Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about shipping ebay process

Okay. Hoping someone can explain the process thoroughly to me.

Let's start by saying (hypothetically) that I sold a card....what now?

Guessing I wrap up the card securely...put it in a bubble mailer or some kind....write down his shipping information...and head to the post office, where I guess I can buy one of those shipping labels to slap on to the mailer, and then mail it. How much does delivery confirmation cost? I'm guessing I'm at least going to have to use it for the few couple sales so I build up a minor reputation.
xbignick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've said this before on here but I've delayed it because I've been told paypal occasionally freezes your money and can ruin your credit score.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

never had any problems with paypal. have used for ebay transactions for over three years, totaling a couple hundred $$$.

ebay should give an option to print a shipping label and/or packing slip. they also have a shipping deal with usps and paypal if you know exactly how much the mailer weighs...
jakeytehpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeytehpirate View Post
never had any problems with paypal. have used for ebay transactions for over three years, totaling a couple hundred $$$.

ebay should give an option to print a shipping label and/or packing slip. they also have a shipping deal with usps and paypal if you know exactly how much the mailer weighs...
Does it cost a lot more to have them print the label at the post office? How do I go about it, do I give them the address and the package and they stick it on?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbignick View Post
Does it cost a lot more to have them print the label at the post office? How do I go about it, do I give them the address and the package and they stick it on?
DC tracking number is 19 cents through ebay/paypal shipping vs i think 75 cents through regular post office but the actual shipping costs should be the same. and also when you print labels online your saving the gas to drive to the post office as they can pick up anything from your house.
pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

It costs more to do Delivery Confirmation in person at the post office. If you print at home through Paypal, you get a discount.
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack View Post
DC tracking number is 19 cents through ebay/paypal shipping vs i think 75 cents through regular post office but the actual shipping costs should be the same. and also when you print labels online your saving the gas to drive to the post office as they can pick up anything from your house.
Do you need like an official post office scale to weigh packages at home? I only live a block walking from the post office and I won't be selling much (perhaps maybe two-three times a month).
When people buy/sell singles through the forum how do they do it? Do they use paypal gift?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle View Post
It costs more to do Delivery Confirmation in person at the post office. If you print at home through Paypal, you get a discount.
Okay, you guys have convinced me, lol. Do I need a special printer/where can I find the stickers/can I use a regular scale?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

you need a scale that measures in ounces.
You can use a regular printer and you can find the stickers at any office supply store.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Okay, you guys have convinced me, lol. Do I need a special printer/where can I find the stickers/can I use a regular scale?
get your scales off ebay from china, shipping long but price much much cheaper and they work fine. no need for special printer just get 000 bubble mailers or whichever ones are the biggest and tape your label to the front of it. fits almost perfectly if you get the right size bubble mailer.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHustle View Post
you need a scale that measures in ounces.
You can use a regular printer and you can find the stickers at any office supply store.
Do you have the official name of them (or perhaps a link)? I should buy the bubble mailers at an office supply store, right?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
get your scales off ebay from china, shipping long but price much much cheaper and they work fine. no need for special printer just get 000 bubble mailers or whichever ones are the biggest and tape your label to the front of it. fits almost perfectly if you get the right size bubble mailer.
Well I have a cheap scale I bought from the grocery store years ago that wears in ounces but it isn't digital. Will that work or do I need a scale that connects to the computer?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Do you have the official name of them (or perhaps a link)? I should buy the bubble mailers at an office supply store, right?
buy bubble mailers from valuemailers.com i think is their site or from them on ebay. they have 500 for like 40 bucks or something like that.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Do you have the official name of them (or perhaps a link)?

Search ebay for digital scales and make sure they do oz.

I should buy the bubble mailers at an office supply store, right?
If you only plan on starting with a couple of cards, then yes.
If you're planning on doing more than 20 or so cards right away, it would be cheaper to buy a box on ebay.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

the scale doesn't need to connect to the computer
Old 08-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

[QUOTE=CharlieHustle;1524553]Do you have the official name of them (or perhaps a link)?

For that part I meant the stickers for the bubble mailer.
So I can use any scale I have at home that does ounces and they confirm the weight at the post office?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Sorry for all the questions...just seems like they're so much to learn at first.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

CANCELED POST

Last edited by xbignick; 08-01-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Inactive Account

heres how it goes

first you click ship item on ebay

then you go to a form where you enter the weight of the item and the method of shipping (parcel post, first class, priority) and shipping date. also this is where you choose if you want insurance or not. DC is forced apon you when you ship online but it is only .19 cents and if you don't use DC number through ebay we all know what will probably happen.

then you confirm payment for the label and it prints out

then you tape your label the the bubble mailer

then you can put in your mail box and they will pick it up

note: if your weight is off by a couple of ounces they don't care or don't worry about it. also it really doesn't matter what you enter for shipment date they don't care.

there is no reason to go to the post office anymore unless you like to waste gas or don't have a printer or are "old school"
Old 08-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
heres how it goes

first you click ship item on ebay

then you go to a form where you enter the weight of the item and the method of shipping (parcel post, first class, priority) and shipping date. also this is where you choose if you want insurance or not. DC is forced apon you when you ship online but it is only .19 cents and if you don't use DC number through ebay we all know what will probably happen.

then you confirm payment for the label and it prints out

then you tape your label the the bubble mailer

then you can put in your mail box and they will pick it up

note: if your weight is off by a couple of ounces they don't care or don't worry about it. also it really doesn't matter what you enter for shipment date they don't care.

there is no reason to go to the post office anymore unless you like to waste gas or don't have a printer or are "old school"
Just a couple of questions from this..
1. Which shipping is best, what's the usual?
2. How much does insurance cost?
3. I thought the label was a sticker (unless I should add tape as well).
4. Who checks if the weight is correct? I'm guessing at the post office but if it's wrong what happens, will they bring it back to you?

I live in an apartment building in Jersey City so I'm presuming if I don't want to go to the post office I should stand outside the building to hand it to the mailman.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #21 (permalink)

WOW just wow!!!! Here is a link. Answers all these questions and more!!
eBay Seller Information Center: Shipping Center - Basics - Shipping best practices
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Just a couple of questions from this..
1. Which shipping is best, what's the usual?
2. How much does insurance cost?
3. I thought the label was a sticker (unless I should add tape as well).
4. Who checks if the weight is correct? I'm guessing at the post office but if it's wrong what happens, will they bring it back to you?

I live in an apartment building in Jersey City so I'm presuming if I don't want to go to the post office I should stand outside the building to hand it to the mailman.
you can basically guess the weight and type it in i have NEVER had a package returned for being the wrong weight when using online shipping. thats not to say it couldn't happen to you. I have several scales i use now though. and i guess if you want to go through all of the trouble of getting sticker paper or a sticker printer then you can have sticker labels but i think its kind of a waste of money. it takes about a minute to tape a label onto a bubble mailer.

most of your questions vary based on your location and where your shipping to
Old 08-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #23 (permalink)

Thank you all. I think I got it and will learn more after I sign up and through the process. So the label is just printed on computer paper and you tape it to the mailer?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Thank you all. I think I got it and will learn more after I sign up and through the process. So the label is just printed on computer paper and you tape it to the mailer?
yesssssssssssssssssss
Old 08-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
yesssssssssssssssssss
Oh okay all done.