Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Platinum Retail 2010 vs. 2011

How have people been comparing the retail blasters for 2011 Bowman Platinum with the retail blasters for 2010 Platinum.

I had a lot of success with the four blasters I opened in 2010 (Trout auto, Team USA Triple, Barnese auto, and Fabio Martinez auto), with only one blaster being without a hit (the last one I opened had two.)

So far with 2011 Platinum I'm 0-2 on blasters when it comes to hits and my best card is a Kevin Malleux #/599. No Harpers at all either. Of course it's not a huge sample size, and I think the odds for autographs are basically the same, but I'm just wondering if anyone else had more success with last years retail.

For me 2010 Platinum was such a great retail product that I could do without buying hobby, but I feel like I should probably stop buying the retail this year since I've struck out.
pkscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

busted a 2011 a min ago and i got a sandpaper handjob like harvey is giving harper tonight

Raimel Tapia was born to hit baseballs
gunshowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not saying it will all be good, but if you're gonna get in on Platinum retail do it early!

I got next to nothing in my few rack packs.

Hope those blasters I left on the shelf don't have anything special in them.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Out of 13 Blasters I got 6 autos and one was Taillon and one was Machado so I guess it depends where you go.

Platinum RETAIL is a better deal by far this year. Depending where you buy at and if you have any coupons or discounts (eBay bucks, Target cash back, etc.), the per-card price of retail is anywhere from .50 - .62 cents. Hobby is anywhere from .83 - 1.00.

In a 1200 card case, you are saving nearly $400 buying retail. Last year retail was a big risk because it was next to impossible to hit a patch auto and those were selling great for hobby. Plus there was the Bonus redemption in hobby. Now that Topps pulled the bait and switch on the relics, it's all about the prospects. When it comes to retail, BUY, BUY, BUY. Harper prices are going to be quite stable since he's harder to hit, but aside from him there are some real gem prospects in this product that will sell when the time is right.

For as mad as everyone is about the relic fiasco, you can't deny that these are nice looking cards and the prospect lineup is very strong. Good luck to anyone who continues breaking.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

I got one blaster and was lucky enough to get one hit for both 2010 and 2011 platinum (retail only), i might stop there but i think ill try my luck again sometime soon with 2011.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

I did some hobby yesterday and did alright, I will have to pickup a blaster and racks asap for sure
2012 Absolute Russel Wilson NFL JSY Auto /299
Laxbam619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

4 for 11 in 2011 blasters... 0 for 2 in 2010... hit two green autos (Guyer and Mcguire) 2011 Hobby box wasn't kind but it did produce a Taillon... Cards are much better looking in 2011 however
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I opened 2 rack packs and hit an auto and a green Ref. Try those
mikecancelliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

4 rack packs = Redemption for an autographed prospects green refractor.

3 blasters= Dustin Ackley Red 3/25

plus a bunch of other cardboard.

Was pleased with the two hits
Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'll be able to give some feedback on the hit rate of the 2011 Platinum soon since I just got in 5 cases of blasters yesterday (80 blasters) and I intend to open most of them (sell the others at show tomorrow). From the odds on the boxes, should be a hit about every 30 packs or so, but Platinum Retail has always been perceived as coming more frequently than that. We'll see.

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default My 2011 retail box Is been GREAT!

Today I bought a full box of 2011 Plats and I pulled this Bad Boy!!! My first Harper Emerald Refractor 524/599!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Bought 3 Blasters on Monday and hit 2 Autos. A Green Refractor auto of Adam Warren and a Gold Refractor auto of Miguel De Los Santos #ed 24/50. The other blaster had all the color in it including a Jurickson Profar green Refractor #ed to 599.

I couldn't find any Platinum Blasters last year so I'm not sure how they compare to me but I think I did great with the 3 I got this year. If I see any today when I hit up Wal Mart I think I may buy some.
mikestrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Out of 13 Blasters I got 6 autos and one was Taillon and one was Machado so I guess it depends where you go.

Platinum RETAIL is a better deal by far this year. Depending where you buy at and if you have any coupons or discounts (eBay bucks, Target cash back, etc.), the per-card price of retail is anywhere from .50 - .62 cents. Hobby is anywhere from .83 - 1.00.

In a 1200 card case, you are saving nearly $400 buying retail. Last year retail was a big risk because it was next to impossible to hit a patch auto and those were selling great for hobby. Plus there was the Bonus redemption in hobby. Now that Topps pulled the bait and switch on the relics, it's all about the prospects. When it comes to retail, BUY, BUY, BUY. Harper prices are going to be quite stable since he's harder to hit, but aside from him there are some real gem prospects in this product that will sell when the time is right.

For as mad as everyone is about the relic fiasco, you can't deny that these are nice looking cards and the prospect lineup is very strong. Good luck to anyone who continues breaking.
I don't think that is quite true. I pulled a ton of patch Auto's from blasters last year, I believe I pulled on average a auto every other blaster and it was almost a even split between patch autos and regular autos. And 2 of the patch autos were Cole/Gray Red /10 patch autos
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Opened 10 racks and 1 blaster here. I was more excited about all the blank white cardboard that I can use to protect the cards I ship on Ebay.

I haven't opened up anything more fun than 2010 BC. I hope 2011 BC is similar, because 2012 is a long way away.
Hiroler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroler View Post
Opened 10 racks and 1 blaster here. I was more excited about all the blank white cardboard that I can use to protect the cards I ship on Ebay.

I haven't opened up anything more fun than 2010 BC. I hope 2011 BC is similar, because 2012 is a long way away.
2010 should be good. Unless topps pulls that bait and switch shiit again. I have a feeling they WON'T. they'll realize what they did with platinum and just make Chrome and draft amazing

But I love the white fillers too for my cards
mikecancelliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
zep

Those white fillers, glued about 1/4 inch from the top of another one, make nice spacers for sorting
zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
I don't think that is quite true. I pulled a ton of patch Auto's from blasters last year, I believe I pulled on average a auto every other blaster and it was almost a even split between patch autos and regular autos. And 2 of the patch autos were Cole/Gray Red /10 patch autos
Congrats on your success, but retail odds on patch autos were 1 in 200 packs, or one in every 25 blasters. You may have killed the odds, but that only means someone else out there was shorted on theirs. In the grand scheme of things, yes they were very difficult pulls.

The point I was making is Platinum retail is a much better deal this year when compared to hobby. There's little reason to buy hobby at this point unless prices drop. I was LUCKY to get a Harper auto but without that I can't say I would have been happy with the hobby product this year. I still like the product as a whole, but the retail price point is where I am comfortable right now.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Darn it...another blaster another strikeout. 0-3 now.

No Harper, No Auto, Nothing Numbered.

I won't give up! But maybe I'll be trying a few racks soon and hope I have more luck with those.
pkscards is offline   Reply With Quote