Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #76 (permalink)

If you got a museum collection auto card in a box, would that count as your on-card auto?
TheToppsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #77 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToppsMan View Post
If you got a museum collection auto card in a box, would that count as your on-card auto?
Yep.

I imagine most upgrades are replacements.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes it will.
LABUMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt-Reynolds View Post
No, we don't really know this. No one has seen a final checklist, and no one really knows the reason orders are being cut. Like one poster said, he heard that they cut orders because they couldn't deliver on some of the hits and players promised. Now whether this is true who knows. Everything posted on this thread is all just speculation at this point. If it is true it will depend on what players they delivered on and which ones they didn't. I'm not really impressed by the slight increase in price either, this only really reflects everyone's knee jerk reaction to the news of orders being cut. You really think Topps is worried about losing customers with another bait and switch, lol. They have every baseball card collector in the world by the balls right now, they ain't worried about sh!t.
you make no sense. i'm not suggesting who or who wont be on the checklist, that remains to be seen BUT if orders are being cut the product shouldnt be watered down, in other words it wont be MASS produced. ive talked to several dealers & they all think this going to be a home run. i'm more on board with what they think than you burt reynolds. and topps may not be worried just yet but i'm sure that'll change if they continue to jerk people around...

Last edited by festus; 08-26-2011 at 06:24 PM.
festus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
you make no sense. i'm not suggesting who or who wont be on the checklist, that remains to be seen BUT if orders are being cut the product shouldnt be watered down, in other words it wont be MASS produced. ive talked to several dealers & they all think this going to be a home run. i'm more on board with what they think than you burt reynolds. and topps may not be worried just yet but i'm sure that'll change if they continue to jerk people around...
My point is that the orders being cut doesn't guarantee the checklist isn't watered down. It could be less autos of quality guys and more autos of mid level guys and scrubs. You come off to me as thinking cause orders are cut that all the autos and jerseys are Koufax and Pujols caliber. Of course I'm just speculating, just as you are and your dealers are. Of course your dealers think it's going to be a hit. Anyone with a stake in this stuff thinks it's a no brainer. All I'm doing is playing devil's advocate as someone who has no stake in this. Obviously you are crossing your fingers that this is more full of SP'ed quality vets and HOF'ers, rather that SP'ed journeymen and scrubs. I'm really pulling for you and everyone else who is getting some. But most of you guys are acting like you just hit the lottery and I'm simply saying don't count your chickens before they hatch. I don't know why you are getting so personally upset. I would love to be able to start buying Topps Baseball products with confidence again, I'm not rooting for it to fail at all.
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
My point is that the orders being cut doesn't guarantee the checklist isn't watered down. It could be less autos of quality guys and more autos of mid level guys and scrubs. You come off to me as thinking cause orders are cut that all the autos and jerseys are Koufax and Pujols caliber. Of course I'm just speculating, just as you are and your dealers are. Of course your dealers think it's going to be a hit. Anyone with a stake in this stuff thinks it's a no brainer. All I'm doing is playing devil's advocate as someone who has no stake in this. Obviously you are crossing your fingers that this is more full of SP'ed quality vets and HOF'ers, rather that SP'ed journeymen and scrubs. I'm really pulling for you and everyone else who is getting some. But most of you guys are acting like you just hit the lottery and I'm simply saying don't count your chickens before they hatch. I don't know why you are getting so personally upset. I would love to be able to start buying Topps Baseball products with confidence again, I'm not rooting for it to fail at all.
upset? i'm not upset & it looks like you were confused on what i initially stated. i have no idea what the checklist is going look like. you took my watered down statement as if i was refering to the checklist. i was refering to the production run. when you water down a product, you add a bunch of fluff be it worthless inserts or just a whole lot more base cards. maybe the checklist wont be as solid but it looks like the museum collection wont surpass 120 players like many people suggested.

my opinion on the checklist is topps wont pull another fast one but time will only tell. if they continue this practice it'll catch up with them...

Last edited by festus; 08-26-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't have alot of faith in Topps. If the product looks good, I will buy it, but I've been burned too many times by Topps. That's while I'll be happy with waiting until it comes out. If it's good, I don't mind paying a little more for a few boxes. But if it underwhelms, I can sit on the sidelines and pick up singles. To me, tier one looks much better.
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #83 (permalink)

My direct order was not changed...

My order from dist.. was only cut 25%...

So out of my 4 cases i'm losing only 6 boxes...

not bad
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
My direct order was not changed...

My order from dist.. was only cut 25%...

So out of my 4 cases i'm losing only 6 boxes...

not bad
How does that work? are they breaking up your cases? If so....that would suck since you'd lose another guaranteed shot at a museum card.
mutigers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutigers77 View Post
How does that work? are they breaking up your cases? If so....that would suck since you'd lose another guaranteed shot at a museum card.
2 cases direct will be the same...

I had 24 boxes from Dist. Now i get 18...

So i lost 6...

My Dist also said Topps is cutting things across the board...

So Triple threads and Tier one????????? who knows...

Hard to pre order stuff
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:

Hard to pre order stuff
that would be awesome, less production means more value... i ordered 1/2 case of marquee, and a full case of tier one, triple threads has never been good to me, so i might just gat a box or 2 at the lcs. hope i didnt muck up.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
2 cases direct will be the same...

I had 24 boxes from Dist. Now i get 18...

So i lost 6...

Hard to pre order stuff
Hmmm....that is interesting....might have to snag a few Tier One just to be safe.
mutigers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutigers77 View Post
Hmmm....that is interesting....might have to snag a few Tier One just to be safe.
As much as ive liked marquee i only ordered 1 case from my distributor. Tier 1 however I did 4 cases. Just had a better feeling and the price was better for virtually the same product. Who the hell knows though what will deliver, topps chrome could be the best product of the year in this unpredictable hobby. We can all guess and look at the past but you just never know. I think heritage minor league may sneak up on all of us.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:13 AM   #89 (permalink)

With Marquee being a first year product, I doubt Topps would burn us with this because it would give them a bad rep. and sales will eventually go down for them if they keep doing that. Just my opinion...
Old 08-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
With Marquee being a first year product, I doubt Topps would burn us with this because it would give them a bad rep. and sales will eventually go down for them if they keep doing that. Just my opinion...
A lot of people keep saying this in this and other threads, and although I'd like to share your optimism on this overall I just don't see it. If you are a baseball card collector and you want to collect baseball cards and open boxes where else are you going to go? Topps has a monopoly on every collector right now. They can put out whatever they want and do whatever they want right now, and it will not affect sales one iota. If enough people voted with their wallets it may happen, but overall all the card fiends will keep coming back and buying. You couldn't get enough collectors to stop buying to make a dent and affect Topps bottom line. If a release of any first year product does poorly, oh well. Topps will just scrap it and come up with another new product to replace it with next year.
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
A lot of people keep saying this in this and other threads, and although I'd like to share your optimism on this overall I just don't see it. If you are a baseball card collector and you want to collect baseball cards and open boxes where else are you going to go? Topps has a monopoly on every collector right now. They can put out whatever they want and do whatever they want right now, and it will not affect sales one iota. If enough people voted with their wallets it may happen, but overall all the card fiends will keep coming back and buying. You couldn't get enough collectors to stop buying to make a dent and affect Topps bottom line. If a release of any first year product does poorly, oh well. Topps will just scrap it and come up with another new product to replace it with next year.
+ 1. Besides, Topps makes all their money before the collector spends a dime. My LCS has 3 Cases of A&G sitting and going nowhere. Do you think Topps hopes he sells them? They don't care because they got their money from his distributor. Whether a LCS or WalMart sells anything does not matter to Topps. It would take years for that to actually affect things. MY LCS may scale back on some products but then when high hype things get rolled out ( Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Draft, Tier One) He'll end up rolling over that money into another product. Long story short is; Topps gets paid whether you buy it or not.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenineeightsix View Post
+ 1. Besides, Topps makes all their money before the collector spends a dime. My LCS has 3 Cases of A&G sitting and going nowhere. Do you think Topps hopes he sells them? They don't care because they got their money from his distributor. Whether a LCS or WalMart sells anything does not matter to Topps. It would take years for that to actually affect things. MY LCS may scale back on some products but then when high hype things get rolled out ( Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Draft, Tier One) He'll end up rolling over that money into another product. Long story short is; Topps gets paid whether you buy it or not.
I understand your logic, but if they kept doing that, the LCS's keep buying the cases, and then not selling them, would the LCS's eventually lose all their money and go out of business until there's not many people left to buy them?
Old 08-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
I understand your logic, but if they kept doing that, the LCS's keep buying the cases, and then not selling them, would the LCS's eventually lose all their money and go out of business until there's not many people left to buy them?
Topps only has to put out 4-5 killer products out of 20 or so to keep LCS' buying stuff. Plus the fact that they don't have UD or Panini to offset loss on Topps stuff means that if they want baseball on the shelf they need Topps, so they buy. I dont know about you but both of my LCS owners aren't as in touch with the hobby pulse as we are.

