Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Based on current eBay prices (which I know will settle down eventually), I'd say there's about $200 value in an average hobby box. This is if you pieced out your better hits and put the rest into lots. Maybe even more than $200. So right now today, yes I would pay $145 and feel okay about it. In a week, that might be a different story.
Not seeing this.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #77 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Based on current eBay prices (which I know will settle down eventually), I'd say there's about $200 value in an average hobby box. This is if you pieced out your better hits and put the rest into lots. Maybe even more than $200. So right now today, yes I would pay $145 and feel okay about it. In a week, that might be a different story.
If your an employee,associated or shill(plant) with Topps, This would be an illegal Shill posting. Shilling in the form of unjust enrichment(false testimonial,etc)

Very illegal.
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp2311 View Post
Not seeing this.
4 box topper SPs = $20 minimum
30 other mini cards = $30-$50 depending on parallels.
2 relics = $10
1 auto = $7
6 framed paper = $18
24 inserts = $20
At least 1 additional hit (plate, gypsy, leather, etc.) $10-$20
Approx 200 base cards = $32

So $147-$177 for a bad box. Any decent relic or auto hits would put you close to or above $200. In 3 boxes I had at least one $25+ hit in each box. Was I lucky? Not based on what I'm seeing in other box breaks. I have a 10 box case being delivered today so I'll know more then.

Obviously the value is even better if you break in quantity. Master sets are over $200 and base sets of 300 are $40-$50. A case break of this stuff would certainly yield a profit as of today. Now the waiting game starts in terms of how much retail hits the shelves and how quickly it sells out.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #79 (permalink)

Then factor in ebay fees, postage fees, gas costs, time spent listing, packaging, sorting, and going to the post office and you are down $100. I'm starting to thing auction does work for Topps.
dizzydolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
4 box topper SPs = $20 minimum
30 other mini cards = $30-$50 depending on parallels.
2 relics = $10
1 auto = $7
6 framed paper = $18
24 inserts = $20
At least 1 additional hit (plate, gypsy, leather, etc.) $10-$20
Approx 200 base cards = $32
You forgot to add the extra money you can make by selling the UPC codes from all the shorted boxes for a nice profit. It's cool though since, who knows, Topps could send a Koufax auto as a replacement right?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #81 (permalink)

I was looking at the auto checklist and there's a lot of autos that haven't even showed up yet. Either Topps messed up the checklist, or the autos are really SP'd. My guess is that they were never made.
jayjay0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzydolse View Post
Then factor in ebay fees, postage fees, gas costs, time spent listing, packaging, sorting, and going to the post office and you are down $100. I'm starting to thing auction does work for Topps.
Quote:
You forgot to add the extra money you can make by selling the UPC codes from all the shorted boxes for a nice profit. It's cool though since, who knows, Topps could send a Koufax auto as a replacement right?
So much bitterness on this forum. I feel like I've had this discussion a dozen other times. I like how assumptions are often accepted as fact here. You assume you know the cost of doing business, and then others believe it when you tell them they'd lose $100 on a box of cards.

I don't sell cards to lose money and I wouldn't blow smoke up someone's ass to make them think anything other than the truth. How about you let the people who ARE listing, packaging, sorting, going to the post office, etc. comment on the cost of doing business. I consistently maintain a 10-15% profit margin AFTER fees and overhead, so I feel I can comment on a product's value accurately. I don't work for Topps. I work full time for a local school district, making an average salary, that I supplement with an eBay business on the side.

I am starting to notice a trend here though. Most of the big sellers don't even comment here any more. They silently run their businesses and let everyone else complain about Topps, eBay and Paypal, and how everyone is getting robbed and losing money. Too bad society has become so liberal and blame-happy. We now live in a place where hard work, intelligence, and perseverance is out of style. It's sad.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
So much bitterness on this forum. I feel like I've had this discussion a dozen other times. I like how assumptions are often accepted as fact here. You assume you know the cost of doing business, and then others believe it when you tell them they'd lose $100 on a box of cards.

I don't sell cards to lose money and I wouldn't blow smoke up someone's ass to make them think anything other than the truth. How about you let the people who ARE listing, packaging, sorting, going to the post office, etc. comment on the cost of doing business. I consistently maintain a 10-15% profit margin AFTER fees and overhead, so I feel I can comment on a product's value accurately. I don't work for Topps. I work full time for a local school district, making an average salary, that I supplement with an eBay business on the side.

I am starting to notice a trend here though. Most of the big sellers don't even comment here any more. They silently run their businesses and let everyone else complain about Topps, eBay and Paypal, and how everyone is getting robbed and losing money. Too bad society has become so liberal and blame-happy. We now live in a place where hard work, intelligence, and perseverance is out of style. It's sad.
Did you factor in your hot pack reseals?
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:

Thats fair. Then you should let the collectors who are stuck with less than they were promised comment on how Topps sucks at doing business.

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #85 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Relax.

You are the minority(making money) in the collecting business. The AVERAGE collector gets smashed buying cards. I have made alot and lost alot in the card business(actual business). The card companies are very deceptive in descriptions and policies. The venue for the sellers(ebay) is ridiculously against sellers.

To me the average collector is lucky to break even and enjoy the hobby. But to say it is easy to make money in the collecting business is not correct, if it was easy, everyone would do it. So you see the MAJORITY complaining.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #86 (permalink)

Did someone hack h4auto's account?
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:

Don't you understand that this isn't about you? You are in the minority, nobody cares what you make with your card business. This is about the average collector that doesn't feel like having to work hard because it is their hobby, something they try to enjoy to forget about work. They shouldn't have to spend their free time mailing back crap to Topps just to receive what they were promised and so they don't feel like they weren't lied too. People don't want to drop $150 on a box of cards to be disappointed time after time whether it's damaged cards, missing hits, fake GU material, missing redemptions, etc.

Please don't act like you're the only one that sells on ebay, I also sell there, as most people here do, and I know what it costs as just an average, low quantity seller.

haha, looks like a couple people made my same points as I was typing, right on

Last edited by dizzydolse; 04-28-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4auto View Post
Relax.

You are the minority(making money) in the collecting business. The AVERAGE collector gets smashed buying cards. I have made alot and lost alot in the card business(actual business). The card companies are very deceptive in descriptions and policies. The venue for the sellers(ebay) is ridiculously against sellers.

To me the average collector is lucky to break even and enjoy the hobby. But to say it is easy to make money in the collecting business is not correct, if it was easy, everyone would do it. So you see the MAJORITY complaining.
You are right the average collector doesn't make money. I know. I collected cards as a kid and probably sold back 10% of my cards at shows which I used to buy more packs. That's commonplace for any hobby. Someone asked if $145 was still a fair price, and I responded that value-wise, it was. Now whether that collector saves or sells is up to him but that shouldn't undermine a single box's value.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #89 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiyoshi View Post
Did someone hack h4auto's account?
SHILL NO! lol
Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't you understand that this isn't about you? You are in the minority, nobody cares what you make with your card business. This is about the average collector that doesn't feel like having to work hard because it is their hobby, something they try to enjoy to forget about work. They shouldn't have to spend their free time mailing back crap to Topps just to receive what they were promised and so they don't feel like they weren't lied too. People don't want to drop $150 on a box of cards to be disappointed time after time whether it's damaged cards, missing hits, fake GU material, missing redemptions, etc.

