Blowout Cards Forums
Shop OneStopFanShop.com Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Auto Help

Found these and many more amongst the posters and prints I bought from the Hobby Store. Am I screwed without the COA and if so how much does it cost to get prints authenticated. The Gwynn is hand numbered 07/500 The Hank Aaron says nothing on it. Any suggestions or info on value would be appreciated.

kevdog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

awesome....think beckett does the authenticaion as does PSA...unsure on price. Love the Gwynn!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

the hank aaron looks legit to me, as far as i can tell. after authentication 100to 150.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you're looking to sell, then it'll be tough to do so without a COA from somewhere. As much as I bash the authentication process on something they didn't witness being signed, getting it done does help with the selling process.
Crash1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
ND3

You could always list the two items on ebay with crazy BINs....then use the PSA/DNA ebay auction verification service. They look at the auction and tell you the likely hood the auto is real. Cost is escaping me at the moment but may be an insurance policy if the actually authentication is pricey and possible they come back as fake sigs.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

kev was that tony gwynn obtained IP?

because his sig was involved in a huge fake memorabilia ring that was broken up several years ago and i know gwynn signs different pieces differently (im trying to find the article where he talks about it)... he signs a ball with a diff color and diff sig differently than he does with flat pieces or bats...

but if it was obtained in person who much are you moving it for.

just curious
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think they would still sell without a COA, but would sell much better with one. PSA/DNA charges $30 for Aaron and $20 for Gwynn, while JSA charges $25 for Aaron and $20 for Gwynn.

You might check their calendars and see if they will be at any shows near you, since postage both ways will add up. I live in Texas and don't have much of a chance to do authentications at shows, but JSA did show up to the TriStar show in Houston a few months ago, and I see they will be there again early next year.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

stupid question just because i can't tell from the pics...

is the gwynn sig on the print? (i.e. pen to paper?) or was it printed on there?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
stupid question just because i can't tell from the pics...

is the gwynn sig on the print? (i.e. pen to paper?) or was it printed on there?

These were both from the Hobby Shop that I bought out. The autos are pen to paper. I will dig through I think I have more of these and some other Padres.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I have about 8 or 10 different pieces autographed by Gwynn and never really noticed or knew that he did it. I got a few in person and bought others. I have a color print that is signed in blue sharpie, my baseballs are black pen, rookie card in blue sharpie, bats in black and silver sharpie. I can't remember the jersey but it is an UD one.

Kevin, as for the prices on your pieces. The Gwynn, if it is real, his autographs don't go for much. I don't think it would be worth getting it authenticated unless you would keep it yourself because I would guess it would go for around $20-$30 on ebay. The Aaron should go for closer to $40.

The prices are crazy when you consider how much they charge for their autographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
kev was that tony gwynn obtained IP?

because his sig was involved in a huge fake memorabilia ring that was broken up several years ago and i know gwynn signs different pieces differently (im trying to find the article where he talks about it)... he signs a ball with a diff color and diff sig differently than he does with flat pieces or bats...

but if it was obtained in person who much are you moving it for.

just curious

Last edited by ifish73; 11-13-2008 at 11:54 AM.
ifish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
I have about 8 or 10 different pieces autographed by Gwynn and never really noticed or knew that he did it. I got a few in person and bought others. I have a color print that is signed in blue sharpie, my baseballs are black pen, rookie card in blue sharpie, bats in black and silver sharpie. I can't remember the jersey but it is an UD one.
he signs some with and without loops in the 'Y'(for example).. in that article he said it helps HIM to tell which ones are fake and which aren't.... (still looking for article)
Old 11-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

This might be the article:

Tony Gwynn memorabilia has long been popular with sports fans and collectors. : North County Times - Californian

Very interesting article.
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

EBay 130126415998 ( by the way how do I post the link to an auction) Captain is going to pissed at my laziness)

Found this the Auto is similar but not as wide as mine. This 1 is numbered 33/500 and mine is 7/500. I wonder if he maybe signed the first 50. I have a ton of stuff from C. Paluso and that seems to be the case. THe first 50 are artist proffs signed by him and whoever is on the print. I have 3 of the baseball ironmen signed by Garvey those have COA's.