Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Miguel Sano...tough one

I have a couple nice #d Miguel Sano autos but he's a prospect I know very little about other than a few articles. Anyone more familiar with him who wouldn't mind providing an opinion? I'm getting to the point where I am buying players I know/like and he's one I don't know too much about so these sales could fund a nice purchase. However, if people are really high on him I might consider holding. Nothing's for certain obviously but is he one people talk about more than others or is he simply another prospect?
fishacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Heres some good info on him

Top 15 Prospects - #3 Miguel Sano | February

I'd sell if you can get a good dollar for his stuff right now, eventhough he is the #3 prospect in the organization you have to keep in your mind realistically how often do these guys make it to the bigs, and once they are there even have a successful career? Sell them and make a nice PC purchase!
2012 Absolute Russel Wilson NFL JSY Auto /299
Laxbam619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've read a lot on Sano and he has all the tools to be a great baseball player. In 2009 had he been in the draft he would have been in contention for the #1 overall pick. His primary position is shortstop but I don't know anybody who thinks he's going to be able to stay there and they are planning on moving him to 3rd base and it really depends on his footwork if he can stay there long term. His bat profiles to play anywhere on the field though and he has great raw power. Aaron Hicks & Kyle Gibson are ranked ahead of him by most in the Twins organization but not by much. I'd say he is definitely worth holding on to.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Praise seems to be unanimous for him. I remember reading Kevin Goldstein saying he could be a #3 hitter on a championship caliber team, all of the BA guys being high on him, and Law thinks he could be a star.

The problem right now is that he's still barely played, despite being signed in '09. He just turned 18 a couple of days ago. Plus, the Twins are notoriously slow with their prospects, so if you want to invest into him, it might be awhile. Unless he's really, really, really good. Which he may be.

Here's what Baseball America's Ben Badler had to say in a RiverAveBlues interview back in '09:

"Sano will get a lot of money, and the latest rumblings from Latin America is that his bonus could be comparable to or possibly surpass the $4.25 million the A’s gave Michael Ynoa last year. With any 16-year-old player from Latin America, you’re going to get divergent opinions from scouts because of how young the players are and because of the context in which they have to be scouted. But I’ve had several international scouting directors tell me that Sano is one of the best prospects they have ever seen from Latin America. If the economy was better, he’d break Ynoa’s bonus record easily. There are teams that would sign him for $2 million, $2.5 million, but since the bidding is going to be much higher than that, they’ve just dropped out of the race and reallocated their resources to scouting other players. His body, his swing, his power, his athleticism and his arm are all highly advanced for his age, so he has monster upside. There are teams that have scouted Sano since he was 14 years old, but there’s risk involved with any 16-year-old prospect, especially one from Latin America."

July 2nd Signing Period Q&A with Ben Badler | River Avenue Blues

He ended up signing for a bit less than expected because age concerns became a question. They seem to be have been unfounded, though.
patientgambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Everyone is pretty high on him. Locally, in Minnesota, the majority of the known Twins beat writers and such believe he will be the future first baseman. A couple of them having watched him the little bit they have, have said it's liking watching a man child.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

he is only 17 so there is tons of room to grow
boxbreaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, I guess I can list it for a high price and if it doesn't sell no big deal. Thanks for the input!
fishacura is offline   Reply With Quote