Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pre-order Bowman Case Scam :(

So I bought some 2011 Bowman Jumbo cases on eBay from a "trusted" seller who REALLY looked legit. Sadly it's over the 45 days for the paypal protection. I keep asking the seller for a tracking number and he keeps saying hes gonna ship it, hes gonna ship it and so on.

ANY way I can get my money back? I'm hoping that the emails from him will help with my case so they can see that he never provided a tracking number AND he has yet to ship and keeps making excuses. LMK all of your thoughts, highly appreciated, thanks!

O BTW, he just sold a 9 box case of 2011 TTT for $979 so if that was one of your guys' cases...GET YOUR MONEY BACK ASAP!
spencer2986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

what is the seller name?
TheHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

2011 Topps Triple Threads Baseball 9 BOX Hobby Case | eBay
Old 05-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dustin9900 Send a message via Yahoo to dustin9900

if you paid with your credit card thru paypal you can go thru your credit card company and get them to refund it if you can prove he still has not delivered when he should have.
dustin9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dustin9900 Send a message via Yahoo to dustin9900

and please tell me you didn't already leave feedback for something you never received?
2011 Bowman Jumbo Hobby 8 Box Case Bryce Harper RC HTA | eBay
dustin9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you have his/her personal info from Paypal, you can send that info to HIS local police department. I had a scammer take my money, skip on shipping the high dollar card, and me and a few other people on this board had to go to great lengths to get our money back. I had his local PD hounding him until he finally refunded me my money. Weeeellllll past any Ebay or Paypal dates.

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think it was all with paypal. I sold a bunch of stuff before buying from him and had just enough to cover all the amount. Would eBay/Paypal still help my out or am I pretty much SOL? Like I said I have the messages from him saying he HAS YET TO SHIP and PROVIDE A TRACKING NUMBER...so can I still cancel the transaction to get my money back if I call up eBay and explain to them the situation.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

A guy selling cases below-cost is considered "really legit"? Grasshopper is one of the new Mamabears who surfaced recently with TTT well below cost. Definitely another scam. Tough to say what action you can take to get your money back. If you paid with a credit card you can file a chargeback. If not, small claims court is always an option if it is cost effective. I don't know much about that.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin9900 View Post
and please tell me you didn't already leave feedback for something you never received?
2011 Bowman Jumbo Hobby 8 Box Case Bryce Harper RC HTA | eBay
No that wasn't me. I'm trying to contact the guys who bought his cases around the same time as me.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

if you didn't receive the item they have buyer protection, file a case and you will easily get your money back, you don't have to do anything, he has to provide info about tracking etc to keep the money. it's extremely simple to get your money back in these situations, it's crazy to me that people don't know that? I guess that's how they get away with the scam?
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ryan T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
if you didn't receive the item they have buyer protection, file a case and you will easily get your money back, you don't have to do anything, he has to provide info about tracking etc to keep the money. it's extremely simple to get your money back in these situations, it's crazy to me that people don't know that? I guess that's how they get away with the scam?
Of course he knows that, he says in his first post it's been over 45 days. Buyer protection does expire.
Ryan T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
A guy selling cases below-cost is considered "really legit"? Grasshopper is one of the new Mamabears who surfaced recently with TTT well below cost. Definitely another scam. Tough to say what action you can take to get your money back. If you paid with a credit card you can file a chargeback. If not, small claims court is always an option if it is cost effective. I don't know much about that.
I agree on the CC chargeback but why would a seller with picture perfect feedback try to scam anyone? Just not sure why someone would tarnish their 100% feedback for a little money!!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Because its a hit and run and $1000 per transaction is not a "little" money. I have a feeling its the same people running the same scam over and over.
Its really easy to build an account with 200 or so perfect transactions.
dhcollecting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcollecting View Post
Because its a hit and run and $1000 per transaction is not a "little" money. I have a feeling its the same people running the same scam over and over.
Its really easy to build an account with 200 or so perfect transactions.
Well true it's a not a little money but if he did scam then he will be dealt with. I did notice 1 FB of his from a buyer who bought a Derrick Rose for 1,200 dollars & got positive FB. Why not take 1,200 & run instead of just 980? This is the main problem when buying pre-sell items (cases & boxes) on ebay & should only be purchased from reputable dealers like BO, DA etc....
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Please stop putting people down when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, try knowing at least some of the "facts" before handing out advice.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

