Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default eBay ettiquite? Was I wrong?

Anyone see a problem with PMing an eBay seller with a lower offer prior to a BIN (no obo) ending?

Periodically I will do this when I'm interested in a card but I make sure i'm friendly about it.

For example, I sent a message to someone today with a card listed for BIN $10 (no others of that card listed on ebay). It has 5 hours to go and I know it won't sell for $10. I told them if they were interested I'd pay $5 plus shipping and included a link to the same card that recently sold for $3.

Their response had the tone like I had done something wrong. Just curious on peoples thoughts. Usually if i get off the wall messages i'm just friendly about it and move on. Even if the offers are bad at least people are taking the time to look at your stuff.
speedmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I see nothing wrong with that. I get strange offers all the time and I just say yes or no. I don't think you did anything to yield a rude response.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I do it, I have people do it to me, Usually I either get no reponse and I see the card listed for 8-10 months until they lower it or I will get some sort of answer with a yes or no. I will always respond as long as the auction is still going on and if I am close to a comp to answer the question in time.

someone else posted about this same subject over in the basketball side recently and the seller went off though it sounds like he got the stuff he was selling for free (maybe stolen) or really cheap
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10

Last edited by Cactuspies; 08-05-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmasterp View Post
Anyone see a problem with PMing an eBay seller with a lower offer prior to a BIN (no obo) ending?

Periodically I will do this when I'm interested in a card but I make sure i'm friendly about it.

For example, I sent a message to someone today with a card listed for BIN $10 (no others of that card listed on ebay). It has 5 hours to go and I know it won't sell for $10. I told them if they were interested I'd pay $5 plus shipping and included a link to the same card that recently sold for $3.

Their response had the tone like I had done something wrong. Just curious on peoples thoughts. Usually if i get off the wall messages i'm just friendly about it and move on. Even if the offers are bad at least people are taking the time to look at your stuff.
Some people just really don't like the premise of doing non ebay transactions and some people will stick to their price regardless of what you point out to them. I had made an offer on a Don Mattingly topps finest moments auto back in like February or March and the guy was asking way to much and I pointed him to the most recent sale and he said that "if he wanted auction prices he'd run an auction". Probably could have been handled better on his end but obviously the member isn't too concerned about making a sale.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

People who list BIN's without BO don't want to hear your opinion on what something is worth. They want to sell it for what they think it is worth to them and in the end they will never sell it.

Collection Bucket: http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/dachman/James%20Starks%20PC/
Busting Packs PC Profile: http://www.bustingpacks.com/pc-profile/james-starks
dachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

No real harm in asking.
mainerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback. I guess its possible that his tone wasn't meant to be so negative, he just isn't good at paying attention to the tone of his message, but it annoyed me, and i'm hard to annoy.

I mean i see peoples point with the "if i wanted auction price i'd set up an auction", but you can get that across without being an a$$.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Location: Originally from Indiana, currently live in New York

I've emailed buyers before for not only BIN but for reg auctions as well. If i see a card that i dont want to risk losing in an auction, I go ahead and try to see if they can agree on a price with me. Nothing is ever done outside of ebay though that way both myself and they are protected. I always make sure i mention that. I just bid on it and they end the auction and adjust the price. So far i have never had a problem with a buyer doing that and i've done it several times successfully.

You did nothing wrong, you just got a seller who doesnt think outside of the box lol
stang66dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachman View Post
People who list BIN's without BO don't want to hear your opinion on what something is worth. They want to sell it for what they think it is worth to them and in the end they will never sell it.
haha, I was trying to get my friend in on that theory. He'll get a best offer of $3 and say, nah, i think I want to wait until I get $4. I'm thinking, i'd just take the $3 now instead of waiting 3 more weeks for a $4 offer, or maybe never getting an offer. If its a $4-5 on a card i know will sell soon its a different story though.

I also sell cards pretty cheap since i'm just a collector and not out to just make money, so I guess i expect others to let their cards go cheap too.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

My personal opinion is that I WOULDN'T PM a sell on a BIN auction/sale unless it stated OBO in it. There must be a reason the seller does not have a OBO option & my guess is that the seller isn't looking for a Best Offer!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmasterp View Post
haha, I was trying to get my friend in on that theory. He'll get a best offer of $3 and say, nah, i think I want to wait until I get $4. I'm thinking, i'd just take the $3 now instead of waiting 3 more weeks for a $4 offer, or maybe never getting an offer. If its a $4-5 on a card i know will sell soon its a different story though.

I also sell cards pretty cheap since i'm just a collector and not out to just make money, so I guess i expect others to let their cards go cheap too.
It's all about the risk you want to take. You can be safe and take the lower offer and roll the dice for a higher offer or never get another one. I've done the latter and then contacted the guy who had the lower offer and sold it to him a week later lol.

Collection Bucket: http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/dachman/James%20Starks%20PC/
Busting Packs PC Profile: http://www.bustingpacks.com/pc-profile/james-starks
dachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

I once got an offer for a card from a guy. I rejected it. He then won the card for about 5 bucks higher than his first offer in the auction. He THEN told me he couldn't pay because he had been robbed. Some ebay members are real peaches.
babybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybull View Post
I once got an offer for a card from a guy. I rejected it. He then won the card for about 5 bucks higher than his first offer in the auction. He THEN told me he couldn't pay because he had been robbed. Some ebay members are real peaches.
At least you got some communication and he let you know he couldn't pay. The most annoying ones are the ones that you don't hear from. I'm pretty patient, I'll send an invoice after day 1 (if nothing needs to be comined). Then like day five i'll send a friendly reminder message. I've only had 1 make it to around day 8 and I sent another message saying i'd have to submit an unpaid to ebay. then submitted on day 10. They have since paid, but it was annoying.

You can take 15 days to pay if you want, just at least let me know.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
My personal opinion is that I WOULDN'T PM a sell on a BIN auction/sale unless it stated OBO in it. There must be a reason the seller does not have a OBO option & my guess is that the seller isn't looking for a Best Offer!!
It had worked for me, a guy had a Span plate listed for a little under $30, asked him if he could do $20, he changed the price and I bought it and paid immediately.
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
It had worked for me, a guy had a Span plate listed for a little under $30, asked him if he could do $20, he changed the price and I bought it and paid immediately.
Sure it may work, I wasn't disputing that fact. The question was about etiquette so that what my answer was based on. Hell i felt bad when I did it to a seller that had the card at OBO.
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

I do this all the time as a buyer...for cheap and pricey items. I find I have a better chance of buying off ebay if they have it as an auction since they are more inclined to not only take close to "ebay" value, but may eve knock a few bucks off going through PP direct. Got a sweet deal on a pair of Brady Contenders autos doing this! My offers are never for on-ebay - and 95% of the time the sellers are ok entertaining offers this way (whether we agree on a price is another issue).

As a seller, I will listen to these requests as well.
burke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

I've used it to purchase, on and off eBay, and found only one instance where I accidentally offered someone less than their price when they stated in the listing "Please don't email about price reductions or off eBay transactions"

Unless there is a stipulation like that in the listing, you should feel comfortable contacting a seller, that's the whole point of listing something on eBay I would hope...to sell it.

Also with paypal protection policies now, as long as you pay for something as goods you can offer them a little less to go off eBay and still make more than they would have if it closed through the site.
dab282 is offline   Reply With Quote