Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Longoria 2008 BDP#27 orange refractor #25/25

Hey all, I picked up this card in a trade and I was wondering if it is considered a true rookie card. I noticed that his 2008 Bowman Chrome card #216 is labeled RC in beckett so I'm hoping this one will be considered a true RC as well. Sorry if this is a stupid question and thanks for the info.
Tonic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, never mind. It must have been a really dumb question since nobody has responded.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

mornings are slow sometimes...

I didn't answer because I didn't want to go look up Longoria cards....

As far as what is considered a True RC...regardless of how it is named/called -- my opinion is the first card by a major manufacturer is the RC.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. I tried looking it up but the Bowman Chrome DPP isn't in the newest beckett yet. Oh well, I guess regardless I have a pretty nice card.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Longoria's RC's are in the 2006 Bowman Draft product - he has had cards in 2006,2007 and 2008 products
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Then I'd go with 2006 as his rookie card.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys. It's confusing because it has the RC logo on the card. I wish they would stop making RC's of people in multiple years.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic3 View Post
Thanks guys. It's confusing because it has the RC logo on the card. I wish they would stop making RC's of people in multiple years.

That is a Beckett issue - not Topps or UD - the only sport this is an issue is baseball - all others have clear cut directives on what is a rookie and what is not a rookie.
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

No matter what they put on the card the hobby will always see a RC as the first year that the player had a card produced by a major manufacturer that does major league cards- not minor league cards. In most cases this will be Bowman chrome or a product that carries the same name- Bowman Draft.
C&M Sports Memorabil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Ebay RC Police love to jump people for calling a card a rookie if its not their first card.

In my opinion (using Longoria for example), 2006 and 2007 cards are prospect cards, he did not play in the majors. 2008 is his official rookie year, so therefor they are rookie cards. At the same time, you can't call his 06 and 07 rookie cards, just prospects.

I'm not saying I'm right, just my opinion.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Money talks...

The 2006 Bowman Chrome auto will always be the best "rookie" of Longoria. It doesn't matter if someone calls them prospects unless they are from a lesser company. Bowman (Topps) is king when it comes to rookies.

People can debate as much as they want but just watch the price comparisons on ebay of 2008 Bowman Chrome and 2006 Bowman Chrome. The collecting community makes the ultimate decision.

Best to All,
Vinny
Guitars, fishing, and trading cards, safer than a lot of other habits. If I post a pic of a player, I took it. I may not be the oldest member here but I paid $8. an auto and shook Joe DiMaggio's hand at the Armenian Church in NYC once.
VinnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think his 2nd best rookie card will be 2006 Tristar Prospects Plus. It may not be now, but it will be.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

As you can see no firm rule on what is a rookie card but the market will detirmine the one with the most value.

I think the Tri-Star will always have value but I don't see it as a rookie card- IMHO!
C&M Sports Memorabil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

I think a rookie card should be just that....a card that comes out during the players rookie year (defined by a certain amount of innings or AB's). If a player is not a rookie yet then he should not have a rookie card (in my opinion of coarse). Any card that comes out prior to a rookie year should be either a draft pick, prospect or a minor league card.
fiskaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
The Ebay RC Police love to jump people for calling a card a rookie if its not their first card.

In my opinion (using Longoria for example), 2006 and 2007 cards are prospect cards, he did not play in the majors. 2008 is his official rookie year, so therefor they are rookie cards. At the same time, you can't call his 06 and 07 rookie cards, just prospects.

I'm not saying I'm right, just my opinion.
agreed......."these days" a player can't have a rookie card w/o being a rookie in the majors. Any card that is produced before a player becomes a rookie should be a prospect or draft card (in my opinion). When we all were kids the rookie cards usually came out the year after a players rookie year.....some examples: Ripken Jr. played in the majors in 1981 and his card came out in 1982, Ricky Henderson played in the majors in 1979 and his RC came out in 1980, etc., etc. (just happened to have these cards here in front of me).

Obviously the industry has changed a great deal since we started collecting cards so I can see why we have the RC logo and new RC rules by the MLBPA.....to a certain extent I think it is not a bad idea. If we didn't have these guidelines the next thing out would be High School cards......they would be considered the new rookie cards.

Our kids will have to put much more thought into the hobby then we did when we started collecting
Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
agreed......."these days" a player can't have a rookie card w/o being a rookie in the majors. Any card that is produced before a player becomes a rookie should be a prospect or draft card (in my opinion).
whether a card is called a "rookie card" or not...... the first card issued by a major manufacturer that has a MLB license will always be the best card.

Quote:
If we didn't have these guidelines the next thing out would be High School cards......they would be considered the new rookie cards.
They're already here........... AFLAC cards.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

[QUOTE=go_steelers07;129918]whether a card is called a "rookie card" or not...... the first card issued by a major manufacturer that has a MLB license will always be the best card.

I totally understand your point.....in a certain sense I am with you on that and the "old-school" collector in me says the first card that comes out (w/the MLB liscense as you said) is the one you want. Who cares what the RC "rules" are?

However, another side of me wants to say to myself "No, the card you want is the official rookie card. The RC is the reason you started collecting many years ago."

]
Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

I just know that I value the 85T McGwire more than any of the 87 Cards.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

the only way to truly put this issue to rest is for the MLBPA to forbid any cards of a player that hasn't played in a MLB game........ but that would mean good-bye to:

1. Bowman
2. Bowman Chrome
3. Bowman draft
4. Bowman Sterling
5. EEE
6. (probably a few others)

......at least for a few years.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Default Here is another deliema.......the XRC

With porspect and draft cards out do XRC's even exist nowadays? I haven't done much research but I haven't seen these in Beckett since 03 Prospects Premieres Set w/Wright, Howard (these are the last ones I purchased anyway). Prior to that it was some boxes of 02 Prospect Premieres (great year for this product....Fielder, Kazmir, Upton.....only hit the Kazmir though)

XRC's were "the big cards" to get as I remember the 80's (Albeit, I dont remember too much)