Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Store Clerk Cracks Down on Packsearchers!

Actually unfortunately I have to report I just came across the opposite. At the Pamida (a midwest Target-type store) about 10 miles from my apartment, I was buying a few packs of Bowman Draft and two packs of Topps Prime Football, along with a few other groceries. When I get to the register I'm greeted by an older lady (probably in her 60's or 70's), and when she scans my packs she says "Hope you got the good ones". I kinda smiled, then she said something like "There was a guy in here earlier today who spent forever going through and picking out packs. He said there's some kind of way to find the good ones?" Playing dumb, I kinda shrugged as if to say "WTH?"

Needless to say I got next to nothing in the packs, and I wasn't too happy to hear that story. Makes me want to apply for a job there just so I can keep an eye on the card section for this guy. For all I know he could've had a scale and everything and this lady didn't give a da**.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I never buy retail packs unless I see the Target or Wal Mart clerk put the boxes out while I am there. Everything is being searched.
babybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybull View Post
I never buy retail packs unless I see the Target or Wal Mart clerk put the boxes out while I am there. Everything is being searched.
I try to stick to blasters or rack packs but unfortunately I couldn't find a blaster I wanted.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
I try to stick to blasters or rack packs but unfortunately I couldn't find a blaster I wanted.
Even the rack packs are searched at the Target near me. They are all usually laying off of the rack on top of boxes. I never search, but one thing I did notice about Bowman Platinum is that the auto rack packs are obvious because.........

Good luck, STUMP
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Where is the part about "cracking down" on the searchers?

Oh wait there isn't. Let's see how many posts Zacky can get out of this one though...
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybull View Post
not everything! pulled a auto out of a loose pack of platinum last week! But yeah i will not buy loose packs anymore, i was just lucky.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Inactive Account

I really hate pack searchers. Fortunately for me, my local retailers' packs aren't really seached. I've gotten my fair share of hits out of retail packs.

Last edited by robertr1105; 01-30-2011 at 02:17 PM.
robertr1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've had cashiers tell me that someone was looking for an hour, or man, some guy just came in a bought 22 packs, or you just missed our "regular" guy. Blaster is all I'll buy from retail or maybe some new stuff on release.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
and this lady didn't give a da**.
please explain why this lady SHOULD even give a damn............
Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually unfortunately I have to report I just came across the opposite. At the Pamida (a midwest Target-type store) about 10 miles from my apartment, I was buying a few packs of Bowman Draft and two packs of Topps Prime Football, along with a few other groceries. When I get to the register I'm greeted by an older lady (probably in her 60's or 70's), and when she scans my packs she says "Hope you got the good ones". I kinda smiled, then she said something like "There was a guy in here earlier today who spent forever going through and picking out packs. He said there's some kind of way to find the good ones?" Playing dumb, I kinda shrugged as if to say "WTH?"

Needless to say I got next to nothing in the packs, and I wasn't too happy to hear that story. Makes me want to apply for a job there just so I can keep an eye on the card section for this guy. For all I know he could've had a scale and everything and this lady didn't give a da**.
pamida? theyre still around? i remember there used to be one in platteville years ago. so there must be one in boscobel or lancaster?? oh btw, i'm originally from dodgeville... GO PACKERS!!!
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
pamida? theyre still around? i remember there used to be one in platteville years ago. so there must be one in boscobel or lancaster?? oh btw, i'm originally from dodgeville... GO PACKERS!!!
I figured. Yeah it's in Lancaster.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
please explain why this lady SHOULD even give a damn............
They don't stop me from picking the pop tarts box that isn't bent, why would they think about stopping someone looking for a pack that feels good to them. We know people do it, workers do it too I'm sure. Just buy blasters when you get the itch and play it safe.
vinbots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
zep

mmm Pop Tarts
zep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Pack searching is part of buying that stuff at the retail level. If it pisses you off so bad, just buy blasters or hobby product. Quit whining all the time about it.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Pack searching is not going to go away.....and personally, I see nothing wrong with it. I know that I am one of the few on here that feel that way, or shall I say will flat out state that I feel that way. But I could care less if someone searches or not. With that being said, I bet a small percentage of people on this site search and are the very ones that start threads like this.
Madlab7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

So you knew the packs were searched already and still bought the packs?! Do you not see the problem there? lol
btimm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimm View Post
So you knew the packs were searched already and still bought the packs?! Do you not see the problem there? lol
Uhhh...no, there was no sign of the packs being searched from the couple boxes that were left. Plus like I said Bowman Draft I buy for the base cards too anyway.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Fair enough.
btimm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimm View Post
Fair enough.
I can't think well on a whim. If I had an ounce of time to re-think my purchase I might have put the packs back but it didn't happen.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

i bought 3 blasters today of 09/10 topps basketball and seen 5 blasters of bowman draft with no wrap what so ever. i guess wal mart hasnt seen this ? and there hoping someone will buy it anyways ? i cringed when i seen that.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

i caught a dude cutting the ends to see what the packs had in them. i notified the security and they called the cops. i seriously hate that. im glad some packs have decoys in them to throw people off.
chrisxacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisxacosta View Post
i caught a dude cutting the ends to see what the packs had in them. i notified the security and they called the cops. i seriously hate that. im glad some packs have decoys in them to throw people off.
Damn... I've never heard of people cutting the ends of packs. That's pretty pathetic.

And why do packsearchers waste so much time playing around with retail packs? So they can get that big Hank Blalock jersey card? Gimme a break.
longlivethewho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlivethewho1 View Post
Damn... I've never heard of people cutting the ends of packs. That's pretty pathetic.

And why do packsearchers waste so much time playing around with retail packs? So they can get that big Hank Blalock jersey card? Gimme a break.
They reseal the pack with the Hank Blalock jersey card and sell it as a "Hot Pack" to the winning sucker on eBay.
38stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

I see multiple people searching all the time at target

would never touch a pack of retail

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
I see multiple people searching all the time at target

would never touch a pack of retail
Perhaps it's worth waiting every now and then to go out of my way to get cards, instead of just going to places close to me. At least I'll know what I'm getting is legit. Plus, hobby is better than retail anyway (except maybe for some blasters).