Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74
Default NY Post reports CC agrees to 7 year 160 million dollar deal

With Yanks nothing is official yet

The Official Site of Major League Baseball | MLB.com: Homepage

ESPN - Sources: New York Yankees 'close' to signing CC Sabathia

Last edited by jbellis74; 12-10-2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: More years more money than originally posted
jbellis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cubfan86

Sounds like it is going to be a 7 year deal now for around $160 mil.
I do not know how to feel about the deal. I do not like the Yankees and was hoping that none of the BIG free agents would have signed there this offseason but that was just not going to happen.
On the other hand I am a Cubs fan and am happy to see him go back to the AL and FAR away from the Brewers.
Cubfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yesterday I was marking CC off the map and happy the Yankees did not get him with his 7+ ERA in the playoffs, now I will have to live with him for 7 years. With him and Arod in the same team, wow hope this team doesn't choke for the next 7 years.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yanks are said to also have made AJ Burnett the highest offer as well...and are rumored to be looking into signing Pettitte for 1 year 10 million and making an offer to Smoltz and Derrick Lowe

Same amount of years (7) that Santana got but more money...
Old 12-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

As a milwaukee Brewers season ticket holder, I am not pleased. Not that we did not re-sign sabathia, but because there is no salary cap in major league baseball like there is in other pro-sports. And until that day comes, unless your a fan of the Yankees, Mets or Cubs. Your team has almsot zero chance to sign a big-time free agent. Heck, the Brewers threw 45 million at Ryan Braun after only 3/4 of a season, knowing they would lose him too if they let him play on without a contact. CC is a great guy. But I hope the Yanks choke on thier investment and one day find out that making the playoffs/world series can actually be done through good drafting. See: Rockies in 07, Rays/Brewers in 08.
-Jared
2001 UD GOLF CASES
Packerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerfan View Post
As a milwaukee Brewers season ticket holder, I am not pleased. Not that we did not re-sign sabathia, but because there is no salary cap in major league baseball like there is in other pro-sports. And until that day comes, unless your a fan of the Yankees, Mets or Cubs. Your team has almsot zero chance to sign a big-time free agent. Heck, the Brewers threw 45 million at Ryan Braun after only 3/4 of a season, knowing they would lose him too if they let him play on without a contact. CC is a great guy. But I hope the Yanks choke on thier investment and one day find out that making the playoffs/world series can actually be done through good drafting. See: Rockies in 07, Rays/Brewers in 08.
-Jared
Ah another Yankee hater....don't hate the Yankees hate your team...if your owner is unwilling to give CC $140 too bad. The Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels and a few others that I forgot have great fans who buy tickets, buy merchandise, go to games and spend a lot of money. Support your team, get a great owner who is willing to spend money, and don't complain. George Steinbrenner was the best owner ever in history, instead of putting the money in his pockets he made this team a winner, and it looks like his kids are doing the same thing, god bless the Steinbrenner's, best owners ever.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would have to say the best sports owners ever are the Mara family. Without them the NFL would not be what you see now..but I agree with JBS, the Brewers made a ton of money and they have a new fancy multi million dollar stadium to play in. They could have offered CC more money if they wanted to.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

I really need to find myself a new team XD The dang pirates won't even try to spend a dollar anymore. XD

HOF Auto needs (277/287): www.freewebs.com/wju2004
wju2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

The Pirates are trying to keep their young players and build from within the organization. They wont trade McCluth so thats a good sign.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

