Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74
Default CC Sabathia

So the Brewers are basically renting CC for the rest of this year and in the process gave up at least one promising prospect in Matt Laporta who is hitting .288 with 20 homers and 66Rbis for their AA team in Huntsville.

Does anyone else think this is a really really bad trade? I dont think the Brewers will be able to keep both CC and Sheets and they might just lose them both next year.

2007 Bowman Chrome seems to be getting a lot of attention on the bay.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Boo

Yes, dumb trade in my opinion. I doubt they will be able to sign either Sheets or Sabathia after this year. So you are renting him hoping you can beat the Cubs or Phils and then the AL Champ...who will be the favorite to win it all.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

The first weekend in September looks like a potential CC vs Johan game in Milwaukee.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yea I don't understand it at all eitheir. I heard rumors that they wanted to trade away Prince Fielder so now they decide to trade away his replacement? I guess they are sticking with Fielder. If they don't make the playoffs it will be a bad trade, if they make the playoffs it will be a decent trade. It is a weak year in baseball this year. Yankees are really hurt, Boston aint that great, stinks away, Tampa best team in the majors? Yea the Brewers have a shot at winning the world series with C.C. and Sheets going 1-2
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

From what I'm gathering, the Brewers have no intentions of signing either Sheets or Sabathia after the season. If that's the case, they get 4 draft picks as compensation for them leaving. The rumblings I have heard has their AA team as being STACKED with talent. They may trade J J Hardy and/or Prince Fielder in the off-season for pitching prospects. If Gallarado comes back strong and they get some more pitching, they could be making noise for the next few seasons. A lot of if's, but as a lower market team you do what you have to to survive.
Munsonmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't understand about Fielder. Why did they trade him and still want to trade Feilder, who do they have to replace him?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

That is the only way small market teams can make it to the playoffs. They have prospects come up from their system that become studs and they demand crazy money once they become established. The small market team loses them to FA and they gain additional prospects and begin the cycle all over again.

Maybe one day that player that was nothing and becomes something will stay with the team that got him to where he is.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thinking long term the Brewers biggest mistake was trading Matt LaPorta. When trading for big name veteran players I don't think that teams pay enough attention to the numerous amount of prospects that they are getting rid of for them. The Brewers are contenders and Sabathia may or may not help them get to the playoffs. Whether or not he has a good first season in the majors, I'm certain that Matt LaPorta will become a great player. He's an incredible power hitter who also has experience as a catcher (which would help him always have a spot in the line-up) and my prediction is that he'll be ready for a call-up as soon as next season.

At least the Brewers kept third baseman Mat Gamel (for those who don't know, he's probably the most promising player in the minors) but imagine a batting line-up (two or three years from now) with Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Matt LaPorta & Mat Gamel. Thats some serious power that pitchers would have a hard time getting around without giving up runs. C.C. Sabathia is temporary but if in time LaPorta is able to bat as well in the majors as in the minors, the Brewers would have possibly become a yearly contender club.

It is a weak year in baseball this year. Yankees are really hurt, Boston aint that great, stinks away, Tampa best team in the majors?

Why does that make this this year in baseball weak? Because the same predictable teams who always make it to the playoffs might actually not and for once the predicted losers just might? I like surprises and change, makes things interesting. Repetition makes me sick unless its my home team thats doing it. Its just a weak year for the Yankees and Red Sox fans.
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

At least the Brewers kept third baseman Mat Gamel (for those who don't know, he's probably the most promising player in the minors) but imagine a batting line-up (two or three years from now) with Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Matt LaPorta & Mat Gamel.

This is all assuming they keep Fielder which is not a sure thing.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is all assuming they keep Fielder which is not a sure thing.

...and I sure hope that they don't get rid of him! Unless they make a trade for a handful of spectacular prospects (preferably pitchers) I think that trading him would make a big dent in future post season possibility
Old 07-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

LaPorta, like all prospects, is not a sure thing. Sure he's done well at the AA level, but how many other guys have done that only to never reach their potential at the higher level.

Brewers could realistically have 5 of the first 35-40 picks in the draft next year if they lose Sheets and Sabathia to free agency to add to an already stacked farm system (even after this deal).

There were 10 players on their Huntsville AA team that made their all-star team this year. LaPorta is just one of those guys.

Gamel will likely be moved to right field, but could very well play 1B when Fielder is traded. He has around the same amount of power as LaPorta, but hits for a better average (fielding is a problem though - wish he could play 3B).
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

I still can't believe ppl think this is a bad deal for the Brew Crew. I think they made out like a bandit. They only gave up one solid prospect for a top 3 lefty in the game. Granted yes he might only be there for half a year but would you rather have your team potentially win a title or sit on these prospects all the time. If the Brew Crew had to give up one more big time prospect people could be pissed about the trade. They gave up more last year for Scott Linebrink than they did this year for Papa John.

If I were a Brewer fan I would be so excited because the window is closing on their team and this might be one of the last good looks they have at it. Plus, why worry about LaPorta when he will just fall into the same boat as Sheets and Prince if he becomes a star they will never be able to resign him. There is nothing given that LaPorta will be the second coming of anybody. Do ppl remember the name Andy Marte who the Red Sox and Indians got in what were steal of a deals. He never made it. For every Braun you have many many flops like Marte.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

This is old time baseball trades. Remember when teams used to trade away their farm system for short term rentals? Remember Scott Kazmir trade! Remember Randy Johnson, Carlos Beltran, etc. etc. Teams used to trade their farm system for rentals, we are going back to the old times with this trade, so in that regards I think it was a horrible trade. If you are going to trade your top prospect only trade him, not 2-3 other guys on top of it.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradolson View Post
LaPorta, like all prospects, is not a sure thing. Sure he's done well at the AA level, but how many other guys have done that only to never reach their potential at the higher level.
No prospect is ever a sure thing. If they were then the teams would know which prospects to keep and trade. All trades are risky, sure-thing veterans turn out to be awful in different leagues or their career has already peaked, etc. Prospects turn out to be over-hyped and some become huge superstars like Pujols or A-Rod...hard to believe but they were prospects at one point also.

Its always an assumption whether or not a prospect can produce as well as they do in the minors. Matt LaPorta is my assumption and I think that they made a big mistake trading him away with 3 other prospects for C.C. Sabathia, who hasn't been having that great of a season...and thats all that they'll have him for, the rest of the season.

There were 10 players on their Huntsville AA team that made their all-star team this year. LaPorta is just one of those guys.

So, whats your point of opinion?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsonmanor View Post
From what I'm gathering, the Brewers have no intentions of signing either Sheets or Sabathia after the season.
where are you "gathering" this from? do you know somebody on the brewers executive team? seems pretty ridiculous that the brewers have no "intentions" of resigning two top pitchers. you dont win if you dont have pitching right??
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

I heard on ESPNEWS that the Brewers have no intentions on signing both Sabathia nor Sheets if they dont get far in the playoffs this year....those 2 are going to have huge salaries once they become FA and the Brewers are more than likely to get 5 Draft Picks next year, which they said will not be a bad thing because they have been doing really well in recent drafts....either way I dont see Sabathia being a big hit in Milwaukee...I think the Indians got a steal with LaPorta

Photobucket:
http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Matts_cardz/library/?sort=3&page=1
matts_cardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ok this is really interesting to read all of the different views and points on this trade. I really think this is a good for both sides (more probly for the Indians but thats just my opinion...and being a Tribe fan you would expect that)
But really, look at the Brews who have had extreme troubles making the playoffs and really have a good chance this season. The upper's in the Brews management/ownership are getting tired and want some answers and want something to finally show for their team. Their GM already came out today and said that this was the year to go for it and make the moves. Thats why they gave up so much for C.C. The possiblity of them signing CC and Sheets are really slim. Those are just two crazy contracts that the Brews aren't normally going to make an attempt at. But overall this gives them probly the best 1-2 pitcher combo in the National League and possibly the American League as well. With the draft picks they will have after this season they will be able to pick up plenty of future prospects. As for the Indians not only are they getting a great prospect in LaPorta....who may not be proven at the Major level but if the Brews weren't so stacked at first base he would have been in the Majors awhile ago. He was actaully moved to the OF in the minors so that his chance of moving up were faster and better. But the Indians will also most likely be getting Taylor Green from Class A. Those who don't know about Green, he is a third baseman who is considered to be one of the Brews minor future greats/Top Prospects. He is a great hitter and defensive player and was actually player of the year last season in Class A. Rob Bryson is a great hard throwing pitcher that is actually ranked 9th in the Brews top prospect list. Zach Jaskson is just an average player and just a "throw in " to this deal for Indians starting pitching depth. So overall I think this is good for both sides....atleast for the remainder of this season for the Brews.

Always Looking For Zetterberg Patch Autos
vortekv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
This is old time baseball trades. Remember when teams used to trade away their farm system for short term rentals? Remember Scott Kazmir trade! Remember Randy Johnson, Carlos Beltran, etc. etc. Teams used to trade their farm system for rentals, we are going back to the old times with this trade, so in that regards I think it was a horrible trade. If you are going to trade your top prospect only trade him, not 2-3 other guys on top of it.
This reminds me of the Red Sox trading Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson...dont think that one worked out to well for the Sox. Don't think the Laporta/Sabathia trade is that bad but I think the Indians will make out better in the long run.

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortekv8 View Post
With the draft picks they will have after this season they will be able to pick up plenty of future prospects. As for the Indians not only are they getting a great prospect in LaPorta....who may not be proven at the Major level but if the Brews weren't so stacked at first base he would have been in the Majors awhile ago.
Awhile ago?? Are you kidding? His first pro game was less than 12 months ago (August 7th) and he's only had a total of 417 at-bats. Calling LaPorta up to the majors this year would be much too soon. None of last years draft picks have been called up yet (with exception of David Price but was called back down after injury).
Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Never ever call up a prospect too early... Just look at Cameron Maybin he may not ever be the same again.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

im sure he'll be up soon, the tribe are throwing in the towel and looking to see what they have for the upcoming seasons

Photobucket:
http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Matts_cardz/library/?sort=3&page=1
matts_cardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #22 (permalink)

There is a story out there that says the Indians contacted the Mets about CC. Indians GM said the mets had the pieces but Omar wouldnt pull the trigger. I would have loved to have seen a rotation of Santana, CC, Pedro, Maine, and Pelfrey

It would have taken a package of Fernando Martinez and a pitcher like Jon Niese or Eddie Kunz, as well as another mid-level pitching prospect…

As a die hard Mets fan I know we have deeper issues like a 1B and a 2B along with our corner outfielders. I dont remember seeing the Mets "complete" lineup this year. Whenever Church was playing Alou wasnt.

Last edited by jbellis74; 07-08-2008 at 09:50 AM.
jbellis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

and who says the Brewers could lock up laPorta long term. Not everyone is like Longoria who takes a small contract with the Rays.

I just hope LaPorta makes a stop in Buffalo and then play in Toledo.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote