Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd3d86 View Post
I think the situation with Topps Gypsy sucks. If I buy a box advertising a certain number of hits, I expect those hits. I realize mistakes happen and the company that makes the mistake should fix it. I think they are trying to fix the problem, but if it is with a bunch of junk autos then that's a different story. I may be in the minority, but Topps CS has been fine for me (although I tend to be nice when I write my emails or call).

In terms of making money on cards, that is a joke if you don't know what you are doing or just buy boxes here and there. I don't mind a "little" work when I do open packs/boxes because I realize if I want to rip and flip I have to do the work. I keep cards for my PC, make a set (usually), and sell the rest. Over the last month I have opened over 40 of the $14.99 value boxes and over 30 of the $7.99 packs. I keep track:

Total spent - $1134.13
Total amount sold: $1498.50
Ebay/Paypal fees: $198.45
Profit: $165.92

With all that I still have 4 base sets of Topps, 15 SP's away from a Heritage Master set, about 1600 Topps base, 700 Heritage base, extra Heritage SP's, Chrome parallels, etc. Also, keep in mind through all those boxes I only got: 1 Sparkle (Adam Dunn), 2 SP's (Ty Cobb and Jimmie Foxx), 4 jersey's (Felix Hernandez, Joe Morgan, Dustin Pedroia, Mark Teixeira), 1 Heritage auto (Tom Parsons), 1 Heritage Stamp (Mejia/Roberts). Not one MAJOR hit in the bunch. I have seen some great hits in those too.

I've done this same thing over the years with 2009 and 2010 Allen & Ginter, 2010 Topps series 1, Topps Mayo, and a few others. I don't make huge profit, but I come out ahead and keep a set for myself. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here. Just throwing my 2 cents in.
Wow! You are lucky with the value boxes. I have bought about the same amount and have hit only one SP and four Heritage relic cards. Still missing a ton of cards even to make both base sets let alone master sets. I stopped buying them now and will try to trade to finish my sets. Got a crap bunch of duplicates that I will need to get some money of somehow.
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpfreeman View Post
Just scan the UPC code from the box, UPC codes frome a couple of packs, and your receipt. Your supposed to put an X, or punch a hole through the UPC codes. Then attatch the scan to an email with a description of your issue and your address and you should have a replacement in a couple of weeks or so. Here is a link to the Topps support page that explains how to email them for fast service:

Frequently Asked Questions | Topps.com
Not for this Stump. They are just asking for the UPC to be mailed. I don't think they are doing e-mail submissions. At least that's not what their announcement was. Maybe to prevent duplicate redemptions since 90% of the boxes are affected. Someone could easily scan all their codes and purchase receipt, and then sell the boxes to a customer who could then use the same codes but have a different receipt, and then if that guy sold the codes on eBay that person could use the codes and send in their eBay receipt. You'd have 2-3 redemptions on one box lol. And nobody is going to be checking the exact spot of the whole punch or X's either. They want the hard coardboard for this one.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #103 (permalink)

I sent all three of mine in yesterday! Can't wait to get my three Bip Roberts autos! Topps Rules the Nighttime world!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Not for this Stump. They are just asking for the UPC to be mailed. I don't think they are doing e-mail submissions. At least that's not what their announcement was. Maybe to prevent duplicate redemptions since 90% of the boxes are affected. Someone could easily scan all their codes and purchase receipt, and then sell the boxes to a customer who could then use the same codes but have a different receipt, and then if that guy sold the codes on eBay that person could use the codes and send in their eBay receipt. You'd have 2-3 redemptions on one box lol. And nobody is going to be checking the exact spot of the whole punch or X's either. They want the hard coardboard for this one.
Bummer, that would take some guts. They need to start putting a serial number on each box, LOL.
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #105 (permalink)

Replacement auto's are't scrubs, they gave me a choice between Austin Kearns or Oil Can Boyd, couldn't be happier.
schillercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #106 (permalink)

If you are mailing in the UPC how did they give you a choice, don't they just send you the cards? I have two that I sent in and am waiting. Thanks
vollybal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollybal View Post
If you are mailing in the UPC how did they give you a choice, don't they just send you the cards? I have two that I sent in and am waiting. Thanks
It was sarcasm.
schillercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #108 (permalink)

just got my replacement. its RICKY NOLASCO OH SNAP
Old 05-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #109 (permalink)

Wow...So I received my Gypsy Queen upc auto today...ANd what a HUGE name.....NOT!!! I got Brett Cecil... What is so bad about this too is the fact that he was the auto I pulled out of that box. So two Brett Cecil's out of 1 box...WAY TO GO TOPPS!!! NOT!!!!!
vollybal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #110 (permalink)

Got my autos today...

IMO beautiful cards... but I won't buy GQ again either this year's or future GQ products.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #111 (permalink)

Got my 3 the other day

Ricky Nolasco
Andres Torres
Neftali Feliz

Pretty much a sham they have going on at Topps, with these missing autos I wasn't expecting to get Hank Aaron, but come on.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
Got my autos today...

IMO beautiful cards... but I won't buy GQ again either this year's or future GQ products.
I got a Mike Stanton and an Al Kaline.. Very nice beautiful cards.. Way to go Topps, another happy customer..
twobranes is offline   Reply With Quote