Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTree View Post
What also can happen is that the Post Office will send it through and process it as Priority Mail. Which means that the BUYER will receive the package with a nice postage due envelope for the difference.

This actually happened to me twice as a buyer, and needless to say, I was NOT pleased with the sellers.
Yes but is that really the seller's fault if a postal worker makes a judgment call that can go either way? I've been told by postal employees that bubble mailers are considered 1st class Large Envelope which is .88, and I've been told by others that they can never be shipped for .88 because they are rigid and require parcel service!

So for you to make this comment, unless I misunderstood you, any eBay seller's feedback on any given day might be at the mercy of some postal worker's decision to scan or not to scan? Not the seller's fault. Even a packing peanut might not save the day. What if the package measures 5/8 instead of 3/4? It's pettiness by USPS and pettiness by any buyer who would get worked up if a "postage due" notice came on a judgment call.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:52 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Yes but is that really the seller's fault if a postal worker makes a judgment call that can go either way? I've been told by postal employees that bubble mailers are considered 1st class Large Envelope which is .88, and I've been told by others that they can never be shipped for .88 because they are rigid and require parcel service!

So for you to make this comment, unless I misunderstood you, any eBay seller's feedback on any given day might be at the mercy of some postal worker's decision to scan or not to scan? Not the seller's fault. Even a packing peanut might not save the day. What if the package measures 5/8 instead of 3/4? It's pettiness by USPS and pettiness by any buyer who would get worked up if a "postage due" notice came on a judgment call.
The fact is, First Class flats cannot be DC'ed; Priority Mail flats can. Otherwise DC has to be used on parcels, meaning that the envelope has to be at least 3/4" thick. So if the envelope isn't 3/4" thick, but it has a DC on it, then the Post Office has a right to return it, or to treat it like a Priority Mail flat and charge the Priority Mail rate.

It's not my fault that the seller (in my example) stuck a DC label on the envelope, but didn't ensure that it was thick enough to be a parcel (there was no attempt, FYI, no packing peanut, no wadded paper, nothing). Rules are rules.

How is it pettiness when I'm being asked by the USPS to pay $2+ postage due, on top of the postage which I already paid the seller? Anyway, both sellers in my case refunded the amounts of postage due I had to pay out of pocket, so I left them positive feedback.
PalmTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTree View Post

How is it pettiness when I'm being asked by the USPS to pay $2+ postage due, on top of the postage which I already paid the seller? Anyway, both sellers in my case refunded the amounts of postage due I had to pay out of pocket, so I left them positive feedback.
Well its good that you left the positive after they corrected it. I called it pettiness because in actuality this is a policy that is enforced .01% of the time apparently, and most people don't even know about the policy. I have been selling on eBay for 12 years and I just found out about this rule on Friday! Never had a single bubble mailer returned to me for postage due. That's thousands of mailers, thousands of postal employees handling that mail, thousands of buyers, and zero problems. So I guess as a seller who didn't know about the policy until this Friday, not only would I feel bad if my customer got stuck with postage due but I would be frustrated if they expressed any kind of anger over it (not saying you did this, but in general).

As of yesterday I now use a packing peanut thanks to this thread, but 2 days ago I was that guy who was caught off by surprise. I'm glad it was returned to me and not to my customer and we'll call it a lesson learned.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote