Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default so this is my disappointment in the 2008 releases

So after all the releases have been announced i have now sat and pondered why have been disappointed in this years releases.
to start i haven't been back in the hobby long but i have been buying a good amount of past years to catch up.

so this year there was no true retiree/HOF only release. UD killed the legendary cuts brand by having most of all current players, and there was no sweet spot classics this year, at one point it seemed that was the way to go and i enjoy those boxes but topps really had none last year and UD stopped this year. all they did this year was add the players to a good amount of releases and make them almost impossible to get.

Then some of the setts i enjoyed just vanished, 52 rookies i really enjoyed, turkey red is one of my favorite sets and to just abandon ultra was wrong.

I understand the fact that they are limited to the amount of releases they can have a year but i really believe they botched the whole year. i mean what was the deal with upper deck x they seem like they didn't put much thought into it.

well i felt i had to rant.
orguss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have felt the same way, so don't feel bad about the rant. Over the last 4 years I had built every baseball set produced and as of this year have started to lose interest in most of the products. I have stuck to my commitment and not bought any 08 UD baseball products and been glad I did so. I collect only baseball, so the other sports releases don't get me to excited.
As a set builder this has been a very boring year for me with what seems like fewer than normal Topps releases. There has been a long dry spell and it seems like with Heritage High Series and Bowman Draft getting pushed back that it will be Christmas before there is something worth breaking. I have a feeling that EEE and Bowman Sterling will both be a bust after having a good rookie crop last year.
I guess I have passed the time by taking advantage of the bad economy and purchasing HOF autos off Ebay. I have been breaking 05-07 products when I get the itch. At the prices most are on the weekend specials it almost seems stupid to pay full price for new stuff that generally is going to have the same crap in them most of the time.
Then to see sell sheets for 2009 products makes me sick. I still have yet to get that excited about a single 2008 product yet. If this trend keeps up I think I will start buying vending boxes and putting together the sets from the 70's and 80's. They may not be worth much, but they alteast will hold there value.
Looks like your rant, got me to rant!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I agree fully with both of you. I am a set builder and like to do master sets. Most of the sets are near impossible to put together and the selection isn't that great. I never liked that they always put so many rookies out that I have never heard of and will probably never see play in the majors. I try to stay with older products like pduce. I put together the 93, 94, 95 SP Football sets and am about to start on the Baseball versions. The 94 SP Holoview Die-cuts are pretty expensive. 90 Leaf, 92 Bowman, etc. At least I know everyone is already established and there are guys that are now in the HOF. I am pretty sure that I will be putting together the 2008 UD Documentary set. I like the idea of a set of cards for all of the games. Quite a challenge and I will probably go for the gold parallel set as well. That should keep me busy for a few years.
ifish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree, not having Turkey Red is a major bummer. Bad move Topps.
AmericaLovesCrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have to agree as well. I have been pretty disappointed with baseball releases this year. A lot of the solid releases were really watered down (Bowman Chrome anyone??) and there wasn't anything new that really excited me. I enjoy the retired player sets as well and while I like Topps getting the rights to a number of the top players in that category, it seems like there wasn't much done on that front to take advantage of it.....perhaps it happened too late to come up with something, I don't know--but I didn't see anything that got me too excited. We'll see what 2009 brings, and I have a few older sets that I will probably be working on for a long time so I guess I don't need too much else to spend money on. However, it would be nice to see something come along to rejuvenate the market a bit. I do have to say that while I haven't bought any--Donruss Threads did look like one of the most interesting products I have seen.
Highlander23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

have you seen the new playoff? sure it still has a few rookies, but the HOF. wow! only downside is it will be $200 for 5 cards.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Is this collecting??

I too echo orguss' sentiments... where has the all the fun in the hobby gone?!

I understand the excitement for new products but sometimes these high-end cards can be a drag on this hobby and actually it takes away the real purpose of 'collecting'. When I started collecting in '84 it wasn't about how many high-end cards you could get in one box and resell-why?...because there were none! It was about how many rookie cards you had of your favorite star. Nowadays they've taken it to a whole new level..and its not all that fun when you have to pay $200 for a pack of something that may not even contain ONE single rookie!?!? This is called gambling..not collecting! ..and parallel sets are very much a waste of space and paper/cardboard IMO..they do not have a place and they should replace them with ROOKIE CARDS instead!

How about paying for a box/pack of cards (think expensive!) and receiving damaged cards in return.. how say you-retailers/hobby shops and manufacturers??.. where's the recourse for the collector? do we dare pay the extra postage to send it back and pray to the cardboard gods we get something actually worth the same value & wait the 6+months in doing so?? ... So not only do we get error-cards and non-centered cards, we also get randomly inserted-DAMAGED cards now? -WTF??? well.. needless to say i'm preaching to the choir and you've all been though it and know where i'm going with this... upper deck is famous for it lol!

So when 2009 comes around and things are still the same, I plan on buying less boxed product and just going for what I collect.

Its sad but it is what it is... all the one of one/three of seven/five of nine, superx-fractacular, green/purple/pink/blue/maroon, world-famous-whitewhalediecut, goldsliverplatinummedallion....yada-yada-blah-blah~! When will the madness end??

Last edited by Highcheese4U; 11-04-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Agree, especially on turkey red. Love that set.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Is it any wonder why the best sets every year are those priced under 5 bucks a pack? There is still a segment of the hobby looking for the big payoff in one or two packs rips and will pay for it, but for most, this just isn't fun anymore. I would much rather rip 24 packs for 75 bucks than putting all my marbles into one pack for 75 bucks.

In football, people have seen that there are just not to many player anymore whose
autograph is worth more than say 75 bucks. I think people are realizing that for baseball now. Ripken and Ryan, and guys who autographs used to be a big deal, are now not a big deal. Companies can't keep passing these costs onto collectors, especially in this economy! For me I will remember 2009 for heritage and Allen & Ginter. Fun sets.

Kevin
HeritageKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeritageKing View Post
Is it any wonder why the best sets every year are those priced under 5 bucks a pack? There is still a segment of the hobby looking for the big payoff in one or two packs rips and will pay for it, but for most, this just isn't fun anymore. I would much rather rip 24 packs for 75 bucks than putting all my marbles into one pack for 75 bucks.

In football, people have seen that there are just not to many player anymore whose
autograph is worth more than say 75 bucks. I think people are realizing that for baseball now. Ripken and Ryan, and guys who autographs used to be a big deal, are now not a big deal. Companies can't keep passing these costs onto collectors, especially in this economy! For me I will remember 2009 for heritage and Allen & Ginter. Fun sets.

Kevin
Yah Kevin -you're right! ..and why? because its more fun than just buying stuff to rip/flip IMO. That is if you're all about collecting/fun, if you're not in it for this then you'll probably never see my point but for those that do-you're probably doing the same thing.

Some packs are more than $75/pack now. Thats just not fun to me. Especially when you may not even get one single rookie card in there! Call me crazy but I just dont see the fun in that.

A&G is truly one the favorite sets because it has a good mix of everything and it is collectable! The manufacturers will never get it.
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote