Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2008 Product of the year

With the year ending and (almost) all 2008 released, I thought it would be a good idea to see what the product of the year was.

What was your's?

Mine hands down was UD Goudey. I ended up opening 3 cases total. The inserts, parallels, and SP's came often and sold very well. The 1 auto per box and only 1 GU per box was nice, it wasn't a typical UD product that jacks the price only to have a pile of $1 jerseys. The Yankee Stadium Legacy cards were also plentiful selling nicely. The Sport Royalty cards also did very well along with averaging 2-3 SR autos per case. I sold everything from those 3 cases and netted around $300 with no major hits except for the Ken Griffey Jr. auto that sold for $450. I didn't get one single Tiger Woods card out of all that either, they sold very well.

If next year's Goudey is the same as this year, I'm buying up as many cases as I can.

Last edited by Jiggs; 12-24-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Im gonna have to go with Bowman Draft. This is primarily based on the fact that this is what i busted the most of. Busted a few already and have a case coming tomorrow also.
Also, when you have such a small checklist as it did with 50% of the autos being a "box maker" then it is definatly a great buy; especially for only $60 a pop.
sportzluvr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

From strictly a collector's standpoint, I don't resell anything, I'd have to say my favorite product for 2008 was Just Minors Jersey Edition. Topps and Upper Deck totally missed the "WOW" factor in any of their releases, although I may have my Sterling before the year is out and it may change my mind. When the most hype out of baseball cards was over a bunch of Presidential nominees, the year was pretty much a bust...
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

i was in love with Moments & Milestones.......( i wish Topps would do a FB version)........it sold extremely well. i can't wait for 2009 M&M to get here.

1. Moments & Milestones
2. Bowman Draft
3. Bowman
4. Prime Cuts (too early to tell)
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
i was in love with Moments & Milestones.......( i wish Topps would do a FB version)........it sold extremely well. i can't wait for 2009 M&M to get here.

1. Moments & Milestones
2. Bowman Draft
3. Bowman
4. Prime Cuts (too early to tell)
Thats the only reason why that wasnt #1 on my list. From what ive seen, this stuff packs quite a punch.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have to go with bowman draft. Great auto checklist and plus the base set has alot of second rounders who knows what they will do.
S.Gallagherfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
ter

I think any discussion on product of the year would have to include Topps Heritage.
Set builders love it. Enough but not too many parallels. Good on card autographs. Low/average price point.
ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

1. Moments & Milestones
Moments and Milestones is quite possibly the worst product ever released. Its just out there for people who havent pulled a 1/1 and want to collect sets from a player's meaningless 2007 stats. Its ugly, it has no hobby value, and I couldnt endorse busting even a pack.

This year has been a very down year for Baseball IMO, and I think I have to give the POY to the Bowman products. The design was awesome this year.

My Teddy Bridgewater Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/teddy-bridgewater
deltapi1049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltapi1049 View Post
Moments and Milestones is quite possibly the worst product ever released. Its just out there for people who havent pulled a 1/1 and want to collect sets from a player's meaningless 2007 stats. Its ugly, it has no hobby value, and I couldnt endorse busting even a pack.

This year has been a very down year for Baseball IMO, and I think I have to give the POY to the Bowman products. The design was awesome this year.
the resale value per box blew away any other product that was released this year (& last year too).......that to me is a good indication that it does have hobby value.

maybe there should be two categories to this question.
1. collectability
2. profitability

1. for me, i could care less about collectibility. i try to turn a profit when breaking cases......

2. M&M was by far the best money maker this year without having huge hits.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
the resale value per box blew away any other product that was released this year (& last year too).......that to me is a good indication that it does have hobby value.

maybe there should be two categories to this question.
1. collectability
2. profitability

1. for me, i could care less about collectibility. i try to turn a profit when breaking cases......

2. M&M was by far the best money maker this year without having huge hits.
You know what, you may actually be correct on resale, but I wouldnt touch this abortion with someone else's ten foot pole in terms of it being a good set.

My Teddy Bridgewater Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/teddy-bridgewater
deltapi1049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

I agree in terms of collectibility not a fan of Moments & Milestones but as a rip and flip it was solid for me in both 07 & 08 and I'm sure it will be again in 09 as player collectors seem to like it.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltapi1049 View Post
You know what, you may actually be correct on resale, but I wouldnt touch this abortion with someone else's ten foot pole in terms of it being a good set.
if it's not a good set, then why does it sell so well?....... the majority of collectors must disagree with you on "collectability".
Old 12-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

it WILL be Prime Cuts......they threw everything they had left into this thing..and these things poppin out left and right are BEAUTIFUL....2 days in and its already MUCH better looking than the gaffe that is to Be 2008 Topps Sterling...and is already re-selling better too.....and costs half the price in some places....
aronp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

I loved UD Goudey. Opened 2 cases and thoroughly enjoyed it. With 2 to 3 Sports Royalty auto's per case, 2 original Goudey's per case (I got) , SP's galore (making it a challenging set to put together) and plenty of hits per box made it a fun rip. Only product I bought more than 1 case of this year. Also the "ONLY" UD product I bought all year. Donruss Sports Legends has also been a fun rip for me.

1: UD Goudey
2: Donruss Sports Legends

Crappiest product of the year

#1 by a land slide - Bowman Chrome
chilly55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have enjoyed the Donruss Threads so far. I've had a couple decent boxes. I only just started collecting again back a few months ago after a 8 or so year hiatus.
adamondo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

too early for Topps Sterling or Prime Cuts but both look to be winners.

as for me, i got shorted on hits on almost half the Donruss products i busted this year. a shame too, because they put out some good stuff. Bowman Draft was solid as usual, though the lack of a lot of the first rounders thanks to Razor hurt. Triple Threads was good for me, although the price point prevents me from making it top dog. As for UD, i liked A Piece of History because it was cheap and had some cool hits. And Ballpark Collection was good to me but probably not the best for flipping. their best product though would have to be Goudey. good mix of autos and parallels. oh, and the USA National Team set was a cheap and fun break. 7 autos per box! personally, i vote like this:

1. Goudey
2. USA National Team set
3. Bowman Draft
screamingdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

I did pretty well with Premier and Triple Threads.

My Premier pulls were a Koufax auto, triple auto /20 of Jeter, Yogi Bera, R. Jackson and a quad auto /15 of Nolan Ryan, Clemens, Verlander, Weaver. I really like their patch cards to.

My Triple Thread pulls I posted earlier but.....Dimaggio 6-piece and and a Manlte 6-piece were the favorites.

My case of Goudey was just ok. Pulled 3 SR autos......Matt Biondi, Joyner-Kearsey and Kerri Walsh.

I also opened Bowmans Best, Sp A, Black, Ballpark Coll. Threads, Co-Sigs. (pulled the A-Rod, Wright, Howard tri-signers) and a few more products but can think of them off the top of my head. Aside from the tri-signers card none of the above were to great (2008 Co-Signers really sucked).

All the products I listed were a combination of 2007 and 2008 products but I did open them in the 2008 calendar year. Take it for what its worth I guess.

I still have a case a Prime Cuts on the way and I can see that being one of my favorites also.
fiskaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskaaron View Post
I did pretty well with Premier and Triple Threads.

My Premier pulls were a Koufax auto, triple auto /20 of Jeter, Yogi Bera, R. Jackson and a quad auto /15 of Nolan Ryan, Clemens, Verlander, Weaver. I really like their patch cards to.

My Triple Thread pulls I posted earlier but.....Dimaggio 6-piece and and a Manlte 6-piece were the favorites.

My case of Goudey was just ok. Pulled 3 SR autos......Matt Biondi, Joyner-Kearsey and Kerri Walsh.

I also opened Bowmans Best, Sp A, Black, Ballpark Coll. Threads, Co-Sigs. (pulled the A-Rod, Wright, Howard tri-signers) and a few more products but can think of them off the top of my head. Aside from the tri-signers card none of the above were to great (2008 Co-Signers really sucked).

All the products I listed were a combination of 2007 and 2008 products but I did open them in the 2008 calendar year. Take it for what its worth I guess.

I still have a case a Prime Cuts on the way and I can see that being one of my favorites also.
So I'll have to say the top three are......Triple Threads, Premier and most likely Prime Cuts.
fiskaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hell, if bowmans best was $109.99 upon release, that would be product of the year. So much content and, like 07 bowman sterling bb, your gonna hit a couple nice pulls per box.