Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default You are in Charge

After reading all the different threads and comments about how no one is happy with the products being produced I thought why not start a thread where you describe your "Ideal Product". Lets say you just got hired by Topps and they gave you total control over one baseball product. You get to decide everything about what goes into the product, odds, hits, quantity produced, marketing, everything. What would your product be and what is in it?
JasonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I should also clarify this is geared towards collecting not rip and flip.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Topps has done a very good job with different ideas. The rip card was an amazing idea as was non-sport autographs. I would produce products with lower print runs so a box would offer more value to those who buy it. Right now collectors want bang for the buck, they want to feel like they have a decent shot at something nice. 23 packs of junk with one pack of something that might or might not be nice is not going to work
anymore. Value at the pack level is what collectors want. I like the idea that there
could be a rare parallel in any given pack. I actually like moments and milestones
because there is potential value in every pack and collectors have many ways of
collecting this set. Sets that are very large, which have small odds like 1:4 or 1:8
become valuable at the pack level when these sets become popular. I would also love
to see some of the true greats come back and sign autos. Its getting to the point
where cut sigs of average players are being used instead of real autos from living
legends. This doesn't sell cards.

and of course the biggest problem that still exists in the hobby are redemptions. Its simple, if you don't have the card, then don't put it in the set, if that doesn't sell
cards, then tough. Broken promises drive collectors away.

Kevin
HeritageKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd love to see Topps Heritage go all chrome. Keep the odds of refractor inserts or autos the same. Maybe a little better odds on a colored refractors.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Low numbered (/99 or less) Multi-colored patches with on card autos of 1 prospect, 1 star, and 1 HOF per box. Inserts are good but not 10 levels /1, /5, /10, /25, /50, /100, /250, /500, /750, /1000, etc...Limited number of cases...something like 500. It would be high but look at National Treasure and Exquisite in FB.

RIP PAPAJIM
keggobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

No cut sticker Autos! On this same note, take the time and make sure the auto's that are being issued are of decent quality. No more check marks and/or squigly lines. I'm not saying the guys auto needs to be perfect, but make a freaking effort!

Get rid of redemptions. I'd rather see a product be delayed than issued with redemption. This not only helps the product sell better, but helps hobby dealers out as they now have a product that can sit on the shelves.

I'm liking more and more products that offer case hits. Still gives the box buyer a
chance at something, but an incentive for those of us buying cases to pick one up. I've seen some of the 09 topps stuff and very intrigued by it.

Topps right now needs to do something about their collation. Been really bad as of late. If you guarantee X hits per box...they better be there. Plus side their CS has been great in this department. I know this is the other side of the coin but dont give me the stinking "on average" crap!

One thing i do like is the better odds in Jumbos, but also would like to see where you get one set of base cards in the jumbo boxes. You pay more for the boxes, but being able to build a set is a nice little extra. I for one am willing to pay the extra money for a box if I know I can build a set out of it.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

here is my biggest problem to add. I am all for patch autos and having them numbered out of /10, /99, /199 ect. But lets be smart about this. Why put a fantastic multi color patch on a /199 patch auto and then have a /10 patch auto that is one color? I say the lower the card number the better the patch, not mix and match.

Always Looking For Zetterberg Patch Autos
vortekv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would not have 17 tiers of one card...

/1 black gold
/5 black silver
/10 black
/25 blue
/50 red
etc...it's mildly annoying
Old 11-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Does anyone know what the usual print run for a product is? 500 cases? 1000? I'm spending my down time in the office developing a new product. I want to figure out quantities to produce for base cards, autos, etc. as well as box and case breakdowns. I know this sounds crazy but I'm in a seasonal type of job where it's pretty quiet this time of year so I have lots of free time for dumb things like this.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
Does anyone know what the usual print run for a product is? 500 cases? 1000? I'm spending my down time in the office developing a new product. I want to figure out quantities to produce for base cards, autos, etc. as well as box and case breakdowns. I know this sounds crazy but I'm in a seasonal type of job where it's pretty quiet this time of year so I have lots of free time for dumb things like this.
My guess for 2007 BDPP is 6745 cases.

Odds of superfractor Head of the Class auto, 1:809,400, 2 different cards, 1618800 packs, 67450 boxes, 6745 cases.

this does not count blasters at all.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

This also works for X-Fractors pretty well

1:39, /250, 165 different cards, 1.6 million packs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bziddy View Post
My guess for 2007 BDPP is 6745 cases.

Odds of superfractor Head of the Class auto, 1:809,400, 2 different cards, 1618800 packs, 67450 boxes, 6745 cases.

this does not count blasters at all.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

I would put Dominic Rhodes in the set. I am also on board with having less tiers of numbered cards, Gold /10, Silver /50, Bronze /100, Red /250, etc,... Usually the same image, just different color. I also like the thought of better patches on lower numbered cards, on card autos, more effort, etc,.... You guys pretty much hit it on the head.
Brad68to96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

You know, SportKings already started doing what most of you guys have suggested...

- Very limited print runs

- On-card autos, (not one single sticker autograph)

- Only one parallel set and it's 1/3 as rare as the already limited base set

- Cut autos of all-time great sport figures, and none #'d greater than 10,(most are 1/1s)

- Outstanding customer service

...etc, etc.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

I would try an end of the year high end product. Ud or Topps could do this. They could just make 1 pack boxes with maybe 4 hits a pack, but the hits would be from all different products over the year. Although for this to happen they would need to hold back some hits from earlier in the year. For example, packs could have 1 auto and 3 game-used. Then they could throw in bigger hits like Rip Cards or Triple Threads GUs or Autos. But for it to be successful they would need to be cheap packs though since most would be base GU's and Autos.
cubsfan2513 is offline   Reply With Quote