Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zw15 View Post
A lot of people bought cards just because they love the player, not for investment, the more people love Harper, the price will just go up. If he truely hit 50+ homer in his rookie year, then people will be crazy for him, I can see price skyrocketing again if that happens.
Gotta say, you couldnt be more wrong. He's unproven stud who dropped out of high school and tore up JC. Nationals fans = minimal. I love watching young prospects...possibilities are endless, but this market has NOTHING to do with cause "they love the player."
catcherball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockw82 View Post
What do you consider McGwire's rookie to be? The USA card was issued 2 years before his debut.
The McGwire was a part of the base 1985 Topps set so that makes it a bit different. I think the 2010 Harper USA is more akin to one of the Traded sets in the 80s. Are Bonds' 1986 traded cards considered his RCs or his 1987 base cards?

Last edited by Andrew Jones; 05-21-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #28 (permalink)

Who cares? Let people buy what they want to buy.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #29 (permalink)

For me personally, I always consider the first release to be that player's rookie, but that's just me.
brockw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajshack View Post
Who cares? Let people buy what they want to buy.
and let's hope they continue to pay big $ for what they buy...........

as a seller (NOT COLLECTOR), i could care less why cards sell..... just as long as they for more than what i paid for them.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
What do you consider McGwire's rookie to be? The USA card was issued 2 years before his debut.
McGuire was drafted in 84 so the 85 Topps is definitely considered his rookie because it's his first card as an Athletic. If the Bryce Harper USA came out after the draft, I would have no problem referring to that as his rookie. But now that Topps is making 100 cards of a player before they even get drafted, I stop taking those cards seriously.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
For me personally, I always consider the first release to be that player's rookie, but that's just me.
Exactly. And the market always reflects that. Because regardless of what some people prefer, the first card always sells for the most. Then the 2nd card of that player in a uniform of the team goes for less. Its this staple that makes me purchase the 1st card whenever Im interested in a players rookie card for potential gains.
glewis222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseHead12 View Post
LOL @ $35. 5 years from now these could go unsold on ebay for 0.99. I dont see how people think Harper is a good investment right now. Realistically how much higher can his cards go? I think the prices are where they are at now because of all the speculation is driving up the prices. When he gets called up and even if he hits 50+ bombs his rookie year do you think people are going to be dropping over a hundred for his base chromes? Personally I dont see that happening. I am new to collecting baseball so I dont really know how things work but it all seems stupid to me as an investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs2011 View Post
I sold all my Chrome Harpers on ebay the same day I pulled them. These cards will be $2-$4 cards in a month or so. The Chrome by my count is as easy to pull as the base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
You are actually making our point with this comment. His 2010 Chrome card is selling for $35-$50 one year after the product was released. Tough to believe his first card in a Nats uniform would ever drop below $10. Anyone who thinks this will be a $2-$4 card is nuts. Whose gonna buy his USA for $50 when they can have his 2011 for $4? Nobody, because his 2011 will never be $4!!
As for the two quote above, i agree with auctionjmm, you two must really want people to sell those chrome for $2-$4 each, which it will not reach. Right now the market is flooded with the Bryce Harper Hype that it is in a affordable situation. With his Auto in the Mix, these Chrome card are usually ignore a bit beside the parallel version. These card will pick up once the market is no longer full of it online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
I tend to agree. The USA boxed sets and pack-inserted parallels have not been embraced by the hobby as RCs in the past. They seem to be akin to XRCs and I think the 2010 Harper USA card will be treated the same way. It may still be more valuable long term, but I don't think it will be considered to be his RC by most within the hobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
McGuire was drafted in 84 so the 85 Topps is definitely considered his rookie because it's his first card as an Athletic. If the Bryce Harper USA came out after the draft, I would have no problem referring to that as his rookie. But now that Topps is making 100 cards of a player before they even get drafted, I stop taking those cards seriously.
Example 2002 Upper Deck Prospect Premieres, all first year player non-auto and auto are XRc, even the USA card is considered XRc if you do not believe it or not, but due to it being 1st Bowman Chrome, the hobbiest will lobby to have that type of card instead. But you have to remember, will you even pay for 300$ for a box of jumbo of 2010 Bowman or would you just pay the outright of 50$ for a Bryce Harper USA Chrome. Once these case are dry up by the distributor, count these 2011 Bowman Harper Chrome to be more expensive once the case reaches 2000$ per jumbo case. However, the 2010 USA Bowman Chrome card will be more expensive nonetheless because there are less supply of that card compare to the 2011 Bowman(you could hit the Bowman or Chrome).

