Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Logan Morrisson Demoted??? What's Up Fish???

I looked and don't think that a thread has been started about this. (If so, sorry and please delete) Was he really demoted for not participating in a team photo shoot and a bowling event? C'mon Marlins.
38stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

If that's the reason it's dumb as hell. I don't believe there's a reason to demote him, even though he was struggling. Look at Hanley, he struggled as much as he did and didn't get demoted. And from what I understood he missed the meet and great because the marlins didn't keep up their end of an agreement in regards to his bowling event
Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Aaron Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron

The word is that it is because he continued to use Twitter against the wishes of coaches and management.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't see him staying with the organization long, that's for sure.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
The word is that it is because he continued to use Twitter against the wishes of coaches and management.
Of course, the Marlins official reason was because he was batting .249. However, they always tell a player that he will be demoted and why before it happens. They didn't do this with Logan.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Team said he was demoted because his batting average dropped below .250 (.249).

Morrison batted 3rd at 7 pm & was demoted to AAA at 10 pm.
He is second on the team in HR's & third in RBIs & leads the team in slugging.

It seems obvious, he was demoted for other reasons. This is a good write up last night by one of the beat writers.

Are Florida Marlins sending a message by demoting outspoken left fielder Logan Morrison? | Fish Tank blog: Florida Marlins | The Palm Beach Post

As someone who has gone to over 60 Marlins home games this year, it pisses me off. Things may not be going as good as they can go for Morrison, but he leaves everything on the field. He plays through injuries, he lays out for every ball & I remember vividly during their 11 game losing streak with two outs in the bottom of the 9th losing by 7 runs, Morrison hits a routine ground ball to shortstop & busted his ass all the way up the line to record the last out.

Again, Marlins said it was due to him hitting under .250. By that same token, John Buck (.220's), Hanley Rameriz (.220s most of the year, now .240s) should be in the minors.

Gaby Sanchez is hitting under .200 this month, he's still up.

Stanton going in to todays game was hitting .259, if he drops another 10 points will he find his way on the AAA team too?

GET CASH FOR MORE CARDS! HUNDREDS OF SATISFIED SELLERS - ALWAYS IMMEDIATE PAYMENT!

Last edited by Rick; 08-14-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

This is also a good article that was written after todays game on why Wes Helms could have also been released as he gave Morrison advice the Marlins may not have liked.

After offering advice to Logan Morrison, Wes Helms gets released by Florida Marlins | Fish Tank blog: Florida Marlins | The Palm Beach Post

GET CASH FOR MORE CARDS! HUNDREDS OF SATISFIED SELLERS - ALWAYS IMMEDIATE PAYMENT!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

A dumbass move by the Marlins towards a guy that should be a clubhouse leader. Do teams not get that social media is not leaving anytime soon and they need to get with it? As much as people may hate it, UFC has it right by rewarding fighters for using it and giving free press for themselves.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, good piece. Does this mean if Stanton gets to .249 he's gotta go to the Zephyrs too? This is a blow off excuse when you have that many players hitting in the low .200's.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

It looks like for the rest of the season the Marlins will be sending out a Triple A squad at best. I planned on attending another 10 or 15 games this season, but I might as well just go to Jupiter, FL & watch the AAA team, that way I don't have to pay Major League prices to see a minor league team.

Morrison also plans to file a grievance with MLB Players Union as demotion could hamper his service time, costing him money in the long run & also stall his free agency.

This is a good article on the whole story as we know it:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...medium=twitter

Last edited by Rick; 08-14-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
It looks like for the rest of the season the Marlins will be sending out a Triple A squad at best. I planned on attending another 10 or 15 games this season, but I might as well just go to Jupiter, FL & watch the AAA team, that way I don't have to pay Major League prices to see a minor league team.

Morrison also plans to file a grievance with MLB Players Union as demotion could hamper his service time, costing him money in the long run & also stall his free agency.

Morrison Could File Grievance Against Marlins: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
It sounds like Wes Helms and Morrison knew something that some people in the front office didn't want them to know. Why else would one get cut and one demoted with no notice?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

The Marlins are a steaming HOT Mess...

That is all.
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

Agreed. It sounds like he was vocal against the Marlins for not having a bowling event, so he didn't go to sign autographs at the stadium. Seems like a guy standing up to a badly run organization is getting what they think he deserves. I follow the guy on Twitter, and he is funny all the time. I hope the best for LoMo.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm down in NOLA and Logan has yet to take the field and from what some people are saying, he's going to take the full 72 hours before taking the field and possibly file a grievance against Florida over the demotion. I don't expect to see him on the field for the Z's until Tuesday at the earliest. Of course this probably means he's not going to want to sign any autographs for anyone at all while down here. That doesn't mean myself and lots of other people aren't going to try to get his signature.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

Jupiter is Florida's A (advance) team. You will have to come to New Orleans to see their AAA team.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

-If they truly demoted one of the top 4 hitters on the team for not attending a PR event...

I understand the concept, but holy zombie jesus handle this stuff in-house don't demote the guy out of hand.

Who knows, maybe he's full of disobedience, but still...

lobo_hacker, looking forward to winning the lottery one day so he can run an MLB team as ineptly as the pros do
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

Marlins management made a douchebag move to demote Morrison to AAA and would have been better to handle this under the table. I am no way defending the front office but if they don't want him on twitter he needs to also respect the fact that he works for a professional team and this is what expected of him.From the time Trader Jack took over he told LoMo get off of Twitter son, that's when he made the uncensored avatar with tape over his mouth. To me he is a media whore who is doing nothing but hurting himself every time somebody puts the mic into his face. Get off twitter and keep your piehole shut and be a Professional MLB player. If you listen to his post game presser after the game he sounds like a crying little kid. Get off twitter Man up do your time in AAA and move on
blackandgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

Almost all athletes are on Twitter. Probably not as much as LoMo, but it is a power struggle that the Marlins will lose. Those of you that are on here complaining are hypocritical. It is the same thing you are doing right now. Posting for the world to see. If your boss told you to stop being on BO and just flip your burgers, you would be resentful and probably not follow through.

He didn't go to the Meet and Greet, because he did not agree with the Marlins cancelling the charity bowling event. I understand that. It was not selfish of him, it was taking a stand saying this isn't right. But corporate greed always wins huh?

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38stud View Post
I looked and don't think that a thread has been started about this. (If so, sorry and please delete) Was he really demoted for not participating in a team photo shoot and a bowling event? C'mon Marlins.
The Marlins cancelled the bowling event. IIRC, Morrison said even after he got plunked last week that he was going to attend. It was his event essentially. I think he was upset that it got cancelled, not that he had to go.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
The Marlins cancelled the bowling event. IIRC, Morrison said even after he got plunked last week that he was going to attend. It was his event essentially. I think he was upset that it got cancelled, not that he had to go.
Correct, Logan in conjunction with the Marlins Community Foundation were having a bowling event for proceeds going towards American Lung Association. Logans Dad passed away last year of lung cancer & he is always promoting American Lung Association whenever he can. He had all of the Marlins players coming out to the bowling function & had the full support of his team mates it looked like & then they pulled the plug.

Last week he saw my girlfriend & I during Batting Practice & he's seen us around at a lot of the off the field stuff & also at a lot of games (not hard to remember people who come to a lot of games when there is only a couple thousand per game Lol) & he asked if we were going to attend the bowling event. We told him we'd check it out & he seemed pretty excited about it saying everybody was going to be there. His excitement for the event & that it was to benefit the American Lung Association, for his Dad, probably made him upset when the event was canceled.

Hopefully he goes down & works on what he needs to work on. Unfortunately, I don't see him around for much longer here, which is a shame because I think he will be a solid player one day.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungi2510 View Post
Almost all athletes are on Twitter. Probably not as much as LoMo, but it is a power struggle that the Marlins will lose. Those of you that are on here complaining are hypocritical. It is the same thing you are doing right now. Posting for the world to see. If your boss told you to stop being on BO and just flip your burgers, you would be resentful and probably not follow through.

He didn't go to the Meet and Greet, because he did not agree with the Marlins cancelling the charity bowling event. I understand that. It was not selfish of him, it was taking a stand saying this isn't right. But corporate greed always wins huh?
Lot of players are on twitter to give the fans information not gossip, calling other players out and badmouthing the team they play 4. He did a great thing a couple weeks back and gave out 400 tickets for fans to attend the game. That was great and I am sure management might be looking for him to go this route with twitter and not what he has been doing
Old 08-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #22 (permalink)

Well the Zephyr's website said LoMo would be available for tonight's game, but he was not in the lineup and did not play. We shall see if he plays Tuesday.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:37 AM   #23 (permalink)

On Monday, agent Fred Wray, who represents Logan Morrison, had a discussion with the MLB Players Association regarding the demotion of the Marlins outfielder. Wray is asking the union to check into the circumstances surrounding Morrison being optioned to Triple-A New Orleans. The MLBPA is going to open an investigation into the situation to see if there are grounds for a grievance to be filed. Morrison, meanwhile, is expected to begin playing for the Zephyrs on Tuesday.

This coming from the Marlins Website via Joe Frisaro