if he told you he has yet to ship though? where is the scam? it's not like he lied to you, he just hasn't shipped your pre-order........
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Old 05-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Please stop putting people down when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, try knowing at least some of the "facts" before handing out advice.
aren't the methods to get your money back obvious though? I mean I would be doing that first before I did any board posts.... I would be on the phone with the credit card company, paypal, ebay all of them.

I didn't put anyone down... I said "it's crazy to me". how is that putting someone down.....

I feel a certain way and that's putting someone down?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
if he told you he has yet to ship though? where is the scam? it's not like he lied to you, he just hasn't shipped your pre-order........
How do you know he hasn't lied? Maybe the auction stated, "will ship within 1 week of release date", for instance.

As you are hopefully quickly learning, if the buyer does not file a claim within a set amount of time, buyer protection isn't 100% certain. If the seller keeps claiming he will ship it, but holds off past the deadline, the buyer might very well be SOL.

This is a common tactic for ebay scammers. Of course he might not be lying, but I for one would not be taking that chance. If he hasn't shipped to me within the time limit, a claim is being filed, and if all works out, I will work with him on getting the claim removed.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
aren't the methods to get your money back obvious though?
No, they aren't obvious to everyone, unfortunately.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

because you can read his auctions and they don't say that..........

I just feel like? some peoples shipments were cut back? might be late? or whatever the case may be, it JUST RELEASED.... and he contacted the guy and he replied back is hasn't been sent yet? it's not like he lied, he told him is "HASN'T BEEN SHIPPED".

people just got they stuff in this week, and this guy ordered the cases, so he would first have to receive them, then reship them, it's not unlikely that situation could take a few days/a week.

the guy may or may not be a scammer? I don't really know, but he's an ebay seller, not a reputable dealer, so it's not like he couldn't have been late with things.

and if the buyer feels like that's not acceptable, contact the seller, tell him your filing a claim, file the claim and get your money back.....

ebay will honor buyer protection on this..... they are very good about honoring claims when you haven't received anything.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
and if the buyer feels like that's not acceptable, contact the seller, tell him your filing a claim, file the claim and get your money back.....

ebay will honor buyer protection on this..... they are very good about honoring claims when you haven't received anything.
How many claims have you filed after the 45 day deadline and actually received a full refund?

I'm asking because I'd like to know what you're basing these last 2 comments on.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

I just wouldnt buy a PreOrder off ebay that is further out. Than the PP protection time. Or stick to BO. You may not lock in those super low scam prices, but pay a little more for the security of knowing your cards will come. IMHO
AZDbacksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
aren't the methods to get your money back obvious though? I mean I would be doing that first before I did any board posts.... I would be on the phone with the credit card company, paypal, ebay all of them.

I didn't put anyone down... I said "it's crazy to me". how is that putting someone down.....

I feel a certain way and that's putting someone down?
Speaking of obvious, it appears obvious you like to give advice and criticize when you appear to be unable to comprehend the writing of the OP. Have you taken the time to read the OPs post stating he SOLD items in Paypal to pay for the case? How is he going to get money back from a CC company when he DIDNT PAY BY CC? Isnt it "obvious" he cant use a CC company that he didnt pay with? Many police departments consider this a civil issue, so you wont have luck with them. While MANY of us know not to buy presells on eBay, some people still do. It happens.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
795 for a jumbo case is not below cost
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #25 (permalink)

i wouldnt go into panic mode just yet & DEMANDING a refund just 2 business days after release is actually doing the seller a favor. demand the case that shot up 700 bucks from what you paid. if it becomes evident you wont be getting the product then worry about the refund. did you try calling the seller?
festus is offline   Reply With Quote