Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #26 (permalink)

I did not try calling the seller. I don't have his number unless the only way to get his number is by asking him personally. A BIG reason I'm very skeptic is b/c he just sold a 2011 TTT 9 box case for $980 which sounds "to good to be true". Thats when i started to worry. All I asked for was the confirmation number each time he said he "would provide one" and these were his responses(I'll let you be the judge)

May 16th- The Jumbo Hobby is being released Wed the 18th. You should have within 5 business days of the 18th. I will have tracking numbers wed evening, thankx again for bidding!!!!

May 19th-I will have it this evening after I get home from work, I am at work and will be shipping this afternoon

May 21st(in the morning)-Yes I am shipping today, will upload tracking # this evening, sorry again for the delay

May 21st(in the evening)-Look I understand the frustration, but I cannot email You a # until I get them, they were shipped from My dis. OK. Please be a little more patient, I know, I would be the same way!!!

So with that said, he keeps telling me he is going to ship them and all of a sudden they were shipped from his distributor. Does this spell scam or what. Like I said before, everything was legit until I saw the last pre-sale on the TTT and then these emails.
spencer2986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #27 (permalink)

get seller's phone number this way:

eBay Search: Advanced Search

looks like he may jacking you around a bit which would make him a b.s'er but doesnt necessarily make him a scammer. at least he's replying back to you so i wouldnt freak out just yet. you may very well get your case. worst case you get your money back...

Last edited by festus; 05-22-2011 at 05:15 PM.
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer2986 View Post
So I bought some 2011 Bowman Jumbo cases on eBay from a "trusted" seller who REALLY looked legit. Sadly it's over the 45 days for the paypal protection. I keep asking the seller for a tracking number and he keeps saying hes gonna ship it, hes gonna ship it and so on.

ANY way I can get my money back? I'm hoping that the emails from him will help with my case so they can see that he never provided a tracking number AND he has yet to ship and keeps making excuses. LMK all of your thoughts, highly appreciated, thanks!

O BTW, he just sold a 9 box case of 2011 TTT for $979 so if that was one of your guys' cases...GET YOUR MONEY BACK ASAP!
I don't know how many of you guys have file a claim after 45 days but paypal DO NOT CARE after 45 days. Sorry man your out of luck, if it was me i would have file for a claim and you will still be given an additional week to receive the case/refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
How do you know he hasn't lied? Maybe the auction stated, "will ship within 1 week of release date", for instance.

As you are hopefully quickly learning, if the buyer does not file a claim within a set amount of time, buyer protection isn't 100% certain. If the seller keeps claiming he will ship it, but holds off past the deadline, the buyer might very well be SOL.

This is a common tactic for ebay scammers. Of course he might not be lying, but I for one would not be taking that chance. If he hasn't shipped to me within the time limit, a claim is being filed, and if all works out, I will work with him on getting the claim removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
if he told you he has yet to ship though? where is the scam? it's not like he lied to you, he just hasn't shipped your pre-order........
Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
i wouldnt go into panic mode just yet & DEMANDING a refund just 2 business days after release is actually doing the seller a favor. demand the case that shot up 700 bucks from what you paid. if it becomes evident you wont be getting the product then worry about the refund. did you try calling the seller?
I don't know where you people coming from but everyone should know that Paypal will just ignore your complain after 45 days. Since the 45 days is past due, the seller does not even have to gave your money back to you. Such only case is to get a lawyer(with proof of purchase and take them to court) or hopefully resolve it, which will make them pull you your refund. Send the seller a notice and if he does not comply, then you will have to get a lawyer to file suit.

Beware of the 45 days policy claim on ebay, and if you are not using credit card as someone already mention. You are screwed. If you do buy Pre-Order next time online/ebay, gave yourself a 45 days window along with the 7 days case claim which adds up to 52 days.. Buy pre-order one month early not on the day which it comes out(Example May 1st[paid pre-order] to Jun 15th-June 15th is product due date on the market; Do not place pre-order like that). Never buy any presale case that is coming out in 2 month, unless your buying from BO or Dacard or a legit seller. Gd luck on getting your case/refund.

Last edited by newxtigher; 05-22-2011 at 04:21 PM.
newxtigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newxtigher View Post
I don't know where you people coming from but everyone should know that Paypal will just ignore your complain after 45 days.
I don't know why you quoted me. I know the rules. That's why I posted in this thread.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
Well true it's a not a little money but if he did scam then he will be dealt with. I did notice 1 FB of his from a buyer who bought a Derrick Rose for 1,200 dollars & got positive FB. Why not take 1,200 & run instead of just 980? This is the main problem when buying pre-sell items (cases & boxes) on ebay & should only be purchased from reputable dealers like BO, DA etc....
I see what you're saying, but the reason why this particular scam works is because of the 45 days+ it takes for the product to come out. In the case of a single, a buyer would be able to recognize the scam before the buyer protection expired. Plus, he's probably a "collector" of sorts, so selling singles while running a scam, doesnt seem all that uncommon.
catcherball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
I did not try calling the seller. I don't have his number unless the only way to get his number is by asking him personally. A BIG reason I'm very skeptic is b/c he just sold a 2011 TTT 9 box case for $980 which sounds "to good to be true". Thats when i started to worry. All I asked for was the confirmation number each time he said he "would provide one" and these were his responses(I'll let you be the judge)

May 16th- The Jumbo Hobby is being released Wed the 18th. You should have within 5 business days of the 18th. I will have tracking numbers wed evening, thankx again for bidding!!!!

May 19th-I will have it this evening after I get home from work, I am at work and will be shipping this afternoon

May 21st(in the morning)-Yes I am shipping today, will upload tracking # this evening, sorry again for the delay

May 21st(in the evening)-Look I understand the frustration, but I cannot email You a # until I get them, they were shipped from My dis. OK. Please be a little more patient, I know, I would be the same way!!!

So with that said, he keeps telling me he is going to ship them and all of a sudden they were shipped from his distributor. Does this spell scam or what. Like I said before, everything was legit until I saw the last pre-sale on the TTT and then these emails.
Like said earlier, everything now is up to you and the seller to resolve the situation. Paypal no longer warrant you your 45 days claim cause it is past due. The way i look at it is, the seller might be trying to get money and get you your refund. Probably waiting for those case to sell and gave you the difference back, who knows. Alot of sellers does that, its just my opinion.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know why you quoted me. I know the rules. That's why I posted in this thread.

This is the reason why i quoted you:
"This is a common tactic for ebay scammers. Of course he might not be lying, but I for one would not be taking that chance. If he hasn't shipped to me within the time limit, a claim is being filed, and if all works out, I will work with him on getting the claim removed."

The buyer and the seller are already not in the same page. Why would you even still want to work things out with the seller?
Old 05-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #33 (permalink)

I guess will see what happens in the next couple days. As much as I would love to do something about it, I suppose that the lawyer is really my only option if all else fails and even at that, is it really worth the time/money. You live and learn and obviously I learned from this mistake that slapped my in the face. Sure it was foolish for me to purchase outside of the 45 day window but that doesn't make it right for me to get robbed. All I can say is what comes around, goes around.

Thanks to all of those who responded to this thread. I will keep this updated in case any of you are wondering the outcome.
spencer2986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newxtigher View Post
This is the reason why i quoted you:
"This is a common tactic for ebay scammers. Of course he might not be lying, but I for one would not be taking that chance. If he hasn't shipped to me within the time limit, a claim is being filed, and if all works out, I will work with him on getting the claim removed."

The buyer and the seller are already not in the same page. Why would you even still want to work things out with the seller?
Regarding what I would do in order to file a claim was stating a hypothetical situation for future reference. It was not a direct reference to the situation at hand.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #35 (permalink)

wow, this stuff has been released a couple days back & theres already lawyer talk (it'd cost more for a lawyer than the case itself). theres no evidence of a scam as of yet, just "foot dragging". the fact thats he's communicating with you is huge so i'm sure one of two things will happen, you get your case or a refund.

of course you'd rather have the case instead of a refund so i'd be patient as he may be buying time to locate one for you. your 45 days are already up so waiting a few more days isnt going to hurt. if it turns out you come up empty handed i'm sure letting the seller know youre contacting his local police will spook him enough to refund you.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #36 (permalink)

Everyone is missing the point here. HE IS SELLING TRIPLE THREADS WELL BELOW COST! There's every reason in the world to be skeptical. If this was a normal eBayer dragging his feet on a shipment then no big deal, but when he's pre-selling new cases at a $400 loss per case, something is seriously wrong here.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:

in my opinion, this alone doesn't sound like a scam... it sounds like they were late arriving for him.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
How many claims have you filed after the 45 day deadline and actually received a full refund?

