Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any Suggestions?

I was checking another large card dealers website last night: 12/29, & saw a sell ad for five boxes of Playoff Prime Cuts for $783.00. I made immediate payment via Paypal. The total with shipping was $794.00. Today, this seller / dealer refunded my payment. There was no explanation, etc.
I have a couple of questions. Is there anything I can do? If I am permitted, I will name the seller. I think this is B.S. & a no class move on the part of the seller. I also learned I am not going to buy from anyone other than Blowout Cards, & a company in Atlanta. Both have given excellent service & honor their sales prices even if a product goes up in value. If anyone has had success in requiring a company to honor their ads / website sell prices, I would appreciate it. This wasn't some nickle want ad. This was a bold ad with the product description, a picture of the product, etc. Thanks to anyone who responds with some good advise.

Last edited by alpine; 12-30-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Left out some information
alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

He probably realized that the price went up to about 210/box. That means hes gonna be out about $250.
sportzluvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you don't mind, post a link to the ended auction. I don't think there is much recourse except complaining to Ebay. The seller can always say "Item damaged I saved myself/you headache" etc... especially since there is no serial numbering and if he relisted, you can't prove that the new auction is YOUR stuff? At least he refunded you the money and you didn't get the big bone. Sorry.. my 2 cents.
rudyjustinfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Their sell prices today / this morning changed to $999 for a 4 box lot & $3,000 for a 15 box case. I sent a polite email to them, with no response. I would be happy to call them out.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

The sale wasn't on Ebay. This was on a dealer's website. Thanks for the response.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, sounds like they checked last minute what boxes were going for and went for the $$$ instead of the checkmark in their integrity box. Call them out, won't hurt BO's feelings.
rudyjustinfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Captain Collect / the Card Kid.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine View Post
Ive always stayed away from that "kid"
sportzluvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine View Post
That's one kid who won't see a dime from me. That's a cruddy thing to do. There have been MANY times I've sold an item at well below what the market was dictating at the time, but I never took a deal back from under someone, I've always honored each and every sale. I know people still do it, not everyone shares my ethics, but I won't support people who I know do that to people.

I'm putting captaincollect on my blocked bidder list too just for S & G's.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you for headsup - and never fear calling someone out for that BS. Captain Collect always has solid pricing, but I for one will NEVER buy from this sheister because of this. That is absolute garbage and I am sorry for that. I sell only on Ebay, and last year pulled an Adrian Peterson Premier auto quad jersey /55 the week before the Bears/Vikes game. Listed it on the Sunday prior at 1:35 PM. Sold shortly after half for 160. After the 240 yard, 3 TD game, the card was catching $250. I could have tried the same shenanigans but have common decency held me from doing so and I honored the guy who won it for 160. Same deal here, except he lacks the common decency. thank you for the warning and for making me a non-customer - Blowout would NEVER pull that crap.
erock28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about that. I just did a search of his items and store and could not find Prime Cuts anywhere. He may be laying low for a while because I'm sure he knows you're not happy.

The good side of this is that you didn't loose any $$$. I guess I would probably wait a day or so to see what the guy says about it. But I'm not sure there is much you can do other than that. Like was said earlier you can contact ebay about the matter but when all is said and done I don't think there is much you can do.

Again, sorry to hear about this.
fiskaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for a great reply. Your ethics are something you need to be proud of. Sometimes its very difficult & costly to do what is proper. FYI. Their sell ad was big & bold. There were no disclaimers about the seller reserving the right to cancel a sale when conditions change.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzluvr1 View Post
Ive always stayed away from that "kid"
yep. me too. his prices seem to be high and since I found blowout I never buy boxes anywhere else. (you like that BO plug, don't you...Chris and Pat you can send my free box anytime). Its true though I only buy singles from ebay now (except for the awsome retail boxes I get from the BX here). The prices at BO are to good and to throw in the free shipping plus........can't beat it.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

A sincere Thanks for all of the great replies. I am a newbie, but I am very honored to be connected to some great collectors.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock28 View Post
Thank you for headsup - and never fear calling someone out for that BS. Captain Collect always has solid pricing, but I for one will NEVER buy from this sheister because of this. That is absolute garbage and I am sorry for that. I sell only on Ebay, and last year pulled an Adrian Peterson Premier auto quad jersey /55 the week before the Bears/Vikes game. Listed it on the Sunday prior at 1:35 PM. Sold shortly after half for 160. After the 240 yard, 3 TD game, the card was catching $250. I could have tried the same shenanigans but have common decency held me from doing so and I honored the guy who won it for 160. Same deal here, except he lacks the common decency. thank you for the warning and for making me a non-customer - Blowout would NEVER pull that crap.

Absolutely right. Case in point.......my Prime Cuts case (no pun intended). I was quoted $2200 a while ago and even though my case was just shipped yesterday I still only apid the quoted $2200. Cant wait until it gets here!!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Blocked for eternity. There oughta be a law!!!!
Check out my photobucket by clicking on my homepage in the drop down list under my username. Looking for any Twins cards I don't have, and Mickey Mantle refractors that I don't have. I will trade for bait, on occasion. 2011 Topps Chrome auto set completed!!
stumpfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

OH God NO!!! I bought top loaders from him and now I am feeling sick. My precious cards.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have had something like that happen to me a few months ago. It wasn't that dealer but another "name" one. I noticed they had 05/06 UD Series 2 Hockey at a good price (it was heating up) and placed an order. However, I was asking if they had more so I didn't use Paypal right away, thinking they'd get back to me with a total. Of course, I NEVER heard back from them even after I sent follow up emails.

I understand that prices can fluctuate rather quickly, but at least have the nads to give some sort of response even if it'd be total bs.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote