Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Exactly! I literally looked on Ebay hours ago and saw plenty. Now 1 listing at $2350 including top loaders. They were $1899 earlier today all sold.
Unfortunately, if you are buying marquees on ebay, you may never see them.
Sad but true.
3cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #52 (permalink)

I heard that they couldn't get all the game-used to complete the product. I'm sure they couldn't get all the signers as well but this is only what i heard from a pretty reliable source.
spencer2986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer2986 View Post
I heard that they couldn't get all the game-used to complete the product. I'm sure they couldn't get all the signers as well but this is only what i heard from a pretty reliable source.
you would think if that was the case they'd insert a bunch of "mystery" redemptions to give them more time to come up with something...
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
you would think if that was the case they'd insert a bunch of "mystery" redemptions to give them more time to come up with something...
They already pushed the release date back twice and they still couldn't come up with a completed product. If what Spencer says is true this thread just got alot more interesting.
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToppsMan View Post
WTF, cut the crap and stop fighting. Please remember- THIS IS A HOBBY! If you like fighting so much, watch wrestling.
what rock have you been living under? if one had to weight the two sides..... it would be 20% hobby & 80% business. that's a fact.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_steelers07 View Post
what rock have you been living under? if one had to weight the two sides..... it would be 20% hobby & 80% business. that's a fact.
I just don't like how collecting cards used to be fun, and don't get me wrong- it still is, but people don't seem to be enjoying it as much as a hobby, more as an investment.
TheToppsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToppsMan View Post
I just don't like how collecting cards used to be fun, and don't get me wrong- it still is, but people don't seem to be enjoying it as much as a hobby, more as an investment.
I think its both a hobby AND investment for most. You invest to make money in certain players to make a nice return so you can spend it on more cards. Along the way people add to their personal collections. Anymore you have to be smart and take collecting with a business mind with some of these box prices. Who can afford to continuously buy $100 - $400 boxes and not try to make some money along the way to support ripping addictions.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #58 (permalink)

I invest in some products so that I can have money to buy singles I want, and hopefully some extra money in the bank as well.
cmnkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #59 (permalink)

blowout has cases back up on site @ 2199.99
Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
blowout has cases back up on site @ 2199.99
Yep. And single boxes up $15 at $184.99.
-Rick Porcello and Roger Clemens autos and patches! Twitter: @joeprovost3
DetroitFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
This has become such a joke. Buy, no wait sell. Wait uhmmmm buy, yeah buy. No sell. No wait overproduced sell sell. Wait...what? Orders are cut? Buy Buy, wohoo I'm gonna be rich.

I'm still off the bandwagon, just because orders are cut doesn't mean 500.00 boxes anytime soon. Who knows why it was cut, it was still pushed back a month and now orders are being cut. It could be a good sign or a bad sign. Maybe so, maybe not. Some of you guy's over react to every little bit of info you get. I think it's funny how you people flip flop more than fish on a frying pan. Good luck to everybody buying, I hope you guys are right and you make some money.
I agree with this. Topps never stated a reason why they cut production on the product. Maybe they said it so prices would go up, like they are now. I can't remember a product that had this much hype that actually lived up to it. It just seems too good to be true.
jayjay0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay0122 View Post
I agree with this. Topps never stated a reason why they cut production on the product. Maybe they said it so prices would go up, like they are now. I can't remember a product that had this much hype that actually lived up to it. It just seems too good to be true.
if it seems too good to be true in your eyes you must have pre-ordered. if you didnt pre-order theres nothing good about it, you missed the boat.

Last edited by festus; 08-26-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #63 (permalink)

Last edited by festus; 08-26-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I remember the 50 threads a day about how excited everyone was for Gypsy Queen. Gypsy Queen was popular for the opposite reasons, it was under ordered and everyone thought it was going to be cheesy. Then it started selling like crazy and there was a mad rush.

I hope everyone has great luck with this product. Despite some posters trying to say the contrary I'm not hating. I just think everyone is too quick to speculate and get overexcited on these boards, nothing is ever a sure thing even with the slight price increase. We won't know if the push backs on release and order cuts are a good thing until release. I can just go by Tops history so far this year.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
if it seems too good to be true in your eyes you must have pre-ordered. if you didnt pre-order theres nothing good about it, you missed the boat.
I haven't pre-ordered anything. I'm just saying that the product isn't even out yet and there is no final checklist. I hope the product is good because I see a lot of people put tons of money into this product, but I guess we all have to wait and see if it's a winner or not.
jayjay0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay0122 View Post
I haven't pre-ordered anything. I'm just saying that the product isn't even out yet and there is no final checklist. I hope the product is good because I see a lot of people put tons of money into this product, but I guess we all have to wait and see if it's a winner or not.
well, we do know it wont be watered down as topps rejected over 50% of dealer orders. another bait & switch with the checklist seems unlikely unless they want to scare everybody away from buying future product...
Old 08-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #67 (permalink)

Did anyone compare Marquee to Tier One?? Not to question Marquee being a good product, but it seems like Tier One offers more... in about the same price $180...

Tier one you will get (2 packs $180.00)
4 Autos (all on-card except for multi signed)
and 2 relics

Marquee (1box $184.99)
2 auto (one on-card and one auto relic)
and 2 relics

Both can give you jumbo patches... checklist is about the same... Tier One gets you 2 more autos... just a thought....
wegoingsizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #68 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegoingsizzler View Post
Did anyone compare Marquee to Tier One?? Not to question Marquee being a good product, but it seems like Tier One offers more... in about the same price $180...

Tier one you will get (2 packs $180.00)
4 Autos (all on-card except for multi signed)
and 2 relics

Marquee (1box $184.99)
2 auto (one on-card and one auto relic)
and 2 relics

Both can give you jumbo patches... checklist is about the same... Tier One gets you 2 more autos... just a thought....
It will all come down to the product popularity and the checklist as usual, but it's more like:

Tier one (2 boxes/~$180):
4 on-card or multi autos
2 relics
6 base
2 parallel base

(1 Top Tier auto per case)

Marquee (1 box/now ~$185 (was ~$165)):
1 numbered on-card auto
1 auto multi relic (numbered?)
1 numbered jumbo relic
1 quad relic (numbered?)
12 base
4 parallel base

(1 Museum Collection per case)
Old 08-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
well, we do know it wont be watered down as topps rejected over 50% of dealer orders. another bait & switch with the checklist seems unlikely unless they want to scare everybody away from buying future product...
No, we don't really know this. No one has seen a final checklist, and no one really knows the reason orders are being cut. Like one poster said, he heard that they cut orders because they couldn't deliver on some of the hits and players promised. Now whether this is true who knows. Everything posted on this thread is all just speculation at this point. If it is true it will depend on what players they delivered on and which ones they didn't. I'm not really impressed by the slight increase in price either, this only really reflects everyone's knee jerk reaction to the news of orders being cut. You really think Topps is worried about losing customers with another bait and switch, lol. They have every baseball card collector in the world by the balls right now, they ain't worried about sh!t.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #70 (permalink)

My LCS owner said that they oversold the product and that is why they had to cut back so many orders. I think that is a good thing if they did not produce to demand. Simple economics higher demand than supply, good things!!
CODYJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #71 (permalink)

Wasn't Marquee limited to 1200 cases in the first place? Does this mean the recent cuts will bring the number from 1200 down into the hundreds? Or did they over-sell the 1200 case production and then have to cut orders? That is what is confusing me.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
Wasn't Marquee limited to 1200 cases in the first place? Does this mean the recent cuts will bring the number from 1200 down into the hundreds? Or did they over-sell the 1200 case production and then have to cut orders? That is what is confusing me.
My guess is the latter of the two. Obviously, no one knows the full story yet, but that's what I'm thinking.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd3d86 View Post
My guess is the latter of the two. Obviously, no one knows the full story yet, but that's what I'm thinking.
Agreed. They oversold the 1200 imo...
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post

This is purely on word of mouth second hand, so take it with a grain of salt:

Topps had a hard time getting in all of the autos from players for the planned product run.

If that means some of the museum collection cards, then case production will decrease.

There were 120 names for the museum collection at 1 per case, numbered /10. That would mean a total of 1200 cases. Allocation errors would NOT mean that there can be more than 1200 cases. Topps cannot produce over 1200 cases, while only promising 1200 case hits. That is illegal [like some other crap they have pulled. Disclaimer or not, they cannot say (we are going to possibly bait and switch you because our disclaimer says we can)] Illegal activity doesn;t hold up in court just because you put a disclaimer. Topps is flirting with some real borderline illegal siht with Platinum.

I have also heard that they do not want to use redemptions in this product (we all know they will anyways).

Either way, they have promised a certain number of hits (1 per pack) and if they couldn;t produce all of the "hits" in each pack, they will HAVE to cut production run to maintain that guarantee.

My guess is they had 1200, but sold closer to 2000 to distributors and went OOPS!!!

Last edited by LABUMA; 08-26-2011 at 05:03 PM.
LABUMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABUMA View Post

There were 120 names for the museum collection at 1 per case, numbered /10. That would mean a total of 1200 cases.
Based on the latest news I do not think it is an issue but they could have very easily done more than 1200 cases simply by adding names to the 120 museum collection. I think the incentive is there for them to make this a winner and milk it to death next year. It will be interesting to see which players they had trouble with.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote