Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post Ronald Reagan Hair Cut Signature 1/1 From Piece Of History!!!

I just pulled the Ronald Reagan Piece of History Hair Cut Signature 1/1 out of a Retail box from Target. I am going to list it on Ebay, but should I go ahead and redeem it so I have the actual card, or just list it as the redemption? What do you think it's worth?

Last edited by att10; 08-30-2008 at 04:40 PM.
att10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Being that it is a deceased President card you would have to think that the card is already made so if you did redeem it you would not have to wait long for it. I don't think that it would make much of a difference in the price you would get since it is a 1/1. You will not be competing with other people to get the first one on ebay.
ifish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Why would they put a card like that in retail???
Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wow, great pull! and to think it is out of Retail! amazing!

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Laila Ali
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would say it is worth somewhere between 1k and 3k!

I wouldn't redeem it. Just sell it and let the person who buys it worry with waiting on Upper Deck for the next year!

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Laila Ali
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
Why would they put a card like that in retail???
You have to take a second and think about the current market. It will all go retail, it's just a matter of time. Retail cards have to be the largest market in the industry at this time. Think about all of the Wallmarts and Targets across the United States. Think about how many blaster boxes they sell each year. The better hits they put in retail, the better their sales are. Not only that, they make more money on blaster boxes than on hobby boxes when it comes to lower end products like Topps Chrome, Bowman, Topps series one and two, Upper Deck series one and two, Goudey, Turkey Red, etc.... Distribution is cheaper, and they can just throw the cards on a shelf, instead of having a clerk manning a store that only sells sports cards. It makes me sad but it is the truth.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
You have to take a second and think about the current market. It will all go retail, it's just a matter of time. Retail cards have to be the largest market in the industry at this time. Think about all of the Wallmarts and Targets across the United States. Think about how many blaster boxes they sell each year. The better hits they put in retail, the better their sales are. Not only that, they make more money on blaster boxes than on hobby boxes when it comes to lower end products like Topps Chrome, Bowman, Topps series one and two, Upper Deck series one and two, Goudey, Turkey Red, etc.... Distribution is cheaper, and they can just throw the cards on a shelf, instead of having a clerk manning a store that only sells sports cards. It makes me sad but it is the truth.
I agree with most of what you said there, but still, with all the money that we throw into the hobby, why would a card company want to dog us by throwing one of the best cards in a set into retail?? They know that most serious collectors would never consider buying blaster boxes to try and make a profit on the resale market. Would you go out and buy a case of blasters and get a few worthless gu'ed cards, or a few boxes of the same thing and get something better. The day that the hobby goes entirely retail is the day that serious collectors stop buying cards.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

I listed the card on ebay.

2008 UD POH HAIR CUT SIGNATURE AUTO RONALD REAGAN 1/1 - eBay (item 260269559853 end time Aug-05-08 12:17:09 PDT)
Old 07-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
I agree with most of what you said there, but still, with all the money that we throw into the hobby, why would a card company want to dog us by throwing one of the best cards in a set into retail?? They know that most serious collectors would never consider buying blaster boxes to try and make a profit on the resale market. Would you go out and buy a case of blasters and get a few worthless gu'ed cards, or a few boxes of the same thing and get something better. The day that the hobby goes entirely retail is the day that serious collectors stop buying cards.
do you realize that the card compamies could care less about whether or not people are busting their product for resale..... let alone whether or not we make a profit on it.

why do you think Hobby Store allocations were cut by ALL manufacturers?... because it is cheaper for them to send huge shipments to distributors than it is to send a few cases to the shops.(this was stated above, but towards retail outlets)....

the retail side is larger than anyone thinks....... it most likely dwarfs the hobby sales.
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know the card companies could care less about the end user of their product. Which sucks really. If they plan on going all retail they may end up screwing themselves. High $$ products like The Cup and Exquisite are huge products for them. The production cost on them vs the sale is not even worth comparing. What would they do with higher end products if they went retail???
Old 08-02-2008, 02:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hey man, good for you pulling that card. Yeah, those who frequent the hobby stores should have better shots at the big pulls (and they do), but the retail stores gotta have some lottery pulls to keep the biz alive. What, we want the card companies to not insert any big pulls in retail just because some of us buy cases? You have a point, but also remember that the life of the industry comes from multiple sources, not just the whales.
derek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

I love the attitude towards retail. Retails to me deserve the same chances at cards.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

We did pretty good on a Goudey retail box today. Pulled a Warren Spahn GU, Ripken mini HPOC, Tom Seaver mini, couple Sports Royalty cards, Andrew Johnson President, a couple Yankee Stadium Legacy cards and a few other nice ones.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

nice...one of the most important u.s. presidents of the century...
UCLAalumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
I love the attitude towards retail. Retails to me deserve the same chances at cards.
I think it frustrates people to see the retail get better inserts, like last year's Fleer Ultra hockey and the Topps Chrome line.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

yet they don't realize that they still get 99% of the real good hits. Lets not forget where cards even started now.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I think it frustrates people to see the retail get better inserts, like last year's Fleer Ultra hockey and the Topps Chrome line.
I agree with this sentiment, but if a certain retail product has more desirable inserts, it makes sense to not buy the hobby packs/boxes/cases for that particular release. Again, I agree that the dealers who buy cases of hobby packs have every right to complain about retail having certain hits taken away from them, but it seems a bit like a teenage boy picking on a five-year-old to me, and I hope nobody convinces me to elaborate on that analogy because I don't think there is a need but I will if it's too confusing to understand or, even more ridiculously, offensive somehow.

Basically, big-time dealers pay good money and get rewarded fairly in my opinion, at least more fairly than retail shoppers. Here's what I'm talking about: retail pack buyers pay what, $2-$3 on a pack of cards to get a 100,000:1+ shot at a piece of hair? That same hit might come at 25,000:1 in hobby packs, and while you have to buy in bulk to get a better price, you're basically paying the same $2-$3 per pack (if not less) and getting more inserts at better odds. The one complaint I see if you're a hobby pack buyer is that you are spending hundreds if not thousands more than the retail buyer, but is it wrong to say you are being compensated fairly? Even more obvious is that busting wax is a gamble on all levels, so those who complain might want to just invest in the wax and flip them rather than bust them yourself (or buy singles instead). I say let them have their one or two big hits if it helps them keep buying packs, and that's all I was trying to say in the first place.

Personally, I don't buy retail and I bust very little wax compared to some of you ($5k a year tops for me). I have no bias at all. I just feel like retail collectors deserve a super long shot at decent cards is all. Retail collectors need the big-time collectors to keep the hobby going, and vice versa. If I'm wrong, I suppose companies will stop selling retail altogether, and if I'm right, then why would anybody buy retail if there was nothing to look forward to pull? It's the same reason people buy a lottery ticket.

Anyway KMD, I agree with your point and don't blame people who are frustrated. I likewise don't blame the little guy who doesn't have a lot of money to spend for wanting better hits that is afforded to the hobbyists.
derek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

wow, the jackie kennedy was pulled from retail as well.
dustyshelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports

the card on e-bay was removed....u putting it on again?
deboesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

I sold it on Ebay.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports

yeah, but it would still show up on e-bay
deboesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by att10 View Post
I sold it on Ebay.
Did you pull the ad and sell if offline?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Did you pull the ad and sell if offline?
No, I sold it on Ebay through Best Offer. It probably isn't showing up since it was over 90 days ago.