I'm asking because I'd like to know what you're basing these last 2 comments on.
I've dealt with this several times, I do graphic design, and people get caught up & do all types of stuff and forget about they graphics for more than 45 days then don't want to ask for they money back so they do chargebacks/claims/etc......

maybe because I was willing to give them the money back it worked out for them? but paypal did address issues several times after 45 days with me over design, which is typically even harder to deal with than an actual product.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
I've dealt with this several times, I do graphic design, and people get caught up & do all types of stuff and forget about they graphics for more than 45 days then don't want to ask for they money back so they do chargebacks/claims/etc......

maybe because I was willing to give them the money back it worked out for them? but paypal did address issues several times after 45 days with me over design, which is typically even harder to deal with than an actual product.
Paypal WON'T do anything for the buyer after 45 days........... once a chargeback is done, THEN paypal goes after the seller but not on behalf of the buyer.......... get it?

if the buyer did not use a CC to make the purchase, paypal won't do a damn thing.
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
Paypal WON'T do anything for the buyer after 45 days........... once a chargeback is done, THEN paypal goes after the seller but not on behalf of the buyer.......... get it?
not this expert of everything on the planet earth again, lol
Old 05-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
not this expert of everything on the planet earth again, lol
am i right?.........
Old 05-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
am i right?.........
no, atleast not in the cases i've dealt with...... they don't just allow people to get ripped off on a time window of 45 days, call & explain the situation, I gaurantee they fix it. he hasn't called or really done anything, the guy hasn't even said he sent it. sounds like he's clearly jumping the gun.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
no, atleast not in the cases i've dealt with...... they don't just allow people to get ripped off on a time window of 45 days, call & explain the situation, I gaurantee they fix it. he hasn't called or really done anything, the guy hasn't even said he sent it. sounds like he's clearly jumping the gun.
So what's your guarantee? You can't honestly be saying they fix it 100% of the time after the 45 day window is up, are you?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #44 (permalink)

this is directly from paypal. how can you guarantee they will fix it?:

What is PayPal Purchase Protection?

When you pay with PayPal on any website PayPal Purchase Protection covers you if you have a problem. If an item doesn’t arrive or is significantly not as described we will help you to get a full refund.

To qualify for PayPal Purchase Protection:

Use PayPal to complete your payment.
Pay for the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments aren't eligible.
Let the seller know there's a problem with the transaction by opening a dispute in the Resolution Center within 45 days of making your payment. Then, escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the date you opened the dispute.
Keep your PayPal account in good standing.

If your transaction qualifies for PayPal Purchase Protection you are covered for the full purchase price plus the original shipping charges.

You can report your problem in the PayPal Resolution Center or the eBay Resolution Center. Either way, you’ll receive the same coverage. To find out how to report a problem on eBay, go to eBay and click Resolution Center at the bottom of any page.

Please note that some purchases such as vehicles in the Motors category, intangible items, capital equipment in the Business & Industrial category, and Real Estate aren't eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection.

To learn more about PayPal Purchase Protection and to see a full list of eligibility requirements and exclusions, please review our User Agreement. You can find the User Agreement by clicking Legal Agreements at the bottom of any PayPal page

What is eBay Buyer Protection?

If you bought something on eBay but didn't receive it or you received something that's significantly not as described, eBay Buyer Protection can help.

eBay Buyer Protection covers eligible transactions for the full purchase price plus original shipping charges. Some purchases -- including vehicles in the Motors category, capital equipment in the Business & Industrial category, and Real Estate -- aren't eligible for eBay Buyer Protection.

To qualify for eBay Buyer Protection:

Purchase an eligible item on eBay using an eBay-approved payment method.
Pay for the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments aren’t eligible.
Send your payment by clicking the Pay For It button on the eBay invoice or by clicking the Pay Now button on the eBay item page.
Let the seller know there's a problem with the transaction by opening an eBay Buyer Protection Claim in the eBay Resolution Center. This must be done within 45 days of the payment date. You can report your problem through the eBay Resolution Center or the PayPal Resolution Center, not both. If eBay decides that you’re eligible for a refund, the money will be credited to your PayPal account.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
no, atleast not in the cases i've dealt with......
what kind of cases?........as a buyer or a seller?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
am i right?.........
you are right he is more than wrong.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #47 (permalink)

paypal frowns on chargbacks because they are stuck holding the bag. cc will yank the funds back to the buyer & paypal can only hope they can recover funds from seller. thats why paypal encourages NON credit card payments. whether the buyer gets screwed or the seller it makes no difference to paypal.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin9900 View Post
if you paid with your credit card thru paypal you can go thru your credit card company and get them to refund it if you can prove he still has not delivered when he should have.
I see this often discussed as an option. How do you do this if you have a paypal balance. When I click PAY on ebay it takes me to my logon but always draws from my account before allowing me to select another funding option like a CC. How do you pay with a CC if you have a paypal balanace?
fishacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishacura View Post
How do you pay with a CC if you have a paypal balanace?
withdraw your funds then pay with cc
Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
withdraw your funds then pay with cc
Exactly. I really don't understand why people leave money with Paypal anyway. Withdraw your money. Pay with a credit card. Use the money you withdrew to pay your cc. Watch your credit climb higher, and all is well.