i'm not buying into all of this hype over this year's free agent pitching class. look at CC's stats over the last 5 years and you'll be getting about 12 wins per year at a 3.2 ERA for what, about $22M/year? i'd rather put that into a batter who will play every day instead. Burnett is even worse for the money they're throwing around since he averages out with a 3.78 ERA and 11 wins per year. definitely crazy. (rant over)
jubei777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
Ah another Yankee hater....don't hate the Yankees hate your team...if your owner is unwilling to give CC $140 too bad. The Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels and a few others that I forgot have great fans who buy tickets, buy merchandise, go to games and spend a lot of money. Support your team, get a great owner who is willing to spend money, and don't complain. George Steinbrenner was the best owner ever in history, instead of putting the money in his pockets he made this team a winner, and it looks like his kids are doing the same thing, god bless the Steinbrenner's, best owners ever.
100% Yankee Homer comment!
Even when the MLB tries to make rules the SteinHITLERS break them. There is no salary cap but the Luxury tax was supposed to curb overspending and the Yankees have blown that away by millions every year. Even as a Cubs fan I think that a salary cap would be a great idea. WE have more money to spend than most but have to make moves to clear salary to trade for someone like Peavy instead of just buying (and overspending) as many players with big names as they can.
When you bash a smaller market team it makes you sound uninformed. I am not a fan of the Brewers by and means because they play in the NL Central but they do go about it the right way. Your statement about hating your team for not everspending on a player makes no since. If the Brewers were to tie up half their payroll on one player they how long would they be competative?
Yankee fans are the Housewives of Orange County type people. If you have no consept of money, you do not understand what 20+ teams in MLB have to do to build NOT buy a team.
JMO
Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellis74 View Post
The Pirates are trying to keep their young players and build from within the organization. They wont trade McCluth so thats a good sign.
Trying to keep their young player??? How about Nady and Bay.....if they do trade McCluth that will be their whole outfield. And they didn't even get that much for Bay and Nady and I think those 2 were very good.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Alright! Yanks get another fat toad! In all seriousness though, the Yanks HAD to make this deal to compete with the Sox and Rays next year. They still have lots of work to do though! They have Sabathia, Wang, ? ........ is Chamberlain a starter or reliever? Is either Hughes or Kennedy ready to take over a spot in the rotation? Who's going to replace the offense vacated by Abreau and Giambi? They still have some holes that need filling, but they filled their biggest hole which was an Ace! I also hear they offered Burnett a 4 yr/68 mill. deal. Doesn't this script sound familiar though....young pitcher with loads of talent who was oft injured in early part of career, has a career year in a year he can walk out of his contract and signs big contract with Yankees. Sounds just like Carl Pavano doesn't it?
Munsonmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

I believe I read somewhere that Burnett actually contacted Pavano asking him what its like to play in NY. Isnt that irony?

I am going out on a limb here and say the Yanks will also sign Manny

Last edited by jbellis74; 12-10-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I believe I read somewhere that Burnett actually contacted Pavano asking him what its like to play in NY. Isnt that irony?

I am going out on a limb here and say the Yanks will also sign Manny
I am sure he said "It's great!! You only have to pitch every 35-40 days and they pay you a couple million per Win!!!!!!"
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Do not mention Pavano! And about the Giants owners I guess you can give me that for now since they have gone through how many generations of owners or is it still only the 2nd generation? And for all of the New York haters, we are a big city (cause it is not just New York, it is New Jersey and Connecticut) and northern New Jersey (Bergen county) is the 3rd richest county in the US so New York teams will always over spend cause there is so much demand. If you want fair competetion you will never get it cause even with the salary cap in the other sports, the owners can still draw players into playing in New York beacause of the advertising incentives so not even the salary cap works.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
First off, I am not a Yankee hater. I wanted nothing more in 2001 than to see the Yankees win it all (post 9/11 attacks) I have great respect for the Yankees. I have many relatives that live in New York. Heck, I think Paul O'neill/Bernie Williams, Jeter and Rivera are some of the most stand-out baseball citizens ever. But you must understand the difference between an owner willing to spend his money and a team that happens to play in the largest city in the world. BIG difference. You obviously know nothing about Brewers Owner Mark Attanasio, who has dramatically increased the Brewers Payroll and wins in each of his first 3 seasons as principal owener of the milwaukee brewers. Antanasio has thrown almost 50 million at Ryan Braun, 42 million at Jeff Suppan, 10 million/1yr at Gange, and the Brewers broke 3 million in attendance in 2008. The BREWERS, yes, the Friggin Brewers had a higher attandance than the Boston Red Sox! Steinbrenner makes his money because of the YES network and other avenues that smaller markets do not even have access to. I hate Yankee fans who think Stienbrenner is the only owner willing to spend. DEAD wrong. Stenbrenner just happens to BRING IN more money than any other owner, so therfore he can spend more. Geez Big Show, take off the pinstripe-colored glasses for just a moment!
-Jared
2001 UD GOLF CASES
Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Anyway going back to the topic at hand. 7 Years 160 million dollars for a pitcher who is a bit on the chubby side could be 2 years too many. Only time will tell.

Last edited by jbellis74; 12-10-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Geez Big Show, take off the pinstripe-colored glasses for just a moment!
-Jared
Good points, but the problem is I don't have glasses, the pinstripe is permanetly on my eyes so all I see is Yankees sorry. But good point about YES. So they why do people complain when Yankees spend a lot of money? I just hate when people say the Yankees buy their championships, they have money, they could easily spend $300 million this year, they make that from YES.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Good points, but the problem is I don't have glasses, the pinstripe is permanetly on my eyes so all I see is Yankees sorry. But good point about YES. So they why do people complain when Yankees spend a lot of money? I just hate when people say the Yankees buy their championships, they have money, they could easily spend $300 million this year, they make that from YES.
Again, I am not complaining about spending money. I just think that there should be a salary cap. Bud Selig, a Milwaukee native (who still has an office here and lives here during the season) Said on a Milwaukee radio station last September that he would love to see the Brewers or Rays win it all because It would finally show big-market teams that you actually have to have decent drafts to win. With all of the technology today, scouting has become more efficiant and important.
-Jared
2001 UD GOLF CASES
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Again, I am not complaining about spending money. I just think that there should be a salary cap. Bud Selig, a Milwaukee native (who still has an office here and lives here during the season) Said on a Milwaukee radio station last September that he would love to see the Brewers or Rays win it all because It would finally show big-market teams that you actually have to have decent drafts to win. With all of the technology today, scouting has become more efficiant and important.
-Jared
But the problem with that is the Yankees do draft well, however they cannot put these guys out and hope they work out....look what happened last year. Hughes, Kennedy, Cano, Melky all had horrible years, I am sure that a couple of those will turn out to be good players, but in New York we want to win now, so the prospects do not have time to develop....it is eitheir work out right away like Joba, or get traded and work out somewhere else.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wju2004 View Post
I really need to find myself a new team XD The dang pirates won't even try to spend a dollar anymore. XD
Pittsburgh is trying to sign David Eckstein
Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
But the problem with that is the Yankees do draft well, however they cannot put these guys out and hope they work out....look what happened last year. Hughes, Kennedy, Cano, Melky all had horrible years, I am sure that a couple of those will turn out to be good players, but in New York we want to win now, so the prospects do not have time to develop....it is eitheir work out right away like Joba, or get traded and work out somewhere else.
If the draft picks have had bad years, that means the Yanks are NOT drafting well. Lets simply see who has drafted better: In the last Two years, the Brewers have sent Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Cory Hart, JJ Hardy, Ben Sheets and Geoff Genkins to the ALL STAR game. Thats 6 Brewers DRAFT PICKS to the ALL STAR game in the LAST TWO YEARS! How many Yankee palyers drafted by the team have made the All-star game in the last two years Jacob?
-Jared
2001 UD GOLF CASES
Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #24 (permalink)

Its a shame C.C. didn't stay with the Brewers, he seemed like a perfect fit. I can understand the frustration of the small market fan, but would the Brewers had been better served paying C.C. $25 million or using that on 3-4 quality players? Probably the latter.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
If the draft picks have had bad years, that means the Yanks are NOT drafting well. Lets simply see who has drafted better: In the last Two years, the Brewers have sent Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Cory Hart, JJ Hardy, Ben Sheets and Geoff Genkins to the ALL STAR game. Thats 6 Brewers DRAFT PICKS to the ALL STAR game in the LAST TWO YEARS! How many Yankee palyers drafted by the team have made the All-star game in the last two years Jacob?
-Jared
Wang, Cano, Joba....not sure if any of those went to the all star game but they are good. You remember Zach Greinke, it took him 4 years to develop and he finally had a good year. Hughes is very very young, you need to give him time. Remember, the Yankees in the 90s were powered power Jeter, Williams, Rivera and Posada. The new generation will be Joba, Hughes (I still think he can work out), Cano (if he can just grow up) and Wang. So just give the Yankees some time, remember the Brewers can give the young guys time cause if they lose then it isn't the end of the world, if the Yankees give up another year and throw out a young roster the fair weather fans will stop showing up and watching tv.....oh yea we have so many of those fans and they make me sick when they can barely name 3 players.