Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default No love for J.D. Martinez?

I've noticed very little market value for J.D. Martinez autos in Platinum or this year's Bowman (his only Topps autos as far as I know). The dude is batting .342 in 3 minor league seasons, hits for power, strikes out half as much as Paul Goldschmidt, and yet his base autos can be had for $6-$8. Why is it that certain players just don't get love from collectors even when their performance has earned it?
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah I dont understand this either. I pulled a ref of his and looked up his stats and it makes no sense. How can someone doing this well go under the radar? My only guess is because the major prospecting outlets dont list him high on their list as potential guys to make it in the big leagues?? It seems like some guys make the hype train and others dont.....
jauncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Maybe when he gets the call and performs well in the bigs people will be all over him and his values will raise. Time to invest now!
mikecancelliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

The problem with him is that he wasn't drafted high at all (20th round) - that doesn't suggest that his performance is a fluke or anything necessarily of course - but he missed the draft hype train and so people are always going to be more skeptical on a guy like that until he proves he's as good as his numbers are at the very highest level.

I think you can disregard his minor league numbers from the NYP and SAL leagues to a large degree because he was at least 2 years older than the competition he faced then.

He's more age appropriate now in Double A and is doing very well. If he keeps that up, I think prices will start to rise.
patientgambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Of the 4 baseball scouting websites that I read, I have read only one of them that even considers Paul Goldschmidt a prospect but all of them have J.D. Martinez as a top 10 prospect. Although one of them is more of a draft/mariners only website. I don't get the love for Goldschmit at all besides the fact that he has a lot of raw power because he has a lot of holes in his swing and has problems with better offspeed stuff. I personally don't know much about either one but a lot of times age/league/performance are all taken into consideration. If someone is considered old for the league or is repeating a level those types of things are generally counted against players and contributes toward their "lack of love". Now, like I said I don't really know much about either one so I couldn't tell you what it is directly related to. Other than the fact that Baseball America, Keith Law of ESPN, Prospect Insider don't consider Goldschmidt a legit prospect but Baseball Intellect does I don't know why he gets all the love. Martinez is considered a legit top 10 by all websites, I guess the other thing to consider is the fact that he plays for the Astros which might hurt is value in that sense because I don't know that the Astros have a HUGE following.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

half the people who buy cards no nothing about baseball..... card buying/prices have very little to do with how good people actually are or will be... it's all about hype/advertisement surrounding them.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Chicks dig the longball.
My Recent Top Hits-2011 BDP Mike Trout Superfractor #1/1, 2011 BDP Dante Bichette red #1/1, 2011 BDP Archie Bradley Purple Ref Auto /10, 2011 Tier One Manny Pacquiao Autograph, 2011 Tier One Eric Hosmer/Billy Butler Dual Auto /25, 2011 Elite Namath/Starr Passing The Torch Dual Auto
Highlander23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Highlander23 said it best. J.D. had 3 homers last year and has 3 this year, but Goldschmidt had 35 last year and already has 15 this year. They are both good players batting well above .300 with more walks than strikeouts and both are 23, but because of the power and probably because of his name Goldschmidt has more appeal.
georgewashinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Jedd Gyorko (sp?) is another guy who has disappointing prices. He's #1 on the BA hot list this week and his base autos in '11 Bowman can be had for ~$10.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajshack View Post
Jedd Gyorko (sp?) is another guy who has disappointing prices. He's #1 on the BA hot list this week and his base autos in '11 Bowman can be had for ~$10.
When the prospect auto checklist came out I made a list of about 10 of the players who were hitting or pitching very well in the minors and I think 7 of those guys can be had for under $10. It's a good time for prospecting if you have the money to sit on them for awhile.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think it is because Topps overloaded Bowman Platinum with J.D. Martinez autos from those bonus redemption autos. There are people on here who redeemed 14 of those and I think 8 or 9 came back as J.D. Martinez autos