Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Here's what the guy responded:then take them out of the holders and put them in new ones. they've been on those holders since being taken out of the packs (not only the top-loaders but the penny sleeves). i sold you the cards, not the holders. there's no way there's any smell to the cards (and i don't recall advertising that the cards were from a smoke-free environment)

So am I the only one then that assumes that cards are from a smoke-free house if nothing is listed, since many more sellers do not smoke in their house, and it's the first time I've had problems with smoke on the cards? I told him I already threw out all of the toploaders and the cards still smell.
I don't think a seller needs to put that they smoke in their auction, and if you just leave them alone for a few days, maybe light a candle near them for a while, as someone suggested, the smell will go away. Now go get some real problems besides the smell of cardboard.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

take the cards out of their holders, put them in a box and spray some ozium in it and let it sit for while...no way they smell after that
dmogull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #28 (permalink)

99.9% of the auctions don't mention anything about smoking. I've seen a few that say that but it's very rare to see that. Bottom line is that you got what you paid for & the condition of the cards was correct. There is a smell, but that's not something you should leave a negative for. Yes, it might be unpleasant, but it's not something that the seller should get killed for.
bled11qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

-For car fabrics/upholstery, roasted coffee beans, vinegar baths, and elbow grease work great. But we can't scrub the cards with vinegar, so...

Take the cards out of holders and leave them in a small enclosed area for a bit. If at all possible, enclosed them in an area with unground/grinded coffee beans, preferably with an air conditioner running at regular intervals for a few days. You are aiming at conditioning the fibers of the cardboard to remove the odor, no small task without actually touching the fibers with a cleaning solution.

Vinegar only works for aromas, it doesn't necessarily infuse the fiber, as most stationary air circulators will prove ineffective. After the quarantine, place in new holders/get graded for sealed conditioning which hopefully masks the odor.

Good luck.

lobo_hacker

Last edited by lobo_hacker; 06-03-2011 at 11:05 PM.
lobo_hacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's what the guy responded:then take them out of the holders and put them in new ones. they've been on those holders since being taken out of the packs (not only the top-loaders but the penny sleeves). i sold you the cards, not the holders. there's no way there's any smell to the cards (and i don't recall advertising that the cards were from a smoke-free environment)

So am I the only one then that assumes that cards are from a smoke-free house if nothing is listed, since many more sellers do not smoke in their house, and it's the first time I've had problems with smoke on the cards? I told him I already threw out all of the toploaders and the cards still smell.
At least he didn't make an excuse, like "I'm a fireman by day and I apologize but I must have had the mailer in my pocket the other day when I was rescuing a family of five from a burning building." Got to love an honest seller
schillercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
I do believe the ultimate solution here is to not smell your cards. Just because you have the sense of smell, doens't mean you have to use it on everything.

Oh look dog poop. Sniff Sniff, ewwww.

Hey look a homeless man. Sniff Sniff, blech.

Oh look my old underwear. Sniff Sniff, hmmmmm, I might need an ointment.
Funniest post I've read in a while!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #32 (permalink)

I currently make my living buying things at second hand shops and reselling them on Ebay. I have done a lot of research into removing smoke smells.

The only real way to do it is get a Ozone Generator. They are very expensive. Most Laundromats have one and if you have a good relationship with one they might help you out. I Have known people to make arrangements with their local Laundry to clean books.

Without going broke the next best option is to put the item in an airtight container (rubbermaid) with a few dryer sheets. Takes 1-3 weeks but reduces the smoke smell. The dryer sheets smell fads over the next week.

You have to do it on a small scale. You can't shove 6000 cards in a 18 quart rubbermaid container and expect it to work. 2 - 3 Quart size with cards spread out as much as possible.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Took the cards out of the sleeves and toploaders, and they still smell of heavy smoke. Would baking soda help get rid of the smell? Still tempted to leave a negative, unacceptable to not put in the auction that the cards come from a heavy smoking house
No, no, no. Take them out of the toplaoders and throw toploaders away. stack cards in a big enough box with a lid to cover them. Put 1 dryer sheet in the box. Leave for a day or so. You can also cut a hole in both sides of the box, and place the dryer sheet in and put a box fan on low to blow genly throught the box. I wouldnt neg the guy because he smokes. That method should work though.
warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
I don't think a seller needs to put that they smoke in their auction, and if you just leave them alone for a few days, maybe light a candle near them for a while, as someone suggested, the smell will go away. Now go get some real problems besides the smell of cardboard.
I think the seller DOES...if the products he is selling smell like smoke then it is a problem. The buyer should receive their product in the condition they were opened, if there is ANY deviation to this, it needs to be listed in the description and this includes smelling differently. I am saying this from a seller's standpoint, 90% of my feedback on ebay is from selling and I can assure you I list anything that is different with the card, if I received these cards I would be very unhappy. It actually bothers me what the seller wrote to you about this, he didn't say they were from a smoke-free home? WTH?? How about he put his cards in a air-tight container so no one has to smell the nastiness that's coming from his home.
TOMBB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #35 (permalink)
mik

Default them there thats

That method that solves that problem, I would not thought of that. That, that is said multiple times, gets that point across.

that is bad grammar, and makes that hard to read.

