken insert IS really nice, although not worth a lot. And the parallels weren't terrible. Was just a let down for what I was hoping would be the highlight of the break. Plus the base collation was pretty bad. Won't be buying this product again either.

Still, an overall fun break. Should be able to put together a few sets and have some nice shiny cards. Keeping all Braves of course, and the Ripken die cut, and all of the UD Ionix. Rest is probably available for trade if you want anything.

Thanks for the look!
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

PM me a price on the groovy looking Piazza insert
Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Solid stuff!

-Brandon

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) I am the proud 3 time recipient of Blowout's Jester of the Year Award (Funniest Member of the Year) - 2011, 2012, 2013
brandonlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

The back of the Topps Stars cards, there should be one or two that are silver-foilish. Those are "always mint" parallels. There are buyers out there for that set still. Also, the autograph odds are 1:30. I only ever opened one box without an autograph in it.

I wish I could find more. Only thing, the cards themselves stunk of chemical, I don't know why.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ceczerwonka Send a message via Yahoo to ceczerwonka

Decent break overall. I love the look of the Pinnacle inserts and parallels. Did you hit any Kerry Wood rookies in the 1997 Stars?
ceczerwonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
The back of the Topps Stars cards, there should be one or two that are silver-foilish. Those are "always mint" parallels. There are buyers out there for that set still. Also, the autograph odds are 1:30. I only ever opened one box without an autograph in it.

I wish I could find more. Only thing, the cards themselves stunk of chemical, I don't know why.
Well, damn. Just my bad luck then I guess . The Randy Johnson and Craig Biggio cards I scanned were my Always Mint parallels. Guess I'll see if I can find a buyer for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceczerwonka View Post
Decent break overall. I love the look of the Pinnacle inserts and parallels. Did you hit any Kerry Wood rookies in the 1997 Stars?
I'm pretty sure I hit at least one. I'll look later and let you know.
DaBaddestHic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

I know you probably aren't selling, but I'd be interested in any Braves you pulled, particularly Maddux and Chipper.

EDIT: I just learned howz to read, sorry.

Last edited by calculusdork; 12-31-2013 at 10:55 AM.
calculusdork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
XL5

Mr. Erstad!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

pm me if you want to trade that frank thomas

Updating my Photobucket
http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd55/bluecarpetkicks/
bluecarpetkicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Great break. Love this stuff.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

put me in line for the Thomas... will either buy or trade
Tfangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Awesome, makes me think of being in grade school as a kid spending countless hours at my local card shop. Thanks for the memories!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Interested in the Griffey Jr inserts. Pm if available.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

I know I have the GRIFFEY Shockwave, unsure on the BioRhyth. - looks familiar tho, hmmmmm, sweet break!

KEN>>>GRIFFEY>>>JUNIOR>>>SUPERCOLLECTOR
Also interested in very rare Hunter Pence RC's only
Thundering24 is offline   Reply With Quote