Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruvydsb View Post
You could always buy the "hot" pack, open it, keep the crappy hit that you will get and put in a PP claim saying there was no hit. Let the buyer explain how there must be a hit in that pack because..............
Wow, so your promoting your own type of fraud here then. What makes you better than hot pack sellers at this point?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
It probably is a redemption, but likely not worth $120. If the cellophane is see-through like most of those rack packs, all the searcher has to do is push the top cards aside enough to see the blue redemption border. Then he can sell for $120 knowing it could easily be a Jake LaMotta relic worth $50 or something.

Most of these operations are not scams. They are pack searchers who know the size, weight, or appearance of packs with hits and choose to sell for a premium rather than opening.
I could not disagree with this more. I take it you also believe the sellers of grab bags and raffles are not scammers and that they are just trying to give collectors a cheap shot at a card they couldn't otherwise afford? Oh, and patch fakers are just trying to hook collectors up with better looking cards.

Most pack searchers are, in and of themselves, unethical. If you want to trust them and think they are not scammers, that's up to you but I think you are really, really naive if you actually believe that.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Here we go again...Please read the above posts before commenting. It might make more sense to you
Dont try to make sense with people on here. This is a thread where 2 members are promoting fraud by getting what they should from a seller and then encouraging others to file claims saying they didnt.

While I certainly wouldnt buy hot packs, there are many people who either feel the packs or weigh the packs. Its not rocket science. In Bowman Platinum, its incredibly easy. As the guy I quoted said, people are willing to pay alot of legit hot packs, so why not corner the market as he has?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Wow, so your promoting your own type of fraud here then. What makes you better than hot pack sellers at this point?
Not promoting anything. Not saying I do this. I'm saying if you bought one of these "hot" packs, this is a way to get your $ back and give a big FU to the seller. Furthermore, as Grandma Fonzarelli always said, "Two wrongs make a right make honey!"
Bruvydsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Here we go again...Please read the above posts before commenting. It might make more sense to you

I've read the thread, my statement still holds true. You're trusting the guy on the other side to 1) not be a repacker and 2) not be some retail pack searcher that may have damaged the card in the process of molesting the cards.

If you are a guy who can get a "hot pack" every time using a digital scale or calipers and sell it and have happy customers, congrats. Its still stupid to just arbitrarily buy a hot pack from eBay.
deadwaxsociety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
Axe

theres a couple sellers i trust off the bay for them, though i dont buy them often unless i just get a urge to gamble.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
. If the cellophane is see-through like most of those rack packs, all the searcher has to do is push the top cards aside enough to see the blue redemption border.
This is the biggest problem of all...

Why doesnt Topps, Panini, Upper Deck just stop putting their cards in see through packaging. It's almost funny that packs inside blasters are in foil opaque packaging while gravity packs out in the open are in see through packs.

Always buying Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 33, Avengers Annual #7, Various other Bronze Age Thanos appearances.
Carrbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
This is the biggest problem of all...

Why doesnt Topps, Panini, Upper Deck just stop putting their cards in see through packaging. It's almost funny that packs inside blasters are in foil opaque packaging while gravity packs out in the open are in see through packs.
Exactly. Most all "hobby" packs are in a foil wrapper, but they avoid foil for the most part in retail, opting for that somewhat see-through white material (whatever it is).

It doesn't rip easily as foil which makes opening packs easier though.