Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation eBay/Paypal shipping labels may no longer be valid!?!?

I just received a batch of RTS mail today from the past week of eBay auctions. Attached was a note stating that Delivery Confirmation can no longer be purchased for items less then 3/4 inch thick unless shipped Priority. This includes most bubble mailers!

This would have a monumental effect on eBay businesses if true. Imagine not being able to get DC anymore on standard bubble mailer shipments. Paypal would be flooded with chargebacks from scammers and sellers would have no method to prove delivery.

Has anyone else had this issue recently? I'm hoping this was nothing more than a cranky postal employee who doesn't know what they're doing, but with all the recent USPS changes I fear for the worst.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

...This has always been the case, they are just being more strict. All you need to do is put a packing peanut inside your bubble mailers. There have been numerous topics discussing this.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post
...This has always been the case, they are just being more strict. All you need to do is put a packing peanut inside your bubble mailers. There have been numerous topics discussing this.
Has always been true, I always use cardboard whenever I sell anything to ensure I don't run into the problem. Not surprising they are being more strict with how much money they are losing.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I had no idea. Been doing this 12 years and never had a batch returned for improper use of DC lol. Thought maybe there was a new policy or something.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

they starting doing different tracking last week at the post office also, so maybe that has something to do with it....... I just take all my stuff to the post office & pay for delivery confirmation there, it cost you just about as much to print all that crap as it does just to let them do it.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's cheaper online then at the PO and I hate going in and waiting in line..I usually only mail via Paypal shipping now unless I have something going out to Canada.

Yeah in the PO they have told me that a few times now about the size and I forget to throw some extra packaging peanuts in there
armyatc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

whats your method so that you don't have to stand in line? drop em in the blue box or what?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
whats your method so that you don't have to stand in line? drop em in the blue box or what?
If you print the shipping label w/ paypal all you have to do is hand it to the mail carrier when he shows up. If it's a large enough package you can schedule a pickup and they come to your house and pick it up. Not to mention DC is only 0.19 cents through paypal as opposed to 0.80 at the post office.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Wow, may have to start putting a packaging peanut in, I have not run into any problems yet.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
If you print the shipping label w/ paypal all you have to do is hand it to the mail carrier when he shows up. If it's a large enough package you can schedule a pickup and they come to your house and pick it up. Not to mention DC is only 0.19 cents through paypal as opposed to 0.80 at the post office.
This holds true.
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
my packages are typically all different sizes, different cards, packs, boxes etc, how do you know the postage without a scale?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
my packages are typically all different sizes, different cards, packs, boxes etc, how do you know the postage without a scale?
You can't. You can buy a good postal scale on amazon for less than $30 and it's well worth the investment to never have to wait in line not to mention, if you are only spending 0.19 cents on DC, and you mail several packages the scale will pay for itself.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
everything up to 3oz is now the same price. Almost every mailer with 1-3 cards in it will fall within this 3 oz limit which is $1.75 through paypal and $2.51 through the post office.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

you mean $1.71? that's what they charged me today when I dropped off. I never have to wait in line at my post office.

I appreciate everyones info on the options.

just curious about a few more things.......

1. doesn't waiting on the mail man to come suck? and don't you miss him from time to time when trying to give him a package?

2. what happens when you mail 20-50 at a time?

I do alot of really cheap cards sometimes to dump stuff off, and I typically never needed delivery confirmation on these small packages, but anything over like $5 or more i'd use it on.

I appreciate the responses/info
Old 05-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
you mean $1.71? that's what they charged me today when I dropped off. I never have to wait in line at my post office.

1. doesn't waiting on the mail man to come suck? and don't you miss him from time to time when trying to give him a package?

I do alot of really cheap cards sometimes to dump stuff off, and I typically never needed delivery confirmation on these small packages, but anything over like $5 or more i'd use it on.

You can just schedule a time for pickup and they will come to your door and pick them.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
You can just schedule a time for pickup and they will come to your door and pick them.
you just call up there and say? 10 o clock pick up? and they come get em?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

Its $1.71 base shipping, and $.80 extra for delivery confirmation.

Paypal is $1.75 w/ DC

You don't have to wait on a mailman, you can go to the post office and give it to them at the counter or bypass the line and drop it off (I do this right next to the counter and they take it after they are done helping that customer).

