Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default PSA/BGS Grading Question

My LCS wasn't much help with this question, so I'm hoping someone here can lend a hand. I have a 2005 Bowman Chrome Draft Jay Bruce Refractor that I'm considering getting graded. I'll post pics later, but the front is pretty close to perfect - great centering (no worse than 55/45 anywhere), sharp corners, good surface. The back, however, has very poor centering (80/20 LR and 65/35 TB).

Does PSA grade the back and the front of a card? Probably a dumb question, since I know BGS does.

If I can pull a 9 out of it from either one, I'll get it graded - otherwise, I'll keep it raw. I know I can submit a 'Min Grade' request, but I was hoping for some insight before I go to the hassle.

Thanks...
endthecurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

PSA Sports Card Grading Standards

...but to answer your question -- if it is perfect besides the 80/20 and 65/35 on back, you should be able to get a PSA 9 according to their standards.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

OK... I'm not complaining about this at all, but found it interesting that the card in question (2005 Bowman Chrome Draft Jay Bruce Refractor) came back with a '10' for Centering! It's the same card I submitted last month... with 80/20 LR and 65/35 TB centering on the back. The front is perfect, though.

So much for the back of a card counting in the grade. Good thing... this came back as a 9.5.
endthecurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was under the impression that BGS doesnt care at all about the back centering-which makes no sense to me.....I didnt know this till about a year ago... still refuse to send stuff in because of how biased and judgemental grading is

PS Forget Strasburg... Jordan Zimmermann is the Next Big thing in DC in 2009 and Beyond!
DadofTwins is online now   Reply With Quote