Most don't use outlets like Blowout and other resources, they get the sell sheet from the distributor and the order form and they buy it. Only problem is the sell sheets lately havent come close to a clear image of what a product may look like once it gets dropped off at the door. Now you've got 4 cases of something that you could barely sell one of and you already ordered the next 3 products. All of a sudden though you get a product at $750 a case the price jumps two weeks later and now its $ 950 or a $1,000 and youre making money back on your other losses; especially if you can buy back in for a low price. The problem that presents though is that my LCS automatically assumes that a Topps product could suck and tries to not over-order on anything. So when you have a huge release like Tribute or GQ and he only got a case of each then he has to buy in at the new higher price and by that time something else is coming out that people are already interested in.

Point being in all this is that Topps has their money for Marquee already; all of it for the most part. They're not going to care if you buy it from your LCS or not because its already been bought from them. This is one of the glaring flaws in an exclusive liscense, it used to be that if Marquee sucked we'd buy SP Authentic or whatever else UD had out at the time. That would force Topps to actually stick to the preliminary checklist and pump out something worth a distributor stocking up in.

I see Topps having the exclusive for at MOST another two years. I don't know who will be a formidable enough company at that point to compete but someone will have to. Panini is going to lose this year if there's no basketball to be played and with Topps having the NFL liscense also its going to really bruise Panini's operation.

Having Update, TTT, Marquee, Tier One, and a handful of Bowman-Branded stuff releasing this late in the season or AFTER the season could spell trouble though. Especially if Marquee or Tier one flop. But again, Topps is all we have so buy we will and it won't matter if you hit Koufax or Gio Gonzalez; you'll keep buying. We've been doing it all year.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #94 (permalink)

The next few months will deff be interesting. BDPP normally always carries itself especially with the way the checklist is looking. I say Marquee will be good for sales b/c i'ts simply something different. Same goes with Tier 1. Whenever a product offers many of patches with LOTS of colors, its normally pretty solid when the day is over.
spencer2986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #95 (permalink)

I really do hope Topps loses the exclusive and someone challenges them. Topps usually makes better product but the better players are rarer. Some company has to give Topps an incentive to satisfy customers.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #96 (permalink)

I am commenting on this again because I want this to be at the top of the last post because I want to see more opinions
Old 08-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #97 (permalink)

Marquee might be good, or it might not be. No one knows until the product actually comes out. The hype and speculation is building due to the allocation, but it doesn't guarantee anything. Now if you excuse me, I've got a dead horse to beat.
cmnkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #98 (permalink)

blowout just dropped master case price by 100.00
Old 08-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #99 (permalink)

I only got one box but I am very excited
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
blowout just dropped master case price by 100.00
hmm... what do you know, back up 100 bucks