Quote:
you just call up there and say? 10 o clock pick up? and they come get em?
http://www.usps.com/pickup/welcome.htm

Miracle of the modern world
Old 05-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Its only $1.71 when your weight doesn't exceed that amount and you don't use DC. After adding DC it will be $2.51@PO...
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post
Its $1.71 base shipping, and $.80 extra for delivery confirmation.

Paypal is $1.75 w/ DC

You don't have to wait on a mailman, you can go to the post office and give it to them at the counter or bypass the line and drop it off (I do this right next to the counter and they take it after they are done helping that customer).

USPS - Pickup Options

Miracle of the modern world
I usually put my out packages in my mailbox since I live in a complex & it's a locked mailbox nobody but my mail carrier can get. Makes things alot easier indeed!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
I just received a batch of RTS mail today from the past week of eBay auctions. Attached was a note stating that Delivery Confirmation can no longer be purchased for items less then 3/4 inch thick unless shipped Priority. This includes most bubble mailers!

This would have a monumental effect on eBay businesses if true. Imagine not being able to get DC anymore on standard bubble mailer shipments. Paypal would be flooded with chargebacks from scammers and sellers would have no method to prove delivery.

Has anyone else had this issue recently? I'm hoping this was nothing more than a cranky postal employee who doesn't know what they're doing, but with all the recent USPS changes I fear for the worst.
Jim...
Yes the envelope has to be 3/4 thick if it's not sent priority. But you should not have been returned the packages. What the post office will do is send them through as regular mail and not scan the DC bar code if it is less than 3/4 inch thick. I know this because I have friends that work at the post office. If you check some of your old DC forms from paypal some may not have any information if you have been shipping this way. Some workers will scan, some will not, but you did pay postage and it shouldn't be returned to you.
Frankp2311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
they starting doing different tracking last week at the post office also, so maybe that has something to do with it....... I just take all my stuff to the post office & pay for delivery confirmation there, it cost you just about as much to print all that crap as it does just to let them do it.
not even close............
Old 05-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
not even close............
it's only .61 per transaction saved.....

wouldn't the paper/ink atleast shave 10-20 cent off doing it? scale, time etc.

just seems easier to take it up there & let them do it, you don't have to weight it or print anything, my line is never long.

ebay customers pay for the shipping. I don't really think they would have a problem with covering the .60 ??

is there additional savings i'm not understanding?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:

just seems easier to take it up there & let them do it, you don't have to weight it or print anything, my line is never long.

ebay customers pay for the shipping. I don't really think they would have a problem with covering the .60 ??

I prefer the paypal shipping because I don't have to fill anything out and it automatically uploads the DC# to ebay. Not to mention, I hate the people that work at the post office I go and it's must easier to just hand the package to the mailman. Even if I miss him, I can just drive to the post office and put it in the blue box that is outside. If you buy your ink in bulk or have your cartridges refilled it brings down the cost as well. I get my ink for my printer refilled at costco for 9.99.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

yes.

when you ship 100's of items every couple of weeks (although i haven't sold much in the last month. it's mostly going to COMC)....... that $0.61 adds up.
and it's much quicker to use the multi shipping tool to print labels rather than writing them out....... a few clicks of the mouse and then peel & stick. so going to the PO to have the clerk weigh 100 mailers is alittle more time consuming.

ink per label might be 10 cents........
buying the labels in bulk costs about 5 cents per label
Old 05-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp2311 View Post
Jim...
Yes the envelope has to be 3/4 thick if it's not sent priority. But you should not have been returned the packages. What the post office will do is send them through as regular mail and not scan the DC bar code if it is less than 3/4 inch thick. I know this because I have friends that work at the post office. If you check some of your old DC forms from paypal some may not have any information if you have been shipping this way. Some workers will scan, some will not, but you did pay postage and it shouldn't be returned to you.
What also can happen is that the Post Office will send it through and process it as Priority Mail. Which means that the BUYER will receive the package with a nice postage due envelope for the difference.

This actually happened to me twice as a buyer, and needless to say, I was NOT pleased with the sellers.
PalmTree is offline   Reply With Quote