Last edited by newxtigher; 05-21-2011 at 08:21 PM.
newxtigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post
This is definitely true, but Harper's major league debut won't be for at least another year

Prices continue to drop:

Chromes selling as low as $12.50 now

2011 BOWMAN CHROME BRYCE HARPER!!! | eBay
Someone giving away 30%+ of the going rate via Buy It Now doesn't really constitute $12.00 as the going rate. While it may fall to that level, that is not at all the going rate right now.
mr10pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #35 (permalink)

Collectors on other boards tend to prefer the first card in a MLB uniform. Another player to reflect that is Manny Machado. Everybody will tell you his 2010 Bowman Draft Chromes are the "rookies" they would invest in for him, not his 2010 Bowman Chrome USA. As mentioned before, McGwire's USA was issued in mainstream Topps base issue and that's why it is a rookie card. The other thing that gets lost in discussions is first year versus rookie year. Since 2006 all prospects are first year cards and not truly rookie cards since they are apart of insert sets. While everybody clamors over prospect cards as being their first and rookie card, their true RCs do not come until they debut in the majors. It confuses novice collectors because they were guys who had bowman cards pre-2006 which were true RC and then had a another card after 2006 when they made their debut and the rookie card logo was attached. Any first issue card starting in 06 is a insert card not a rookie card which is designated by being issued in a mainstream distributed base set by a licensed manufacturer after a player has made his debut. None of these USA chromes or prospect cards are true rookie cards, but are still first-year cards which is what everybody has come to accept as the cards to have. USA in the end takes a backseat to the first issued cards of a prospect in his MLB uniform.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ac View Post
Collectors on other boards tend to prefer the first card in a MLB uniform. Another player to reflect that is Manny Machado. Everybody will tell you his 2010 Bowman Draft Chromes are the "rookies" they would invest in for him, not his 2010 Bowman Chrome USA. As mentioned before, McGwire's USA was issued in mainstream Topps base issue and that's why it is a rookie card. The other thing that gets lost in discussions is first year versus rookie year. Since 2006 all prospects are first year cards and not truly rookie cards since they are apart of insert sets. While everybody clamors over prospect cards as being their first and rookie card, their true RCs do not come until they debut in the majors. It confuses novice collectors because they were guys who had bowman cards pre-2006 which were true RC and then had a another card after 2006 when they made their debut and the rookie card logo was attached. Any first issue card starting in 06 is a insert card not a rookie card which is designated by being issued in a mainstream distributed base set by a licensed manufacturer after a player has made his debut. None of these USA chromes or prospect cards are true rookie cards, but are still first-year cards which is what everybody has come to accept as the cards to have. USA in the end takes a backseat to the first issued cards of a prospect in his MLB uniform.
except for Harper...............
Old 05-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #37 (permalink)

There is a much shorter supply of USA chromes than 2011 base chromes. The USAs were inserts, not 6 per jumbo pack. They were fairly hard to pull. They will always command a premium based on that.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartender623 View Post
Nah, I've only opened a fraction of what some people bust on here (2 Jumbo boxes, 30 rack packs, and 3 blasters). In total, I have pulled one Harper Chrome and 2 Harper base - so no, not an easy pull either way.

I'd also like to point out that NONE of my Harpers were pulled from the 2 Jumbo boxes I got. Those were a total waste of $400.00.
I agree bro Ive been pulling out my hair busting Retail becuz the prices are crazy for Hobby boxes and I have to say after 5 Retail Blasters and 20 Racks I've pulled 2 Topps 100 Harpers and 1 Base Harper now that's wack!!!! And I just busted 2 more Blasters and went offer!!! I think I'm going back to The high end stuff Bowman Sterling Topos Sterling and 2011 Tributes atleast I can be happy with an auto or Jersey Relic even if I do spend $60 bucks per pack lol but I think I'll give Bowman one more try at that Harper Auto but #@#@#@#@ by that time I could of probably just bought one from eBay with all the money I spent!!! Bowman 2011 Sucks!!!!!!! BB
Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #39 (permalink)

I think it's really too early to make a fair assessment. People are busting a ton of Bowman this week and into next. Of course tons of cards will hit the market and it will get flooded. You can't expect prices to hold a $50 or even $30. That was expected. But I can't ever see it go below $10 unless some seller makes a mistake or some buyer gets lucky. On "average" it won't go below $10.

2 weeks from now, we'll see the prices climb back up and settle in the $20-$30 range. And when he gets called up, I see it going back up to the $40-$50.
pakman916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #40 (permalink)

Harper Chrome base will most likely hold in the $15 range. There is no way this card gets down below $10 and no way it ever climbs back above $40 in my opinion. Attention will continue to be on him and he's ripping up the pitching that he is seeing. I'd bet they climb again as September gets closer in anticipation of a call up, despite the Nats GM already stating they won't call him up. I also think the price will be more stable for his stuff compared to stras b/c he is not a pitcher. You could literally watch his prices change with each pitching performance.
wem1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #41 (permalink)

2 weeks from now, we'll see the prices climb back up and settle in the $20-$30 range. And when he gets called up, I see it going back up to the $40-$50.

Agree with this statement. Same thing happen last year with Strasburg. Right now is the time to buy it's a buyers market
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #42 (permalink)

Did I just get lucky today or is the hype around Bowman this year going away already? I walked into a Wal-Mart around 12:30 today and there were 18 rack packs, 33 regular packs and 6-7 blasters. I only had enough money to get 10 racks, but the fact that I actually found some is surprising. Plus to think that there were 33 regular packs in the gravity feeder, leads me to believe someone had already hit it, but left the rest. I'm in New Orleans and all the other Targets, Wally Worlds, and TRU are sold out.

Last edited by obenheimer; 05-22-2011 at 03:58 PM.
obenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote