Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dead bay again

Anyone selling anything sure has been quiet the last few days other than a few sales a day, looks like thing's won't pick up until Topps Update releases.
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sales on Ebay have been TERRIBLE the last 4 weeks. I thought with the start of football season, there would be a bump, but NOTHING. Not too mention there really are no "Hot" players, especially from class of 2006.
MagnificentBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I was worried it was just me. I am shocked at how poor business has been since Sunday. Even Sunday, actually. It's been pretty bad for quite a while now. I've even dropped in Powerseller status, despite listing more items than I ever have before.

I am hoping Christmas is plush this year like it was last year. If it's like this though, I am probably going to have to get out completely.
MaddoxBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

After selling on eBay for 9 years getting through the lull periods use to be just pulling out old inserts or rookies. But with Donruss gone now the stock on good inserts has become memory lane.
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Things are getting real bad, even set building items aren't selling right now, and usually you can move that type of inventory whenever you need some extra coin. Don't know man, I think it might be time to toss the towel in on trying to make money on this hobby, and just get back to picking up Red Sox and Packers cards for my mine and my wifes collections.
tarzanlovesjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs down

I also have been selling for 9 years on ebay and I have to say that this is as bad as I have seen it...
I hate to say it, but a Cubs/Yankees or a Cubs/Red Sox World series would have been the best thing for baseball and cards sales... I mean, the D-Backs can't even sell their post season tickets to the game.
I am not ready to give up, mainly because I have too much inventory, but there has to be another angle to go at it during the slow times to boost sales.
I have resorted to puting up Rookie Lots of players who are left on teams in the playoffs.
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've been on ebay for over 8 years and this is just my opinion. First the products are so watered down and there are just too many products to try to sell. Second there are too many people busting a case or two and some buying many more, paying with a credit card without the funds to pay the card off when the statement is received, so they get in a rush to recoup their investment so they can afford to buy more product hence the dumping begins or better put taking what ever price the market will pay. Don't think that I am putting them down because it is their right to buy and sell the way that they want too but it does make it hard for the ones that do this for a living. Myself I hardly ever bust a case I try to hold them to make 3 or 4 hundred dollars per case. The only 2 products I chose to bust in the last year I lost several hundred a case I just received bad cases. I truly believe the only way to keep the value of the cards up for a few months is if topps would join Upper Deck and not letting the dealers sell below the price that UD fixed for that product now this would hurt me but I don't mind since I don't do this for a living. Just my dimes worth.
iam4car3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I wish that cards sold more in China and Japan, and that PayPal protected us over there. That'd fix everything. Those people are bottomless pits when it comes to disposable income.
MaddoxBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

That's actually a great point. I just sold a 1994 SP Alex Rodriguez BGS 9 last Sunday for $705. I stated in my auction that I ship to Canada and U.S. only. So who wins it, someone with a Taiwan zip code but Hong Kong address.

I have no idea what to do on this one. I asked him to give me a U.S. address to ship to, and he did. Somewhere in Michigan. So, I'm mailing the card tomorrow to an unconfirmed address in Michigan. He has a 16 feedback score. I sure hope all pans out okay.

Heck, if I wanted this type of headache, I would have opened up the auction for international bidders. I may have gotten more for my card. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO:IT&ih=001
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

I must completely agree. Along with my 10 yrs+ on Ebay, I do shows in VA,PA and NC. They have all steadily gone down hill. No reason but to go up...FB starting, BB playoffs, Chase to the Cup, NHL beginning...but each show is worse. Attendance and $ spent are weak. Singles and wax sales are both slow, with the exception to others dealers.
nucemcsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

From a dealer website (dallas cowboy football cards only) perspective vs an eBay seller;

I have noticed a lull in sales about mid way through the football season for the past 8 years. It seems to have started a bit early this year but my sales so far this year are up at least 10% from last year. Things are good here, no doom and gloom.

Also, I leverage my websites space for advertising and that helps off set the lull in card sales.

Are you guys collecting emails for sending out newsletters? It's probably the number 1 rule in internet marketing. I send out a newsletter email about once a month. You have to make sure your newsletter subscribers opt in to your newsletter. Don't bombard them with emails everyday and don't send them too many offers in your email. Just send 'em a quick note about the new things you have for sale and new things on the horizon.

I never fail to make at least a dozen sales just after I send out a newsletter. Blowout does the same thing.. you should to.
martyogelvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

The internet and ebay have taken away tons of show goers.

I used to seriously 'jones' about going to shows. I hit 2 or 3 a month and was Always anxious to get to the next show. I loved it, it was like an addiction. We moved to Georgia about 5 years ago and I have not been to a card SHOW since. 5 years and no shows is amazing because I couldn't stay away from them before.

Georgia is simply a bad location for show goers. There is JUST not a lot a of shows to visit here. Plus my wife is a flight attendant, gone all the time and I have a 7 year old and 3 year old twins. I don't go anywhere without my wife. So I have obsticles that keep me from going to shows but the internet has made show going unneccessary. I don't have to visit shows to get my card fix i can just go to ebay.

I hope to someday get back to the shows and possible bring my kids with me but not until they get a few years down the road.
martyogelvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

As soon as Hockey released, I started busting and selling hockey instead of football and baseball, as I started to see a big down trend in football and baseball. I think you'll see success with Bowman Draft and Bowman Sterling along with Topps Update, so you may see some light there.

As far as football.....ugh. The one guy was right, there is a lull in the middle of the season and this is it. It's a tough market out there for football right now. Bowman and Bowman Chrome may help, but I know a lot of people took a beating from some of the recent high end products (Premier, Sterling, SP Threads).

At least with hockey, there really isn't a big flooding of the market that happens because of the limited number of products released. I think with football, people just get tired and bored of buying the same guys and opening the products and getting the same guys and same guys....it gets boring after a while.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
That's actually a great point. I just sold a 1994 SP Alex Rodriguez BGS 9 last Sunday for $705. I stated in my auction that I ship to Canada and U.S. only. So who wins it, someone with a Taiwan zip code but Hong Kong address.

I have no idea what to do on this one. I asked him to give me a U.S. address to ship to, and he did. Somewhere in Michigan. So, I'm mailing the card tomorrow to an unconfirmed address in Michigan. He has a 16 feedback score. I sure hope all pans out okay.

Heck, if I wanted this type of headache, I would have opened up the auction for international bidders. I may have gotten more for my card. Here's the link:

Matt -- you are taking a huge risk here. I would not have done it. I truly hope it works out ok for you.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

I couldn't agree more - my sales have been pathetic other than the 2 weeks following the Bowman Chrome release.

Case in point-

Check out this "]auction that ended last night. I sold that guy both the Maybin and the Gordon in May. I sold him the Maybin for $999 and the Gordon for $825. So now may definately be a time to buy and relist everything in late November early December. Turn a negative to a positive!
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post

Do yourself a favor and don't ship this one - if they pay via certified funds I will send wherever they want the card to go - bad idea to ship this to MI - may as well have sent it to Taiwan as you are still not protected
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Matt -- you are taking a huge risk here. I would not have done it. I truly hope it works out ok for you.
I agree, i would not have sent out the card.
kirkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

I agree sales have gone way down. 4 weeks ago I would have more than $500 in sales a week, now it is down to about $200 and I am starting to list my auctions less and less since they are not selling. Can't wait till I get my case of 2007 finest football, that should bust my sales.
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

traditionally this is the slowest time of year, and coupled with dearth of interesting set-builders MLB products (thanks MLBPA) = temporary slump. the market will bounce back when it has a reason to.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
You guys really got me scared now. I asked him to put the Michigan address in the Paypal payment. (I know it's not confirmed, but at least I have proof this is what he told me). I also shipped it USPS Express mail, and someone at that address will have to sign for it. He paid to have it done this way. He has bought some high end cards, (over $1000), and received positive feedback lately. I hope it works out. I won't ever take the risk again though. Thanks for all the input.

Matt
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

good luck!
Lets cross our fingers..but if he has other that went through ok maybe all will be good.
msteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Exclamation

There is only one way to turn this negative into a positive... That is, BUY!!! If you are prospecting on some young players like I do every year, this is be absolute best time to buy.

I am Buying Andrew McCutchen & Michael Bowden 2005 Rookies every day!
Let me know if any of you guys want to sell yours, I will save you some ebay fees.

Private message me if you do.
Thanks!
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

I to have been very slow on EBay(User ID: Exposfan- 6467+) and like others have said Sunday night has been terrible for me.It Used to be a goldmine but it seems like I am getting earlier bids and then at the end, Nothing at 9pm CST

I also have gotten the Email from Ebay saying I may not have Powerseller status anymore, but I haven't been running to many auctions lately until this week (Rookie Threads and some baseball)

I will keep listing and I know that shortly something will start selling-

PS SHOWS SUCK here- Last show didnt have one Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell or Calvin Johnson RC of almost any kind available so if anyone can top that bad of a show good luck
DadofTwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofTwins View Post
I to have been very slow on EBay(User ID: Exposfan- 6467+) and like others have said Sunday night has been terrible for me.It Used to be a goldmine but it seems like I am getting earlier bids and then at the end, Nothing at 9pm CST

I also have gotten the Email from Ebay saying I may not have Powerseller status anymore, but I haven't been running to many auctions lately until this week (Rookie Threads and some baseball)

I will keep listing and I know that shortly something will start selling-

PS SHOWS SUCK here- Last show didnt have one Brady Quinn, Jamarcus Russell or Calvin Johnson RC of almost any kind available so if anyone can top that bad of a show good luck
somehow my sells have been down but I was just promoted to power seller silver somehow.....it must be from the Barry Bonds lot I had sold a month back that sold for over $4,000 when I broke it up.
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #25 (permalink)

GURU- Leave me some Mccutchens- DO you think the Sterling Refractor auto is a good Buy at $85 dlvd?
DadofTwins is online now   Reply With Quote