Blowout Cards Forums
Alchemy Promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Honestly I think this was a very big signing for the yankees. If Joba starts next year then you basically have 3 aces in the rotation in Joba, Wang, and Sabathia. Then you have Hughes and now you know Burnett or Lowe is going to sign with the yankees. The yankees had a bad season last year and now they have to make some moves. We will be talking next year about how this was a great signing.
cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
Wang, Cano, Joba....not sure if any of those went to the all star game but they are good. You remember Zach Greinke, it took him 4 years to develop and he finally had a good year. Hughes is very very young, you need to give him time. Remember, the Yankees in the 90s were powered power Jeter, Williams, Rivera and Posada. The new generation will be Joba, Hughes (I still think he can work out), Cano (if he can just grow up) and Wang. So just give the Yankees some time, remember the Brewers can give the young guys time cause if they lose then it isn't the end of the world, if the Yankees give up another year and throw out a young roster the fair weather fans will stop showing up and watching tv.....oh yea we have so many of those fans and they make me sick when they can barely name 3 players.
Yeah, your right about that. I go down to Florida every year (delray beach, near West Palm beach) And I always make sure that I go to the Boca Ale house and catch one Brewers game in April on MLB Extra innings. Everytime I go, the Yankees are on every screen. And I got to talking with an older guy a few years back who said he's retired and loves the Yankees. I asked him who his favorite player is and he said "The Mick" Referring to Mantle. I then asked: "Who's your favorite player on the team now?" He goes: "I don't know, I like them all, Go Yanks!" TOOL! LOL
2001 UD GOLF CASES
Packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellis74 View Post
Pittsburgh is trying to sign David Eckstein
I'll believe that when I see it. The Pirates love to blow smoke...saying they're talking to someone...probably about where they'll be signing as it won't be with Pittsburgh. XD

As for the thing about the Pirates keeping their young talent...first off you need to have young talent to develop. XD Of course I can't blame that on our current GM since he didn't draft all these flops and pass on people like Ryan Howard...but still. Trading away Bay and Nady...why? I can see maybe one...but not both...and they're already talk of McClouth going somewhere else, trying to get top dollar for him...which for them is 3 AA prospects. Meh...guess I'm just tired of seeing them fail over and over, letting every single one of their good players go.

Anyhow...don't mean to hi-jack the thread..so back to the topic at hand. I have to admit the Yankees are probably one of my least favorite teams, along with the Braves of course. I personally would have liked to see him sign with the Dodgers.

As for the Salary Cap...I can honestly say I'm all in favor of that! lol. Seriously...what happens when a player signs with the Yankees or Boston...and then they don't perform as well...their price now is out of range for 90% of MLB and so they probably won't get singed for what they now expect to make. I honestly think the cap has helped the NHL in some ways. Don't like it in others because I'd love to see the Penguins be able to keep all their players, but it keeps things a bit more fair overall.

HOF Auto needs (277/287): www.freewebs.com/wju2004
wju2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wju2004 View Post
I honestly think the cap has helped the NHL in some ways. Don't like it in others because I'd love to see the Penguins be able to keep all their players, but it keeps things a bit more fair overall.
The NHL was doing horrible finacially...the MLB is doing as good if not better than the NFL. Why would the MLB change something that is not broken. The Rays-Phillies world series had the worst ratings ever....imagine if they had a salary cap and the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Angels, Dodgers & Giants all missed the playoffs, that playoff would be a horrible for the MLB. MLB needs their big market teams to do good.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
The Pirates are trying to keep their young players and build from within the organization. They wont trade McCluth so thats a good sign.
Where's Overbay...and what about these great trades??

July 23, 2003: Pittsburgh Pirates trade Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton to the Chicago Cubs for Jose Hernandez, Matt Bruback and Bobby Hill.

July 30, 2001: Pittsburgh Pirates trade Jason Schmidt and Jon VanderWal to the San Francisco Giants for Armando Rios and Ryan Vogelsong.

No the Pirates will always unload after things don't work for 2 seasons...at least my beloved Reds hang onto hope for 8-10 years at a time

Like right now...The Reds have some of the best young pitching in the game, but not a lick of offense, unless you want to rely on 2 second year players Votto and Bruce

No, our small market teams have to rely on the draft and then we only have a shot for a few years before our stars become Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Cubs, or Angels.

Best small market team...The Twins IMHO

Not a Yankee hater...I grew to love watching them beat the Braves in the playoffs since my Reds couldn't

Collecting Brandon Phillips, Barry Larkin and Jesse Winker
Bigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74

OK so maybe they arent keeping their talent.......lol so much for trying to make a Pirate fans day
Old 12-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #32 (permalink)

Hahaha. Nah, it's not possible to do that. XD I know the reality of the situation unfortunately and until they actually prove they're willing to sign a few people rather than just trading them away, it'll continue to be a sad day for the Pirates.

HOF Auto needs (277/287): www.freewebs.com/wju2004
wju2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
Ah another Yankee hater....don't hate the Yankees hate your team...if your owner is unwilling to give CC $140 too bad. The Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels and a few others that I forgot have great fans who buy tickets, buy merchandise, go to games and spend a lot of money. Support your team, get a great owner who is willing to spend money, and don't complain. George Steinbrenner was the best owner ever in history, instead of putting the money in his pockets he made this team a winner, and it looks like his kids are doing the same thing, god bless the Steinbrenner's, best owners ever.
You gotta love when we sign players because all the Yankee-haterade comes out lol!

Go Yankees!!!
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #34 (permalink)

As long as the Pirates keep their four starters together (Snell, Gorzelanny, Duke & Maholm) they should be competitive. I see what they are trying to do there but with 15 years of incompetence their fans are giving up.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #35 (permalink)

Yes I am also a fan of the pirates but you're right.. the ownership/management is always content with not doing much and this is why we are losing fans. Year after year its the same old song and dance... kinda old now but all we can do is sit back and hope!

Maybe there is some billionare that would want to buy the team and pump some money back into it then maybe eh....
Old 12-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #36 (permalink)

NY Loves to do things big

CC Sabathia $23,000,000 2009-15
J. Santana $22,916,667 2008-13

$83,333.33 different you think Steinbrenner did that on purpose huh lol

Last edited by jbellis74; 12-10-2008 at 03:42 PM.
jbellis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
NY Loves to do things big

CC Sabathia $23,000,000 2009-15
J. Santana $22,916,667 2008-13

$83,333.33 different you think Steinbrenner did that on purpose huh lol

Interesting lol.. big things indeed! Just hope we can keep that boy on a decent waist size lol!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wju2004 View Post
Hahaha. Nah, it's not possible to do that. XD I know the reality of the situation unfortunately and until they actually prove they're willing to sign a few people rather than just trading them away, it'll continue to be a sad day for the Pirates.
Here is some information for Pittsburgh Pirates fans

Signed Ramon Vasquez 2 years 4 million

Ramon Vazquez Career Statistics | texasrangers.com: Stats

Last edited by jbellis74; 12-11-2008 at 11:00 AM.
jbellis74 is offline   Reply With Quote