Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default lol on bowman 2011 harper prices

So about 72 hours ago, someone bought the first BCP1 non-auto on ebay for $135 or so. I just bought a BP1, BCP1, Brightest and Best of Harper for $35. You gotta love supply and demand!
fishacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Enjoy it through the weekend. By next week these will be back where they should be. Same thing happened with the big hits in Bowman Draft.
auctionjmm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Enjoy it through the weekend. By next week these will be back where they should be. Same thing happened with the big hits in Bowman Draft.
Um, no, they will be lower. Dude, there are thousands of these Harpers hitting the market.
glewis222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
I agree with this. Not by next week but give it a few weeks and the prices will climb back up. Not to the initial levels but the market supply will begin to thin out some, and they prices will increase.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

LOL @ $35. 5 years from now these could go unsold on ebay for 0.99. I dont see how people think Harper is a good investment right now. Realistically how much higher can his cards go? I think the prices are where they are at now because of all the speculation is driving up the prices. When he gets called up and even if he hits 50+ bombs his rookie year do you think people are going to be dropping over a hundred for his base chromes? Personally I dont see that happening. I am new to collecting baseball so I dont really know how things work but it all seems stupid to me as an investment.

Last edited by CheeseHead12; 05-21-2011 at 01:38 AM.
CheeseHead12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

A lot of people bought cards just because they love the player, not for investment, the more people love Harper, the price will just go up. If he truely hit 50+ homer in his rookie year, then people will be crazy for him, I can see price skyrocketing again if that happens.
zw15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseHead12 View Post
LOL @ $35. 5 years from now these could go unsold on ebay for 0.99. I dont see how people think Harper is a good investment right now. Realistically how much higher can his cards go? I think the prices are where they are at now because of all the speculation is driving up the prices. When he gets called up and even if he hits 50+ bombs his rookie year do you think people are going to be dropping over a hundred for his base chromes? Personally I dont see that happening. I am new to collecting baseball so I dont really know how things work but it all seems stupid to me as an investment.
I might laugh for 1 card but for all four I am happy to have his from the set!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

I sold all my Chrome Harpers on ebay the same day I pulled them. These cards will be $2-$4 cards in a month or so. The Chrome by my count is as easy to pull as the base.
Chiefs2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs2011 View Post
I sold all my Chrome Harpers on ebay the same day I pulled them. These cards will be $2-$4 cards in a month or so. The Chrome by my count is as easy to pull as the base.
COnsider yourself lucky because I busted a value box and jumbo box and pulled only 1 harper chrome and no other harpers. They will not be $2-$4 cards. They may come down but they'll be over $10
Old 05-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
definately not........ if you opened more you'd see it's not that easy of a pull.
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

why are you guys surprised and amazed by this? it happens EVERY YEAR with at least one player. and it will happen again with other players' cards from the various years. probably not at the level of a Harper, Stras, Gordon, Castro, Heyward...etc, but it will happen at some point. that's when you have to take advantage of it........ and that's what so great about Bowman and why people break it in quantity. this is SOP with Bowman/Bowman Chrome.

i've read other threads about this same topic and chuckle a bit more at the people who start the threads than the people who payed more than $50 for a Haper.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

His 2010 Bowman could end up being his most desireable non-auto chrome card anyway.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
His 2010 Bowman could end up being his most desireable non-auto chrome card anyway.
You are actually making our point with this comment. His 2010 Chrome card is selling for $35-$50 one year after the product was released. Tough to believe his first card in a Nats uniform would ever drop below $10. Anyone who thinks this will be a $2-$4 card is nuts. Whose gonna buy his USA for $50 when they can have his 2011 for $4? Nobody, because his 2011 will never be $4!!
Old 05-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
i like the comment in bold

Quote:
wow, another ignorant comment. seems like we're getting more & more of these types that absolutely have no idea what they are talking about.

Last edited by festus; 05-21-2011 at 12:36 PM.
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Nah, I've only opened a fraction of what some people bust on here (2 Jumbo boxes, 30 rack packs, and 3 blasters). In total, I have pulled one Harper Chrome and 2 Harper base - so no, not an easy pull either way.

I'd also like to point out that NONE of my Harpers were pulled from the 2 Jumbo boxes I got. Those were a total waste of $400.00.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

lol I bought two hobby box and I pulled 2 chrome a 2 regular...
nflfans4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Same thing happened with Stras last year, what's the difference? Personally I'm holding onto my Chromes. When Strasburg made his debut they basically doubled in price from when they first came out.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizz View Post
Same thing happened with Stras last year, what's the difference? Personally I'm holding onto my Chromes. When Strasburg made his debut they basically doubled in price from when they first came out.
This is definitely true, but Harper's major league debut won't be for at least another year

Prices continue to drop:

Chromes selling as low as $12.50 now

2011 BOWMAN CHROME BRYCE HARPER!!! | eBay

Base under $7

2011 Bowman Bryce Harper R/C #BP1 | eBay
Old 05-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
You are actually making our point with this comment. His 2010 Chrome card is selling for $35-$50 one year after the product was released. Tough to believe his first card in a Nats uniform would ever drop below $10. Anyone who thinks this will be a $2-$4 card is nuts. Whose gonna buy his USA for $50 when they can have his 2011 for $4? Nobody, because his 2011 will never be $4!!
I'm not saying his 2011 will be less than $10, but that quote is a little silly. It's like saying "who'd buy a 1993 SP Jeter for $100 when his 1994 is $5?". Maybe because it's his rookie card. The 2010 Harper will always be his first chrome card/"rookie". The 2011 will always be his second year card.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
^^^this! i dont get it either. i collect mainly basketball and i dont understand how his cards are a good investment right now. HOWEVER, i guess i can understand if ppl are collecting his cards just to have in their collection, but if that's teh case, then why not wait until the price (inevitably) drops a lil
Old 05-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to whywhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackAttack419 View Post
^^^this! i dont get it either. i collect mainly basketball and i dont understand how his cards are a good investment right now. HOWEVER, i guess i can understand if ppl are collecting his cards just to have in their collection, but if that's teh case, then why not wait until the price (inevitably) drops a lil
yes the price will drop a little, but it all depends whether or not he gets called up (he will if he keeps doing what hes been doing) and what he does then, this card will go up if he does well and go down if he doesn't, and people think he will do well so that is why people are buying and if there is a demand than the price will be and stay high.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not saying his 2011 will be less than $10, but that quote is a little silly. It's like saying "who'd buy a 1993 SP Jeter for $100 when his 1994 is $5?". Maybe because it's his rookie card. The 2010 Harper will always be his first chrome card/"rookie". The 2011 will always be his second year card.
What do people not understand about this...its the same with 1985 McGwire cards --- they are his rookie cards, regardless of whether or not he is in an A's uniform.
brockw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockw82 View Post
What do people not understand about this...its the same with 1985 McGwire cards --- they are his rookie cards, regardless of whether or not he is in an A's uniform.
This is debatable all around because Topps is pumping out Team USA cards like they're nothing and I stopped considering these to be "rookies". This year's draft class was the most exploited and I hate to think their debut cards with the team who drafted them would ever be considered their second year card. Especially with the 16 and under set. If Alex Bregman gets drafted in 3 years by the A's would that be considered his 4th year card? Give me a break. And when Topps Chrome releases it's Bryce Harper rookie in 2 years what will that be considered?

IMO, a player should have to be drafted before his official rookie cards come out. If they are still in high school or college, it should not be called their rookie card.

Last edited by auctionjmm; 05-21-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
This is debatable all around because Topps is pumping out Team USA cards like they're nothing and I stopped considering these to be "rookies". This year's draft class was the most exploited and I hate to think their debut cards with the team who drafted them would ever be considered their second year card. Especially with the 16 and under set. If Alex Bregman gets drafted in 3 years by the A's would that be considered his 4th year card? Give me a break. And when Topps Chrome releases it's Bryce Harper rookie in 2 years what will that be considered?
I tend to agree. The USA boxed sets and pack-inserted parallels have not been embraced by the hobby as RCs in the past. They seem to be akin to XRCs and I think the 2010 Harper USA card will be treated the same way. It may still be more valuable long term, but I don't think it will be considered to be his RC by most within the hobby.
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #25 (permalink)

What do you consider McGwire's rookie to be? The USA card was issued 2 years before his debut.
brockw82 is offline   Reply With Quote