Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does anyone have a web site?

First of all thanks for the feedback concerning my question about ebay sales. I've decided to sell off my football and basketball in large lots just to get rid of it. Not alot of great stuff left but enough to generate some sales. I'm keeping my baseball for now and that is what I would like to focus on.

My thought is to open a web site that just deals with baseball stuff. Is there anyone here that has a web site? How do you manage it? Time consuming? Thanks for any thoughts.
C&M Sports Memorabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

launching any website is time consuming... i found through my own experience that its getting traffic to your site thats a bitch. especially if you have a limited or non-existent advertising budget.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have my own site: Sportsnutcards.com... Setting up and maintaining a site that actually has sales takes a lot of time. I put in about 6-8 hours per day adding products, updating pages, working on advertising. It is very easy to get people to come to your site, but getting them to buy is the tough part. My site right averages about 250 unqiue visitors per day, but only about .5- .7% actually buy something.
sportsnutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnutcards View Post
I have my own site: Sportsnutcards.com... Setting up and maintaining a site that actually has sales takes a lot of time. I put in about 6-8 hours per day adding products, updating pages, working on advertising. It is very easy to get people to come to your site, but getting them to buy is the tough part. My site right averages about 250 unqiue visitors per day, but only about .5- .7% actually buy something.
Has it been worth it? Do you buy new products and rip? Do have vintage? I have a full time job so would this be more time consuming then I want? I also play tournament golf during the summer so am I looking at something that might not be realistic?
C&M Sports Memorabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

A website is indeed very time consuming. Once you get it up and running, the next challenge is getting your cards up on the site. After that, like the Captain said, traffic is key. Link exchanges help as does being listed on sites that do rankings. Thats free advertising and does bring in traffic. Before AOL shut it's doors, I averaged just under 100 hits day and I'm just a private collector. I'm also part of several trading groups and they also provide some income aside from trades.

I use Frontpage at the moment to maintain the site. I use Filezilla to upload the pages.
chilly55 is offline   Reply With Quote