Please don't act like you're the only one that sells on ebay, I also sell there, as most people here do, and I know what it costs as just an average, low quantity seller.

haha, looks like a couple people made my same points as I was typing, right on
Okay. Here is a challenge for you. Buy one hobby box of every baseball release from the past year and tell me how many legitimate problems you encounter with your product. You will find that the MAJORITY of the cards you open will be just fine. So if the average collector is a one box guy who buys stuff to try out ever new release, then that person should realistically be happy most of the time. So I don't believe I am in the minority. I think people tend to be more vocal when they are angry and so it appears that everyone here is pissed off, when in reality cards continue to fly off shelves. It's not one person buying them all so there must be quite a following out there.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
Did you factor in your hot pack reseals?
Yea. I was so kind with my last batch that I even let a Gerrit Cole green patch auto go for $27.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #92 (permalink)

Default I've heard this one before...

I submitted claims to Topps regarding UFC Knockout. I had 2 boxes missing autos and 1 missing an auto /relic card. I also mentioned how I busted an 8 box Master case and received 0 case hits! They took care of me alright. They sent me replacement autos. Tank Abbott Auto/Relic #/188, Kevin Randelman Auto /88, and Seth Petruzelli Auto / 188. Are you freaking kidding me!!??? They sent me 3 of the worst autos in the set. The Petruzelli isn't worth the card stock it's printed on. I'm sure you will all get replacement autos of players you never even heard pf. Don't expect any quality replacements from Topps just scrubs.

Topps CS is horrible. Wish they weren't the only game in town
mmamaniac79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #93 (permalink)

Default I've heard this one before.....

IPlease delete
mmamaniac79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #94 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:

Superior post - agree with every word.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #95 (permalink)

I think the situation with Topps Gypsy sucks. If I buy a box advertising a certain number of hits, I expect those hits. I realize mistakes happen and the company that makes the mistake should fix it. I think they are trying to fix the problem, but if it is with a bunch of junk autos then that's a different story. I may be in the minority, but Topps CS has been fine for me (although I tend to be nice when I write my emails or call).

In terms of making money on cards, that is a joke if you don't know what you are doing or just buy boxes here and there. I don't mind a "little" work when I do open packs/boxes because I realize if I want to rip and flip I have to do the work. I keep cards for my PC, make a set (usually), and sell the rest. Over the last month I have opened over 40 of the $14.99 value boxes and over 30 of the $7.99 packs. I keep track:

Total spent - $1134.13
Total amount sold: $1498.50
Ebay/Paypal fees: $198.45
Profit: $165.92

With all that I still have 4 base sets of Topps, 15 SP's away from a Heritage Master set, about 1600 Topps base, 700 Heritage base, extra Heritage SP's, Chrome parallels, etc. Also, keep in mind through all those boxes I only got: 1 Sparkle (Adam Dunn), 2 SP's (Ty Cobb and Jimmie Foxx), 4 jersey's (Felix Hernandez, Joe Morgan, Dustin Pedroia, Mark Teixeira), 1 Heritage auto (Tom Parsons), 1 Heritage Stamp (Mejia/Roberts). Not one MAJOR hit in the bunch. I have seen some great hits in those too.

I've done this same thing over the years with 2009 and 2010 Allen & Ginter, 2010 Topps series 1, Topps Mayo, and a few others. I don't make huge profit, but I come out ahead and keep a set for myself. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here. Just throwing my 2 cents in.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #96 (permalink)

I still haven't seen a single Danny Valencia auto from it
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Okay. Here is a challenge for you. Buy one hobby box of every baseball release from the past year and tell me how many legitimate problems you encounter with your product. You will find that the MAJORITY of the cards you open will be just fine. So if the average collector is a one box guy who buys stuff to try out ever new release, then that person should realistically be happy most of the time. So I don't believe I am in the minority. I think people tend to be more vocal when they are angry and so it appears that everyone here is pissed off, when in reality cards continue to fly off shelves. It's not one person buying them all so there must be quite a following out there.
With all due respect, I am happy for the people that make money and have good boxes. But you have to believe me when I tell you that my son and I have had huge issues with Topps when it comes to the boxes/cases we have broken in the last year. As collectors we never even think about getting our money back, but we do expect to get what we pay for. Every case we broke last year was missing hits (only 3 various cases for us). Topps customer service was very good at sending our replacement scrub autos. Who knows what the autos would have been if they were seeded properly in the cases/boxes. The others are right, you are the MINORITY. When I see someone saying that they maintain a profit margin busting boxes of cards it sends up a red flag in my head. I do respect you and would never call you a liar, but you have to understand that when our experiences aren't the same as yours, we will adamantly disagree with you. It's kind of a big deal to have missing hits or damaged cards when you save up to break some boxes, collect your team, and trade for your team. We shouldn't have to contact customer service at Topps 1/10th as often as we do. You and I are involved in the hobby in a completely different way and will probably never agree. If I had to think about listing things as fast as I could and worry about my profits, it would ruin this leasurely hobby that my son and I enjoy. In my opinion, you have had a great run if you profited on every product you broke last year. But I think you will eventually see a loss when you consider everything you've put into it. Just my honest opinion based on the experiences I've had, I wish you a continuation of your LUCK.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
With all due respect, I am happy for the people that make money and have good boxes. But you have to believe me when I tell you that my son and I have had huge issues with Topps when it comes to the boxes/cases we have broken in the last year. As collectors we never even think about getting our money back, but we do expect to get what we pay for. Every case we broke last year was missing hits (only 3 various cases for us). Topps customer service was very good at sending our replacement scrub autos. Who knows what the autos would have been if they were seeded properly in the cases/boxes. The others are right, you are the MINORITY. When I see someone saying that they maintain a profit margin busting boxes of cards it sends up a red flag in my head. I do respect you and would never call you a liar, but you have to understand that when our experiences aren't the same as yours, we will adamantly disagree with you. It's kind of a big deal to have missing hits or damaged cards when you save up to break some boxes, collect your team, and trade for your team. We shouldn't have to contact customer service at Topps 1/10th as often as we do. You and I are involved in the hobby in a completely different way and will probably never agree. If I had to think about listing things as fast as I could and worry about my profits, it would ruin this leasurely hobby that my son and I enjoy. In my opinion, you have had a great run if you profited on every product you broke last year. But I think you will eventually see a loss when you consider everything you've put into it. Just my honest opinion based on the experiences I've had, I wish you a continuation of your LUCK.
I appreciate that Stump, and understand completely what you are saying here. My "trick" if you'll call it that, is I only bust product in quantity that traditionally yields good value. I'm not over here breaking Triple Threads, Tribute, Heritage, or even Bowman Chrome for profit. I'll crack a box or two for my own personal enjoyment, but that's maybe 10% of my spending. I'm like the guy 2 posts above who was up on those Value Boxes. Something like that is guaranteed money. Topps Series 1 was guaranteed money. Bowman Platinum and Draft were guaranteed money (if you broke several cases of each and got in when prices bottomed out). That's my gimmick. Call it capitalism or whatever, but I simply watch the market and jump on something when I see prices trending upward. Get in early at the lowest price possible, and Luck might add a few hundred to a break. I also make up for "bad breaks" by selling wax when it heats up. For example, I bought a boat load of Gypsy Queen retail boxes for $48 each and nearly doubled my money on them this week. That does help make up for crappy cases (and I have had crappy cases).

And for as crazy as it sounds, the headache of sorting, listing, shipping, and doing it all over again is actually enjoyable to me, so in many ways I think me and you both enjoy the hobby very much, but just in different ways. Good post nonetheless Stump.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #99 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to sblez

so do we just cut the upc code off the box and ship it to the address topps gave?
PM ME ABOUT ANDREW LUCK CARDS!!!
sblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblez View Post
so do we just cut the upc code off the box and ship it to the address topps gave?
Just scan the UPC code from the box, UPC codes frome a couple of packs, and your receipt. Your supposed to put an X, or punch a hole through the UPC codes. Then attatch the scan to an email with a description of your issue and your address and you should have a replacement in a couple of weeks or so. Here is a link to the Topps support page that explains how to email them for fast service:

Frequently Asked Questions | Topps.com
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote