Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bowman Sterling questions.....

1) From a "variety" standpoint and to lessen my chance of doubles.......... would I be better off ordering a 4-box case or ordering 4 boxes (one at a time) over a 3-4 month period to make sure each box comes from a different case?

Or would it not really make a difference?

Remember I am talking from a "variety" standpoint. I realize it will be a little cheaper getting the case vs. 4 separate boxes. I'd rather open a case than one box at a time but I do not want to get any doubles (unless its a big name of coarse) or at least I'd like to lessen my chance at pulling doubles

2) Should I get 2007 or 2008? Or at least which one should I get first, since I will probably get a little of each (I like to get a small sample from each year). It looks like the 2008 is a little cheaper at this point.
fiskaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

You are guaranteed 1 dual autograph card per 4 box case so buying speperate boxes you could lose out on that.
wildcatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

08 Should be cheaper in the long run as well. 07 was a pretty solid product, and the rookie class did pretty well.

As far as packs verses a case, I think you'd be better off with a case. Regardless of the year (08 has the case encentive), over the course of the production run, you should stand a better mix of cards from one case than from 4 seperate boxes.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Boo

Go with the case. I opened a ton of cases of 2007 and in each case, you will get hardly any doubles. That said, 2007 is WAY better than 2008...but there isn't much out there, hence the high price.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Cubfan86

I too would go for the case but that is because of the WBC Patch redemption. I am wanting to buy a handful of them once the price comes down.
Cubfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

i think the chance for pulling doubles is roughly the same whether or not you buy a case or a mix of 4 boxes. and unless you're really lucky, buy a case of 08 because it is cheaper than 07 due to a weaker checklist. you are guaranteed 1 dual auto per case, as well as 1 WBC patch redemption. again, if you have luck you pull the 1 box from 4 cases that has those. i'd rather take the guaranteed 1 and buy a full case. of course, if you don't care how much you spend, 07 is better in terms of resale value. Joba, Lincecum, Hughes, Vitters, LaPorta, Bumgarner, Braun, Hamilton etc. and the duals were also better, and so were the box toppers. in fact, now you got me thinking bout buying some 07 too!
screamingdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingdc View Post
i think the chance for pulling doubles is roughly the same whether or not you buy a case or a mix of 4 boxes. and unless you're really lucky, buy a case of 08 because it is cheaper than 07 due to a weaker checklist. you are guaranteed 1 dual auto per case, as well as 1 WBC patch redemption. again, if you have luck you pull the 1 box from 4 cases that has those. i'd rather take the guaranteed 1 and buy a full case. of course, if you don't care how much you spend, 07 is better in terms of resale value. Joba, Lincecum, Hughes, Vitters, LaPorta, Bumgarner, Braun, Hamilton etc. and the duals were also better, and so were the box toppers. in fact, now you got me thinking bout buying some 07 too!
Don't forget PRICE!!!
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Nice.....didn't know about the WBC patch. Are we talking the 07 or 08 that has the WBC patches?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskaaron View Post
Nice.....didn't know about the WBC patch. Are we talking the 07 or 08 that has the WBC patches?
probably the 08 because the WBC is coming up.....
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

08 has the patch redemption. with some of the sick patches UD made back in 06, Topps has the chance to do something special with this year's stuff. hell, the WBC logo would look real nice coming off the jersey of the next Japanese superstar. of course you could also end up getting a 1 color patch of the bench guy from South Africa.
screamingdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingdc View Post
08 has the patch redemption. with some of the sick patches UD made back in 06, Topps has the chance to do something special with this year's stuff. hell, the WBC logo would look real nice coming off the jersey of the next Japanese superstar. of course you could also end up getting a 1 color patch of the bench guy from South Africa.

Yeah I hear ya. At the local Sports Authority, in 2007, I purchased a Mounted Memories matted frame 8x10 of a guy named Nishioka (middle infield I believe) played in the the Championship team from Japan in 2006. It is /350. There is also a coin from the tourney and a GU ball swatch with some of the red thread. Very nice looking. I keep waiting for the guy to sign with an MLB team but no such luck..........yet. I'm sure its only a matter of time before he is a Met or Red Sox.