Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I've come to a crossroads in collecting

I posted this in another forum as well. I just want to get everybody's viewpoints on this.

So this fall I begin college and know I won't be able to buy/sell/trade cards very well from there. The only way I'll be able to buy is if I sell cards that I have, and I would really like to add to my PC. Right now I collect Twins and I'm really after Mauer, Span, and Liriano. I've been considering focusing more and more on Mauer and Span. Right now my Liriano collection is probably the biggest in terms of AU/GU but I haven't really had a drive to get his stuff and I've been wanting to get more and more Span and Mauer stuff. I've also considered moving my Twins GU/AU in order to get more Mauer, Span, and retired players but I'm still unsure if I want to do that, I know my collection isn't that great but it means something to me. Any suggestions?
clarkzac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Do you have a bucket of your Twins stuff?
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not right now, my computer crashed and I haven't had a chance to get any scans. If you would like I can PM you a list of some stuff I might be looking to move
Old 07-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

If Span and/or Liriano get traded today, then that would make it easier to just focus on Mauer lol
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
If Span and/or Liriano get traded today, then that would make it easier to just focus on Mauer lol
If Span was traded, he would still be one of my main focuses, I had the chance of meeting him when the Twins came through on their Winter Caravan one year and he was real humble and polite. Before that he was in my top 2 Twins players lol
Old 07-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkzac View Post
Not right now, my computer crashed and I haven't had a chance to get any scans. If you would like I can PM you a list of some stuff I might be looking to move
LMK what you have of Span and Plouffe, and any printing plates
Luke 2:11- Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord
Old 07-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
LMK what you have of Span and Plouffe, and any printing plates
I'm not getting rid of any Span lol. With Plouffe I have a few refractors from last year, one being an orange refractor from 2010 Bowman Draft
Old 07-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not getting rid of any Span lol. With Plouffe I have a few refractors from last year, one being an orange refractor from 2010 Bowman Draft
I can use the orange
Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

where you going to school
mrmoz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

why sell? max out your student loans and build one kick-a$$ collection
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Im currently a Senior in college and have had no troubles keeping up with my collection and selling while at school. It really isn't that hard to do, I left my collection at home just to keep it safe and make sure nothing can get stolen, but in terms of keeping up with the hobby you have this forum and ebay to keep you up to date on things. There may also be a card shop close by to your school, be sure to google the state where you are going to school with card shop (i.e. New Jersy Baseball Card Stores) and find out where the nearest one is. If there is nothing local you always have target and walmart to pickup some retail. For selling just find the local P.O. and ship from there.

I hope this helps, and I hope you continue to collect. I think giving it up b/c your going to college will be something you regret.
2012 Absolute Russel Wilson NFL JSY Auto /299
Laxbam619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

I agree. Buying/Trading/Selling really isn't that much more difficult in college. Just bring supplies and leave anything super valuable at home.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you going to go to college?
mcgoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

I hope you can figure out what is best for you. I couldnt imagine not collecting. Hopefully everything will fall in line for you and this forum should be able to help you continue. There are some great guys on here that are willing to help on advise, great prices and fair trades. I am not in school and am self employeed, and let me tell you, money is scarce in my house right now. If it werent for the guys on this forum, I would not be able to accomplish my collecting goals either.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm definately not gonna give up collecting, but I'm going for pre-med and gonna be playing football. I'm just thinking of focusing my collection more towards Mauer and Span, and picking up some Twins cards I see that I really like along the way. I'm going to Chadron State College in Nebraska. Its an hour away from I live, smaller DII school. I'm planning on keeping up with these forums the whole time, whenever I can I'm always on the forums. I've never lived in a town with an LCS, this forum is pretty much my LCS. I've really started leaning towards eliminating my Liriano PC, except for an auto or 2. I've also thought about going for more Carew cards, since he was the first Hall of Famer I ever got an auto and GU card of, plus, for being a hall of famer he is relatively cheap
Old 07-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

You should be able to continue to collecting while in school.

I am interesting in what you have of Liriano. Send me a PM with what you might want to move.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm definately not gonna give up collecting, but I'm going for pre-med and gonna be playing football. I'm just thinking of focusing my collection more towards Mauer and Span, and picking up some Twins cards I see that I really like along the way. I'm going to Chadron State College in Nebraska. Its an hour away from I live, smaller DII school. I'm planning on keeping up with these forums the whole time, whenever I can I'm always on the forums. I've never lived in a town with an LCS, this forum is pretty much my LCS. I've really started leaning towards eliminating my Liriano PC, except for an auto or 2. I've also thought about going for more Carew cards, since he was the first Hall of Famer I ever got an auto and GU card of, plus, for being a hall of famer he is relatively cheap
isnt that where woodhead went to school?

Raimel Tapia was born to hit baseballs
gunshowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

I have this Liriano xfractor:

I also have an 08 Span Bowman Chrome RC

and some others, like...a 2010 Bowman Span orange /250, 2 Plouffe 2010 BC refs, 2 2010 BC Mauer refs, and prob a few others you might want.

LMK.
REDSOX2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshowboy View Post
isnt that where woodhead went to school?
It sure is
Old 08-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Is there a question in there? Are you asking what you should collect? Or are you advertising what you are selling?
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote