Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to j_b_77
Default When did you start collecting Cards??

Okay, my first pack I remember opening was 1986 topps. I remember putting some of my New York Mets in my backpack and going to class. Somebody wanted them so bad, they offered me two guys from 1985 fleer named Kirby Puckett and Roger Clemens. Cool little memory I had. The cards were all banged up, and I had no idea what I had at the time.
My question to you guys, should you choose to share, When did you guys/gals start collecting cards and maybe some cool memory you have about the hobby?
j_b_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My farthest back memorys where buying penny packs in the late 50's bought packs up until 1966 and then puberty hit lol. All those Mantle's ,Mays, Clemente's etc where long gone by the late 60's. In 1981 i was in Toy's R' Us and i bought 1981 Topps Rack packs here we are all these years later still get the same rush opening packs.
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to j_b_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill22 View Post
In 1981 i was in Toy's R' Us and i bought 1981 Topps Rack packs here we are all these years later still get the same rush opening packs.
So was "Fernando Mania" really as big as they say? I heard there were people buying the hell out of Fernando Valenzuela.
j_b_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

First stuff I opened was 1987 Topps (gotta love the wood borders). Collected for maybe 6 or 7 years then lost interest for a long time and started back up this spring.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

In 1982, my brother and few friends on the base went to the commisary to hide from a mechanic who was chasing us (smoke bomb under vehicle he was working on).

The commisary had just gotten some fresh hockey packs in, but bummer, they were three years old, and darnit, they were in French and English.

We sure thought it stunk that we couldn't get new cards in English... turned out they were 1979-80 O-Pee-Chees, and one of the first cards I ever pulled was Wayne Gretzky's rookie card, which I still have.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Started buying packs as soon as I was old enough to try and read the names. Can't remember the exact year but I know it was the early 70s and football cards. I bought all 4 sports BUT always favored football cards the most.

Two of my fondest childhood memories are card related.

First was my Dad taking me to the local fleamarket, like he did every Sunday and me buying some guy named Walter Payton's RC for .25 off of a week-end warrior dealer named Joe who looked like a short, fat Bob Seger clone. Still have that card and already told the wife to bury me with it. May very well be the ONLY truly untouchable card in my collection.

Second one is walking 2 hot Philly blocks down to the corner mom and pop store during the summer waiting for a brand new box of that years Topps FB to magicly appear in their big picture window. Eight packs for $2.00. Mom said, " get 6 packs and a radio ball to cool me off " but that would mean 2 less packs. NO WAY MOM ! Eight packs in a small brown bag and it was off to the races to get home and open. Pure Heaven for me (and my Mom) , as I'd be busy for hours on the front step sorting into teams and reading the backs. Mrs. Steffie, the old lady who owned the store, would always save the first empty box for me to put my cards in (elderly ladies have a fondness for polite, chubby red headed kids with personality) . Her husband Ed was kind of crabby but she would even pull the box out of the window so I could pick the packs myself. Saving up $12.00 and buying THE WHOLE BOX was a huge thrill too. 36 packs for $12.00 - life was good.

Its stuff like that, that I think alot of kids that collect today are missing out on. Everything now is about what its worth or how much can I get for it. Back then it was about getting all my favorite players and if not the whole set at least all of the Eagles and Steelers. Doubles of Cowboys and Bucs were like redemptions to me. Cowboys because they were the Cowboys and Bucs because I had no idea who they were since they were never on TV in Philly. J.K. McKay, Dewey Selmon ....who are they ???

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS

Last edited by BAMBAM; 10-17-2007 at 11:25 PM.
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to yazevans

'86 Topps was mine, too. Along with 86 Topps Football (Still have a beat up Rice) and 86-87 Fleer Basketbal (Still have a beat up Barkley...no Jordans though). Used to go to the package store with my father, he would get a six pack of Bud and me and my brother would each get two packs. Good times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_b_77 View Post
Okay, my first pack I remember opening was 1986 topps. I remember putting some of my New York Mets in my backpack and going to class. Somebody wanted them so bad, they offered me two guys from 1985 fleer named Kirby Puckett and Roger Clemens. Cool little memory I had. The cards were all banged up, and I had no idea what I had at the time.
My question to you guys, should you choose to share, When did you guys/gals start collecting cards and maybe some cool memory you have about the hobby?
yazevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

1975 topps baseball...Lots of great red sox...Yaz, Rice, Lynn, Evens etc....also Brett and Yount rks.
Have collected every year of Topps from 75-present
jbell35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

1987 Topps baseball. First card from the first pack was Dave Kingman. And I swear every pack I bought seemed to have Frank Pastore. Before being Klopfensteined there was being Pastored.

Bam, what's a radio ball?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

87 topps for me too.. but stopped once the refractors hit the scene and they charged up the yin yang for cards.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

My dad bought me several packs of 1977 Topps football at a local gas station.I remember pulling Rocky Bleier, Jack Ham and Jon Kolb and being really excited, but then got mad when I didn't get Terry Bradshaw in that first batch.

I collected football and baseball off and on (mostly on) from then on. Started getting hockey cards in 89-90.

I also still remember the worst trade I ever made. I needed a 1980 Phil Garner to complete my Pirates set, so I traded Ricky Henderson for it... I was quite pleased with myself at the time

I hope my son is half as excited as I was every time someone came home with packs of cards for me. I would get complete Topps baseball and football sets every Christmas and would spend all Christmas Day going through the sets and reading the backs of each card. Good times!!!
Rich_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

The Easter Bunny brought me my first packs in 1982.
rockholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

88 Score for me. I love the different colors and the photos. 87 Topps was still available so I remember buying a fair share of those, mostly because my 20 cents(?) went just a bit further since I got a free peice of gum
Old 10-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

1978 Topps Football for me. Packs were a quarter AND you got the "great" gum. I still remember seeing how many sticks I could cram in my mouth at once! I don't recall who I pulled out of the first pack, but I did get a Walter Payton that first year of collecting. I collected pretty much only football from 78-87, with the occassional baseball set thrown in during those years. Stopped collecting in high school and college. I just got back into collecting with 05 Topps Heritage. I pretty much stick to Topps retro themed products (Turkey Red, Allen & Ginter, Heritage), but I have also tried a few of the other Topps products and Upper Deck. Boy, the industry sure has changed in 30 years!
indiana9495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

1986-1992, 2002 to present. Wish I would have started back in 2001.
pduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

1973 Topps Football. I remember keeping all the Steelers cards I got out of the packs and trading for them. I collected heavily in the 80's and early 90's but got out after college. I still have a ton of Palmeiro's RCs which are probably worth nothing now. I just bought random packs here and there to get my fix until I started collecting again last year. Yeah I still get that "high" when opening packs and somehow trading with you guys on this board still keeps the fun in it for me. My wife used to frown on this hobby of mine but has since crossed over to the "dark side".
Old 10-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

1979 Topps baseball was my first memories of buying cards. My parents had 2-3 acres and he had this riding lawnmower that's about 2-3 times larger than the typical one you see at the local Lowes. After he was done, he got me and I rode with him to the corner store and would get a Mountain Dew, Slim Jim, and a pack of cards while he gassed the tractor up. The first football memories I have are 1981 Topps at a store called Newberries (long since closed) They had rack packs, still have most of the cards, unfortunately Mint condition has long passed them by. Funny thing was I did get a 49er QB, but it was Steve DeBerg!
Munsonmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

I started in 1975 when I got hooked opening packs for the George Brett RC....A t one time I had over 50 unfortunatley only 6 survived and I still have them and one is in a PSA 10 slab

I took a break from 87-94 (thankfully) and got back into it heavy in 1995.

I have started focusing on autos and rare GU Jersey cards and have not opened anything in a week and don't plan to until 2008 Bowman Baseball. I have spent just over $500 in the last 2 weeks buying autos on the Bay and I have to say its much better than buying and ripping only to lose $$$ on the cards and then have boxes of commons that will never be worth anything.

I just hope I dont get too much of an itch to open and I almost gave in and ordered a case of 2007 Grisiron Gear after all those super breaks I saw.

Bill
cowboyfaninlr is offline   Reply With Quote