I collect Frank Thomas, Chris Sale, Mark Grace, and Matt Kemp.

here's my bucket: http://s1121.photobucket.com/home/mcmikmac/index
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep View Post
If you just went ahead and started smoking, you won't be able to smell it after a few weeks

I love this post
preakness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad97 View Post
You can make it better but you will never get rid of the smell completely. Smoke gets everywhere when someone actually smokes inside their home. Nothing can be done to prevent this either, never understood why smokers would want to smoke inside, why they would want to destroy their house like that and everything that is inside it. Sorry to hear it man, its a shame that people dont take care of their stuff better than that.
The last I heard this is a free country and as a home owner I can do whatever I want in my house. I am smoking right now in my living room watching the Stanley Cup Finals. I can't stand the smell of cologne or perfume but I don't bitch about it. I am a recovering alcoholic and just the smell of a beer makes me sick but then again I don't bitch about it. Yes smoking is a bad habit but the booze almost killed me more than once. I can't give both up. I keep my non pc cards in monster boxes in the attic, my pc is kept in my office in a very large fire proof safe and all the wax I open I open at my store were I can't smoke. Anything that goes on the bay stays at the store were I list them and ship them from. If the smoke smell bothers you that much then just send a simple question and ask if they are in a smoke free environment.
BloHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloHockeyNut View Post
The last I heard this is a free country and as a home owner I can do whatever I want in my house. I am smoking right now in my living room watching the Stanley Cup Finals. I can't stand the smell of cologne or perfume but I don't bitch about it. I am a recovering alcoholic and just the smell of a beer makes me sick but then again I don't bitch about it. Yes smoking is a bad habit but the booze almost killed me more than once. I can't give both up. I keep my non pc cards in monster boxes in the attic, my pc is kept in my office in a very large fire proof safe and all the wax I open I open at my store were I can't smoke. Anything that goes on the bay stays at the store were I list them and ship them from. If the smoke smell bothers you that much then just send a simple question and ask if they are in a smoke free environment.
You shouldn't have to ask that every time, you should be able to assume if they didn't list anything
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
You shouldn't have to ask that every time, you should be able to assume if they didn't list anything

ASSUME. Lets break that word down. ASS U not me.
BloHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #40 (permalink)

smokers will never understand that to nonsmokers, the stench is very offensive. if I'm buying cards, I certainly shouldnt have to deodorize them.
mainerunr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
I don't know about this. In terms of feedback, I'm not sure what you should leave. I don't think a neutral/negative is in order but maybe a ding on the item as described? You could always send them a message saying the next person might not be as nice or maybe they shouldn't be smoking around their cards?
If it is important to you, it is important to someone else. I always advertise my toys as "Comes from a smoke free home" and have gotten business solely off of that. I don't smoke and nobody in my house does. I would ding him on stars for items not described and note it in the feedback. Out of generosity I would not leave a neg or neutral. The cards go to you as described, just not smelling appropriately as you would like. Of course, please contact the seller and let him know before you do that. He might not know his smoking habit makes a mess out of someone else's collections. It might motivate the seller to quit smoking. I wouldn't be to preachy about it though. That doesn't go very far.
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #42 (permalink)

I have had this issue many times. I took the cards out of the tl and sleeve put them between two blanks or fillers. Change the blanks or filler card once or twice and that seems to work.

I agree when I see a pile of dog crap I don't go over and sniff it. I also don't pick it up, bring it home and put it in a toploader.

For those of us that don't smoke or are allergic to it, cigarette smoke is so nasty and offensive that we can't not notice it.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #43 (permalink)

If I sell a card and don't mention that it has water damage is it OK because as a human I have the right to drink water. No, that would be stupid. The same goes for smoke. Just because someone smokes does not mean that the cards they sell will smell like smoke. I know plenty of smokers that take excellent care of their cards and they do not smell like smoke.

This is not a right to smoke issue this is a simple seller being honest with a buyer issue. If the seller made an honest mistake and didn't realize the cards smelt of smoke then they should should do the right thing and work out a solution with the buyer.
DodgyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #44 (permalink)

Not a baseball card but I won this auction where the guy says in the listing that he smokes and has pets. Wonder how these will be lol.

JAMES STARKS 2010 ABSOLUTE SILVER SPECTRUM RC 41/50 | eBay

Collection Bucket: http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/dachman/James%20Starks%20PC/
Busting Packs PC Profile: http://www.bustingpacks.com/pc-profile/james-starks
dachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Took the cards out of the sleeves and toploaders, and they still smell of heavy smoke. Would baking soda help get rid of the smell? Still tempted to leave a negative, unacceptable to not put in the auction that the cards come from a heavy smoking house
I just don't get why it would make a diffence one way or the other...... It's not like we are eating the cards or they are being handled by an infant..... You have the card you want, for whatever reasons...... Be happy you have it and move on.... Absolutely no need to leave negative feedback because of it....
Old 08-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #46 (permalink)

Do you smoke?
Swipe79 is offline   Reply With Quote