Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default 2007 Bowman Sterling Profit Sharing Break???

Just a thought, I see everyone interested in the profit sharing group break idea with Razor Poker, and I think this is an awesome way to do any of the higher end products as well. If we could get a quantity discount on Bowman Sterling, sell shares, and then have one person break, list and ship everything I think it would be awesome. With everyone combining our efforts there will be a big possibility of a HUGE pull.

This works great for a lot of things in the future since we all trust eachother, and could really open upon the potential for pulling some excellent stuff. I think Bowman Sterling would be a great candidate for this type of break. I'd like the input of some of the veteran breakers though, as I'd definitely be in for some shares, but wouldn't want to run the break myself. Anyways, just a thought.
tarzanlovesjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

Sounds like a good idea to me. Although there are not a ton of card per case of Sterling, it would be a lot more work for the breaker than the Razor group break.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think you're absolutely right. This could work with several different high end products. It will be nice to see how one goes. That will give us a better idea on how to do another one. "Learn from experience".

I hope this is something new that we can start doing from time to time or even more often.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like a good idea. The only minor issue I thought of is that with a lot of these younger players who were just drafted, the optimal time for selling might not be right after release (when the group break hits would have to be sold), but obviously there is no guarantee any of them will do anything in the majors, so it's probably a moot point anyway.

Regardless I'd be in for at least a share
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bowman Sterling Baseball is one of the few products "made" for team lot breaks. As Tony noted, there are not a ton of cards included - but I have to claim "ignorance" on the "profit-sharing break" concept.

I'd love to do the Sterling baseball break for 2007 in team lots (as I did for 2006), as it takes A LOT of pre-break preparation to determine the correct starting points for each team. I'll be doing this anyway as I SERIOUSLY COLLECT BOWMAN STERLING each year as it is the one and only set I put together.

Just an FYI - but I'd love for someone to do a traditional break as well!
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

TK, check this thread for the "profit sharing" break concept:

http://blowoutcards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1798
Old 10-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

I love the profit sharing concept, but I don't think Bowman Sterling is the right product. The only super rare big hits are the box loaders and the odds of us hitting one even on a 3 case break would be very low. Then the person selling the cards will get a thousand opinions on how to list (BIN vs. Auction, 1 day vs. 7 day, lots vs. singles).
jebjeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmack2o View Post

Man I wish those guys the best shot a cut auto, but I think Razor Poker has to be one of the worst products ever released. I can't stand the name and $800 a case for a chance to pull an auto of a guy named Andy Bloch? I guess this give new meaning to pulling a Klopfenstein.

Last edited by jebjeb1; 10-16-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjeb1 View Post
Man I wish those guys the best a cut, but I think Razor Poker has to be one of the worst products ever released. I can't stand the name and $800 a case for a chance to pull an auto of a guy named Andy Bloch? I guess this give new meaning to pulling a Klopfenstein.
LOL made me laugh.... i can just see it now...

"i think i got Bloch-ed"
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Topps Sterling or Bowman Sterling?
Dobber2330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

I see your point about Bowman Sterling. Just throwing it out there that it would be a great idea for higher end products. But with Bowman Sterling maybe not so much as you have to hold a lot of that stuff and wait for the prospectors to come out of the woodwork. Anyways....hope to be part of the next profit sharing break!
tarzanlovesjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzanlovesjane View Post
Anyways....hope to be part of the next profit sharing break!
I'm sure there are several products out there that this profit sharing idea would work great with, but I think Sportkings could be the next really good idea to try out. Getting a master case or two would be incredible.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

either that or the next exquisite break. these profit sharing breaks are good for the high risk/high reward products like exquisitie/spgu/sportkings/SP Chiography/premiere type products, (signa cuts WOULD have been nice as well)...

...less work for the breaker/seller.. and people do not have to risk as much money to make a few bucks.. everyone could have a piece of the pie and not go broke trying to get that piece... j

ust like the present group breaks... i personally feel that structure is good for those who have an interest in keeping the cards that they end up with... but if the goal is PURELY and STRICTLY profit motivated... then the group buy is definitely the way to go.

hell, might as well get blowout to sponsor the next one..throw it up on youtube, enjoy the discounts without taking as big of a risk than you would have had you done it on your own!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm going to try and give Blowout credit for our Razor Poker breaks on Youtube. If I can figure out the best way to do that, I will. It would be very cool to show everyone a pulled Presidential cut of Lincoln and let them know it came from Blowout. They gave us a discount anyway, so they deserve it.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

you could probably insert something using your video camera software... or just mention their name and website before and after each box or something lol
Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmack2o View Post

Tony,

Thanks for the info.

And yes - this is NOT the product that fits this concept. This is the prospecting product that is better to buy and hold.

Personally, Topps Sterling and Sport Kings are absolutely made for this type of deal. i.e., - chance of something BIG...

TK
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

I would consider Topps Sterling, I think Sports Kings is a bit thin on quality autographs.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I would consider Topps Sterling, I think Sports Kings is a bit thin on quality autographs.
Good point - I would guess the concept behind the "share" break is the chance of a monster hit.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

I think that Topps Sterling would be a great candidate for the profit sharing break. There are too many products releasing in Nov/Dec for me to keep up with!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

Hey guys,

Wanted to give a few opinions on these breaks in general:

When you reimburse the shareholders, use the refund option to save on fees (as has been suggested by others), and if there is a profit, then send a PayPal payment for the balance (or cut them a check if they don't want to lose 3%)

The person living furthest to the east should do the break because they will get the product soonest/cheapest.

Divvying up duties isn't too tough. The breaker can scan and e-mail files to the lister, who could even be on the West Coast without it delaying the listing of the items.

Getting reimbursed will be tougher than it sounds. There will always be someone that does not want to pay right away. Expect your money to be tied up for up to a month. Of course it should not normally take a month, but prepare for the worst, right?

You *could* send the contents to someone after you have scanned and e-mailed them. After all, you may be the closest to Virginia, but maybe someone else is best at packaging and shipping. Or he has hundreds of bubble mailers in his girlfriend's basement and would love an excuse to use some of them. This does generate an extra expense, though. For most situations, a Flat Rate Priority box is the way to go, though.

Yes, I am hinting that I could be the person that ships the cards. No, I don't really want to do it that badly, but I want there to be options out there for y'all.

If someone is ORGANIZED enough to do this with Bowman Draft, we could put enough together to do 50-count lots if we wanted to.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:40 AM   #21 (permalink)

You make some very good points. I hope that we will do a few of these, and we can learn from each one. I just really feel like we have something here that could benefit those that want to take part. There is always a better way to do something. It's just finding that better way sometimes takes a while.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #22 (permalink)

We should start with something like Topps Sterling that has a few cards per pack and the potential for a big hit. I think Bowman Draft would be tough to sort and list.

I think Chris would be very helpful in terms of accomodating shipping to help everyone out.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #23 (permalink)

I think this stuff sounds great. I put up a post about doing a Topps Sterling Group Break a couple days ago. If more people wanted to do a
"Group Profit Break" I could do this as well.

We just have to work out the details.

Any interest in this "GPB" or should I not even bother.

BB

Collecting DREW STANTON auto's, patches, and low numbered cards!!! PM me!
swjedi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

bb - should just keep the group break going... there are plenty of people here that collect as well... no reason why you should change it... and theres no reason why a group profit break can't happen at the same time either.

besides, if i things go alright by then for me, ill be in for a big slot as well.