Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABUMA View Post
That isn't exactly what I meant. Anybody with 1/10 , of a brain can see that a high grade vintage rc is worth more.

More of what I meant is this:

An /50 Sandy Koufax on card auto goes for, let's say, 500.

Sandy is a legend, yet Bryce Harper is a nobody as far as the MLB is concerned because he has 0 MLB stats, and a Harper /50 auto sells for $3k because they hope he becomes a superstar, which in all likelihood, is improbable. More probable than other prospects, because of his obvious talent, but still unlikely.

Can people not see how illogical that is?

The most likely direction of the value of Harper cards is down, and down a lot from here. Yet, we have people praying for their financial sake that 2 years from now he we will shine with the best, let alone even make the cut at spring training and have a mediocre career.
Now there you go again. You are comparing an auto to a rookie (prospect) auto. Not the same thing at all but do not let any of the facts get in the way of your rant.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #27 (permalink)

Prospect hype is sure an interesting phenomenon, and Harper is no different than plenty of prospects before him.

Let's not forget that he is 19 years old, somebody had a post on here awhile back that compared Harper's #'s to HOFers at A ball, and he had much better stats than most of them. I am not saying the he will be a HOFer, but he is ONLY 19, and is still adjusting to AA ball, but who knows what kind of career this kid has ahead of him. Most scouts seem to think he is the real deal, and his baseball skills rate as plus for everything he does.

Now, his card prices have been insane at different points in his young career, and will probably go up and down here or there with the ebbs and flows of his young MILB career, but I have no doubts in my mind that once he gets the call to the show, you will see a GIGANTIC price spike in his cards, just like plenty of prospects before him and after him.

Now comparing vintage HOFers to Harper chrome cards, to me, is comparing apples to oranges. To each their own in this hobby!!

EDIT: My bad he is still 18, doesn't turn 19 till October and he started slow at Hagerstown as well, we shall see.

Last edited by bigsmoot2; 07-24-2011 at 03:15 PM.
bigsmoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

heres the question in 30 years when harper makes the HOF if he does how much will his base bowman auto be worth of course know one knows but id say over 1 K... especially seeing in 30 years cards get lost thrown away ruined etc.. What do you guys think it could be worth
JDK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK16 View Post
heres the question in 30 years when harper makes the HOF if he does how much will his base bowman auto be worth of course know one knows but id say over 1 K... especially seeing in 30 years cards get lost thrown away ruined etc.. What do you guys think it could be worth
it doesn't matter what it will be worth in 30 years. it only matters what it's worth today. and that's what fuels 80% of this hobby (not specifically Harper, but what a card can be sold for right now)..
Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #30 (permalink)

you didnt read my post i know it doesnt matter know im just posing a hypothetical question
Old 07-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
you didnt read my post i know it doesnt matter know im just posing a hypothetical question
if i didn't read your post, how did i know that you were asking about the future value of a card?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
if i didn't read your post, how did i know that you were asking about the future value of a card?
b/c you didnt bother to answer my question yet you took the time to reply and tell me it didnt make any difference..so obviously you didnt get my point as you didnt answer my question.. but whatever.. its cool have a good afternoon not going argue.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
Now there you go again. You are comparing an auto to a rookie (prospect) auto. Not the same thing at all but do not let any of the facts get in the way of your rant.
That's exactly my point. Harper is a prospect, and his auto card sells for more than a legend's. Regardless of whether it's his RC our not, people shell out big bucks for a prospect, but wouldn't do the same for a HOF. It's completely irrational.

Also, 50 years ago card collecting wasn't like today. If it was, Mantle RC's would not have the same prestige they have.

To think that 50 years from now, an excellent conditioned 1989 UD Griffey RC will be a scarcity is ignorant. However, back in 1952, Mantle cards were put in kid's bicycle spokes because it made a funny noise, were torn up, lit on fire, etc.
LABUMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
b/c you didnt bother to answer my question yet you took the time to reply and tell me it didnt make any difference..so obviously you didnt get my point as you didnt answer my question.. but whatever.. its cool have a good afternoon not going argue.
there was no point......... that's the point. it'a an irrelevant question.

a $1 guess is just as valid as a $1,000,000 guess.