Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to slappybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur01 View Post
I don't understand how under producing a crap product makes it a huge hit? Not to mention its short on the number of autos promised. What am I missing here? Is just the scarcity that attracts people?
Very good point...low production crap is still crap, no? I think the attraction is..it's just whats new..give it a week or so..or untill the next under/over produced crap comes out.
slappybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur01 View Post
I don't understand how under producing a crap product makes it a huge hit? Not to mention its short on the number of autos promised. What am I missing here? Is just the scarcity that attracts people?
It's a crap product in your opinion, but that doesn't mean the majority shares your opinion. I've opened 3 boxes and I love this stuff. Got more coming in tomorrow. Even with the missing auto, there are plenty of other "hits" in the box. Counting short prints and variations, there's at least 20 per box on average, and most of it is selling well so far.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
It's a crap product in your opinion, but that doesn't mean the majority shares your opinion. I've opened 3 boxes and I love this stuff. Got more coming in tomorrow. Even with the missing auto, there are plenty of other "hits" in the box. Counting short prints and variations, there's at least 20 per box on average, and most of it is selling well so far.
But if it was under produced, than that tells me that the majority does agree with me that its crap. Unless Topps decided to miss out on an opportunity to mass produce a popular product which I doubt. Well at any rate, it is selling well so far. Can't argue with you on that.

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlotsportcards View Post
If you get tired of what has happened in the past year with Topps, don't buy Topps products. Pretty simple. I'll take having to send in some wrappers for making money on the majority of what they put out.
You sound like a clown, Topps has become a total joke. Whether its the stadium seat relics scandal in Tribute, awful quality control on basically all 2010 Topps products, poor customer service, over priced boxes, and now this...Topps is doing everything it can to officially ruin the hobby for everyone. They probably did this on purpose knowing tons of people won't send in their UPC, wrappers, receipts, etc...just to get a missing Jeremy Guthrie auto. Seems pretty hard to screw something up this bad but whatever, keep defending Topps and using that brilliant logic as they rob you blind.
dizzydolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzydolse View Post
You sound like a clown, Topps has become a total joke. Whether its the stadium seat relics scandal in Tribute, awful quality control on basically all 2010 Topps products, poor customer service, over priced boxes, and now this...Topps is doing everything it can to officially ruin the hobby for everyone. They probably did this on purpose knowing tons of people won't send in their UPC, wrappers, receipts, etc...just to get a missing Jeremy Guthrie auto. Seems pretty hard to screw something up this bad but whatever, keep defending Topps and using that brilliant logic as they rob you blind.
He makes it perfectly clear that he is just concerned about profiting from the product. And thats fine don't get me wrong, but he is a clown for telling collectors they have no right to be upset with getting shorted by Topps.

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Boxes are overpriced because of consumer demand. Topps has not really changed their factory direct price much. Ask any LCS owner. These crazy prices are 100% demand exceeding supply.

How is Topps robbing us blind? I've made a killing on their products this year. Everything they put out has turned to gold. Dealers and shop owners are rolling in money this year. If Topps is so bad then why do they continue to thrive?

I've had no problems. Customer service is 4 for 4 handling my problems efficiently in the last 6 months and I've had some memorable breaks. I spend about $3,000-$5,000 per month on their product and will continue to do so as it puts money right back in my pocket.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Boxes are overpriced because of consumer demand. Topps has not really changed their factory direct price much. Ask any LCS owner. These crazy prices are 100% demand exceeding supply.

How is Topps robbing us blind? I've made a killing on their products this year. Everything they put out has turned to gold. Dealers and shop owners are rolling in money this year. If Topps is so bad then why do they continue to thrive?

I've had no problems. Customer service is 4 for 4 handling my problems efficiently in the last 6 months and I've had some memorable breaks. I spend about $3,000-$5,000 per month on their product and will continue to do so as it puts money right back in my pocket.
Congratulations, I've heard you mention how well you do with selling cards more than once. Do you think you are in the minority or the majority of collectors who spend thousands each month on Topps products and love their CS?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #58 (permalink)

That's the thing, if it isn't delivering super sick mojo hits and 10 second event worn relics, it's crap. Like you said everything Topps has put out this year has been a money maker regardless if it was missing something, quality control, etc... People are still buying and are for the most part happy. If you look at Topps big money makers it is normally all base brands, A&G, Heritage, and some odds and ends sprinkled in. Someday people will realize with most Topps you have to open qty and put together various sets, inserts, team lots etc... I don't open large qty but I'm not oblivious to how much money has been made recently with Topps.
sandlotsportcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #59 (permalink)

Stupid Topps, SHILLING their products, someone should sue
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlotsportcards View Post
That's the thing, if it isn't delivering super sick mojo hits and 10 second event worn relics, it's crap. Like you said everything Topps has put out this year has been a money maker regardless if it was missing something, quality control, etc... People are still buying and are for the most part happy. If you look at Topps big money makers it is normally all base brands, A&G, Heritage, and some odds and ends sprinkled in. Someday people will realize with most Topps you have to open qty and put together various sets, inserts, team lots etc... I don't open large qty but I'm not oblivious to how much money has been made recently with Topps.
Great, not everybody is in this hobby to make money and dump thousands of dollars into cards each month hoping to make a career out of it. Most collectors want to buy a reasonably priced box of cards without having to deal with any problems and headache. And if they are going to charge $300 for a box, people don't want to pull a Babe Ruth stadium seat relic thinking the whole time that it was his GU bat. And then have to hear Topps basically admit they were deceiving with their cards after they monopolize the card market.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned

Plain and simple, the majority doesn't matter anymore. After the Bowman Chrome issue where tons of people ordered, then cancelled their order when Strasburg got hurt. Topps decided to short Hobby and shove as much product as they can into retail.
crazy8parlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Congratulations, I've heard you mention how well you do with selling cards more than once. Do you think you are in the minority or the majority of collectors who spend thousands each month on Topps products and love their CS?
If I spent $100/month would it really matter? I am not in the card business because the money is good. I am in the card business because I love cards. Any profit is just an awesome incentive. For every error that Topps makes there are thousands of other cards that come out of the presses just fine. And when they don't, Topps usually fixes it.

Customer service sucks for people who complain, scream, yell, or act like idiots on the phone or e-mail. A simple explanation of the problem, please, and thank you has usually resulted in quick turnaround time by their CS.

And once again, Topps only sets a baseline for their prices. Everything else you see is market fluctuation. Gypsy Queen should have been $95 a box but demand drove it up to $150...BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE BUYING. And if the "majority" of buyers are not big spenders or dealers, then the point you were making loses it's value. If the majority really did share your views of Topps, they wouldn't be doing such a good business right now. People are happy. Not including you.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBB25 View Post
That's weird, Topps usually doesn't make mistakes......
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
I opened 3 boxes and saw 3 others opened

so 6 total..

only 1 box had 4 hits...

the other 5 boxes had 3 hits...

Nice work topps..

How can you screw that up over and over and over
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephinfan View Post
You've been in business how long now, Topps? I guess it takes time for a new company like them to figure out how to run things properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
You have to wonder what scrubs they are going to get to sign these "make-good" autos...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephinfan View Post
This may be the case, but how many times has Topps done this within the past year? Almost every other product that comes out, Topps makes some sort of announcement about a "mistake" they made & how they're going to "make it right" with collectors. It's getting old & a company like Topps should be held to higher standards, having been in this business for so long.

Not to mention how horrible their CS is on a regular basis. Other companies will honor expired redemptions, but not a company who's been around for 60 years. Enough of this, "At least they're willing to..." BS! They're plain lazy & don't give a flying #@$% about consumers.
Quote:
If the majority really did share your views of Topps, they wouldn't be doing such a good business right now. People are happy. Not including you.
You're right man, people are thrilled. And if you spent $100/month, yes it would be a lot different. To me, it sounds like you are in this "hobby" to make money, but I guess I have to take you at your word. If you think I am the only one unhappy with the trend Topps is setting you are lost. People are buying because they really don't have many other options and Topps does put out good product. I'm not saying every product Topps puts out is a disaster, but collectors deserve more IMO. Also, people are buying because it really isn't a big enough deal to drive people away, it is after all a hobby.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #64 (permalink)

The price on this now is a joke -- would anybody else pay $145 for this?
brockw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockw82 View Post
Yes, people are paying it. Everyone is happy about it, excluding us.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #66 (permalink)

all three of my autos (2 Gio Gonzalez, Andres Torres) aren't on the printed checklist or the box odds.

I'll put money down that these are some of the replacement autos that Topps will be sending out.

For the time being I can only commit to getting to the post office on Saturdays, so it may take me longer to ship.
enjoyale81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockw82 View Post
Based on current eBay prices (which I know will settle down eventually), I'd say there's about $200 value in an average hobby box. This is if you pieced out your better hits and put the rest into lots. Maybe even more than $200. So right now today, yes I would pay $145 and feel okay about it. In a week, that might be a different story.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #68 (permalink)

i got 2 relics and ZERO autographs in a box i just ripped from a LCS in AZ

completely and utterly embarassing
WalterAZ31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAZ31 View Post
i got 2 relics and ZERO autographs in a box i just ripped from a LCS in AZ

completely and utterly embarassing
Topps will send your replacements. The Sepia mini and printing plate you pulled are worth more than 2 autographs anyway. Your basically gonna have 6 hits once Topps sends the replacements.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #70 (permalink)

Picked a box of this up today, my box only had 1 relic & 1 auto.

The 'best hit' of the box (IMO) was a paper framed /999 Jeter, but... it was badly damaged, (completely rolled up back bottom edge)

LCS owner said that a few of the other boxes from this case had some issues.

I feel like $125-$145 a box for this stuff is too much, feels more Allen & Ginter-y to me (and should be priced similarly).

I do kinda like the design of the cards though. That's an upside.

Last edited by bartender623; 04-28-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: spelling
bartender623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #71 (permalink)

So they are basically giving away an auto for an UPC from any hobby box regardless of the numbers hot auto in the box?
They have to be really crappy autos.
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #72 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Stupid Topps, SHILLING their products, someone should sue
hahah.. i missed this one.
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiyoshi View Post
So they are basically giving away an auto for an UPC from any hobby box regardless of the numbers hot auto in the box?
They have to be really crappy autos.
Technically no. But I'm sure some dishonest people will still send in UPCs from their good boxes to try and get more. So yea, there will be some crappy autos, but I believe they will include many good ones as well. There are a few players from the original checklist that don't seem to be popping up on eBay yet. Maybe these guys will sign for the redemptions, or have already signed but didn't get the physical cards in the product in time. We shall see.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricefan77 View Post
They probably have a few gypsies ready to sign
I heard John Rocker and Hideo Nomo are waiting in the wings too.
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyale81 View Post
all three of my autos (2 Gio Gonzalez, Andres Torres) aren't on the printed checklist or the box odds.

I'll put money down that these are some of the replacement autos that Topps will be sending out.
I'm sure Gio, Torres, and Will Venable will be the trio of "replacements" Topps sends to everybody.
cmnkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote