Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Ebay seller and I screwed up..help!

OK...so I'm about two weeks into selling stuff on ebay and I have hit a snag and not sure what to do...

Some of you checked out my 2011 Platinum Machado Green Refractor auction...well, it was bought last wednesday night...when I went to ship it Friday, I couldn't find it. I spent the entire weekend tearing my house apart! And I mean tore it apart...looked anywhere and everywhere..

So what do I do? Any advice? Being new, I can't really afford negative feedback or I'm not going to be able to sell anything..

My thought was I could send the buyer an email explaining what happened, offer to refund the money, and send him a couple of nice Machado cards as a consolation..any thoughts on that idea? Or would you do something different?

Thanks guys..you'll really get me out of a tight one...I feel like an idiot...
soxfanintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Best bet is to just refund the money with a note saying that you cannot find the card. Fast & honest communication is often the best way to resolve things.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Have you checked under the lid of your scanner? Happened to me once.

The only other explanation I can think of is you shipped the Machado to a different customer by accident. I don't see how else you would lose it. Don't you keep your cards in a storage box or are they just thrown around your house amongst the dog's toys and wife's grocery list?

If your buyer is understanding I think you'll be able to work something out. I'm sure these have come down in price since you sold yours so maybe it will be a blessing in disguise and your buyer can now buy one cheaper elsewhere. You can even point this out to him! Good luck.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

You could refund and offer to cancel the transaction. I would then still send the buyer something for the inconvenience.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

often the cards in penny sleeves stick together to the back of another card in a sleeve or a top-loader, so it's probably hiding under one of those options...GL finding it! what a nuisance!
REDSOX2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post

The only other explanation I can think of is you shipped the Machado to a different customer by accident. I don't see how else you would lose it. Don't you keep your cards in a storage box or are they just thrown around your house amongst the dog's toys and wife's grocery list?

If your buyer is understanding I think you'll be able to work something out. I'm sure these have come down in price since you sold yours so maybe it will be a blessing in disguise and your buyer can now buy one cheaper elsewhere. You can even point this out to him! Good luck.
This is key. If this card was increasing in value I think you'd have a much much bigger problem on your hands. Since it is decreasing, the buyer should be understanding.

Oh, and I've 'lost' cards under the lid of the scanner many many times myself....
Old 08-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7290morint View Post
Best bet is to just refund the money with a note saying that you cannot find the card. Fast & honest communication is often the best way to resolve things.
Not much more you cn do than this. No excuses, just lay it on the line. Expect, however, that if he got a really good deal on it he might accuse you of having seller's remorse, etc.,. Just stay professional and honest about it.
IndyKMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSOX2011 View Post
often the cards in penny sleeves stick together to the back of another card in a sleeve or a top-loader, so it's probably hiding under one of those options...GL finding it! what a nuisance!
Anything I'm selling gets its own toploader and then gets put in my "selling" cabinet. Just to avoid a situation like this.

Soxfanintx, it sounds like you're doing everything to take care of the buyer so unless he's an ass you should be OK. Offering an explanation, refund, and a few freebies is very solid.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

How much did you sell it for and how much do they sell for now?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Happens to me every now and then. Unfortunately, buyers may think you're being dishonest -- even though you aren't.

I typically send the buyer something for the trouble, along with a sincere apology -- and have yet to get hit with a neg because of it.
endthecurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post

I normally do the same thing..keep them in a special box right after its listed..I found the box, but it wasn't in there...i honestly don't know what happened...I'll probably find it right after I sort all this out..

Of the green refractors sold on ebay I could find: $24, $36, $75, $31....sold mine for $38
soxfanintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

or you could buy one from someone. get them to email you the code and then email it to the buyer... lots of risks here but its a solution to a problem

Raimel Tapia was born to hit baseballs
gunshowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

I would just be honest and tell him the story you just told all of us, maybe offer to send him some freebies. He may be normal and accept it, but he could also be a pain in the ass about it and cause trouble. If he does I would just refund his money plus $1.99 so he could buy this one.

2011 BOWMAN PLATINUM GREEN REFRACTOR MANNY MACHADO AUTO | eBay

(not my auction)

good luck, and I hope it works out!
2012 Absolute Russel Wilson NFL JSY Auto /299
Laxbam619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

I agree with under the scanner lid. has happened to me MANY times. Found it after tearing the house apart multile times going through every card. I will find a great card i didnt know i had so i go to scan it and their lays the one im looking for.
limitedplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
zep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxbam619 View Post
I would just be honest and tell him the story you just told all of us, maybe offer to send him some freebies. He may be normal and accept it, but he could also be a pain in the ass about it and cause trouble. If he does I would just refund his money plus $1.99 so he could buy this one.

2011 BOWMAN PLATINUM GREEN REFRACTOR MANNY MACHADO AUTO | eBay

(not my auction)

good luck, and I hope it works out!
That's a great idea!!
zep is offline   Reply With Quote