Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker
Default A Cautionary Tale

-Howdy folks and happy Friday. For many reasons, i wanted to post this in the hopes folks will take the time to make sure they are secure, and that they know what to do in times of disaster.

I was robbed in my home yesterday.

I will spare you the details, but let it suffice that the offending jackholes probably picked the worst house on the block to invade. No television, no stereo, no Playstation or Wii, they hit the lottery in a bad way.

But they did take my cards. All of them.

After recovering from the personal shock, calling police, trying to get some stuff done at work this morning so i can leave and continue taking care of things, here are some things i have learned.

1) Take a video or several pictures of the cards, and make sure you can tell the pictures are being taken in your house. Otherwise, your insurance company does not like you.

2) Make sure your doors are secured by a couple of locking mechanisms. The deadbolt should go into a thick metal plate (not the one the lock came with) and there should be at least three screws in that plate that go into the studs of the wall. Mine didn't.

3) Have a family evacuation and security plan in place in case of fire, tornado, break in, etc. Practice regularly.

4) Take some time to enjoy and appreciate your family. Thankfully no one was hurt, but right now i'm not sure i'll ever collect anything again.

If anyone from Oklahoma tries selling you a bunch of Mickey Mantle cards and memorabilia for a steal of a price, let me know.

I know airing of personal information on the web is generally a dumb idea. For me, however, i think this is a bit cathartic. If you got this far, apologies, carry on and have a good day.

lobo_hacker, a.k.a. Zac, who is good and well pissed off
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

I hate to hear that, it's terrible man. Glad you weren't hurt. Reminds me why I have a safety deposit box and as much as I like displaying my big cards, I need to make another trip to the box soon.

Again sorry to hear that, hope they can recover some of them for you.
dab282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mig

Hey Zac I'm really sorry to hear about what happened. That's such a sh##ty thing to happen to you and your family. Hopefully the police find the guys who did and recover your stuff (not likely but there is hope), and hopefully the insurance guys give you fair value for your stuff.
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry to hear it man....that's terrible!
fishacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Terribly sorry for all of your troubles. I hope you get all of your cards back, and the thieves pay for what they put you through. Best wishes to you.

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

sorry you got screwed. did you have any fairly unique items that we should keep an eye out for?

those are all good tips. One thing i've started to do since i got renters insurance: About every six months I take a video with my cell phone or camera, starting just outside the front door. walk through, get video of everything in the house; furniture, electronics, collectibles, jewelry, etc. then email that video to myself. If i'm ever unfortunate enough to have something like this happen to me, i think i'm pretty well covered with that.

I don't know if the show still runs or not, but if you're able to catch a few episodes of "It takes a thief" on the discovery channel, you'll learn alot.
hock3591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

lobo sorry to hear about the break in. at least the family is ok, material things can be replaced at some point in time. you have some good info though. I'm always sketched out when I have the repair guys from my apartment complex come in when I'm not there. I think I have way too much stuff sitting out there for the grabbing.
you might want to go to local pawn shops and if there are any LCS's around you. There are only a few ways they can move these cards. Also if you have a list of what was taken you/we can try to follow ebay and craigslist for your town/area.
my brother did this after his place was broken into (Wii, tv, computer, camera, etc) nothing was found but he did get the insurance company to cover everything and then some.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully the thieves are idiots and try dumping everything quickly. Maybe make a few calls or stops at any local card shops, hock shops or trading barracks.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

That's horrible! What a bunch of #@#@#@#@#@#@#@s. However, at least no one was home.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
That's horrible! What a bunch of #@#@#@#@#@#@#@s. However, at least no one was home.
-There was someone home, but thankfully no one was injured. All the more important to make sure your home is as secure as you can make it.
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Zac that is awful to hear, Im so sorry...but as others have said atleast your family is alright...what specific cards were taken? Anything with serial numbers should help, and as others have said check ebay, craigslist, LCS's, and pawn shops...maybe your stuff is going to turn up quick and you can track these scumbags down
2012 Absolute Russel Wilson NFL JSY Auto /299
Laxbam619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Sorry to hear man.

A couple of years ago someone on another board had his sister killed in an armed home invasion in Tulsa.

I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
-There was someone home, but thankfully no one was injured. All the more important to make sure your home is as secure as you can make it.
Oh dang....glad they weren't hurt.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

The most important thing is no one got hurt. It really sucks to hear about your cards, but hopefully your insurance will come through if you don't get them back.

Luckily most criminals are stupid and lazy, so this could work in your favor. And cards aren't the easiest thing to move like a TV or Stereo. Keep an eye out regularly on Craigslist, once they realize they are not easy to move they may try to sell them there. I would also check pawn shops and LCS's in a 100 mile radius of your home. Not sure how many LCS's are in your area, but probably not many. Even give them a call to let them know that someone may come in looking to sell a collection and give them the specific cards. Again sorry to hear about this, hopefully your children weren't too traumatized
Burt-Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

That is so crazy Lobo. Post whatever pics and/or scans of the cards that you do have. This is a small world and you never know what might turn up. Glad to hear everyone is okay but I am sure a little freaked out.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

I am very sorry to hear about that. I cannot imagine what you and your family are going through right now. Hopefully the jerks are caught and the police can find some of the stolen items.

I actually just recently asked a question about insurance on sports cards in the Off Topic section for something similiar to this. My isurance company only covers $1000 worth of cards and if I ever had something like this happen to me and my family the insurance would never come close to covering the losses.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
... but right now i'm not sure i'll ever collect anything again.
I just re-read your post and noticed this part. I HOPE this is not the case. Remember, they can take away physical objects, material things, etc....but don't let them take away something you enjoy doing! It feels like then you've let them win. I'm not saying it's not hard...I am sure it is. But don't let them do this to you. They way be able to take the cards away from the person who loves them....but don't let them take the love of collecting from you those rats!!!
fishacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that man. I know the feeling of being robbed and it's not a good one. So who was home at the time? Time to invest in some personnal security and training and make sure everyone know how to use it, if you know waht I mean.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

First of all, very happy for you that you and your family are okay, physically. Like someone else said, tangible items can be replaced, albeit some easier than others.

Something you typed kind of makes me wonder, though.
"I will spare you the details, but let it suffice that the offending jackholes probably picked the worst house on the block to invade. No television, no stereo, no Playstation or Wii, they hit the lottery in a bad way. But they did take my cards. All of them."

Is it possible this was done or orchestrated by someone that knew what you had (MANTLE cards)??
IndyKMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd3d86 View Post
I am very sorry to hear about that. I cannot imagine what you and your family are going through right now. Hopefully the jerks are caught and the police can find some of the stolen items.

I actually just recently asked a question about insurance on sports cards in the Off Topic section for something similiar to this. My isurance company only covers $1000 worth of cards and if I ever had something like this happen to me and my family the insurance would never come close to covering the losses.

I know I'm covered up to $25K for my cards from my insurance company, even though I don't have near that much value in cards. I do have pictures of most of my big cards, but I do need to find another place to keep the pictures besides me laptop.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

The most important thing is that nobody was hurt. As for the cards I understand how you feel. Years and years of dealing and collecting down the drain. I'm a pretty paranoid person myself I sleep with my 12 gauge (my life insurance) right next to my bed, but still pray nobody will attempt to come into my home

Define "irony": a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane, to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash -Garland Greene
FavresReturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obenheimer View Post
I know I'm covered up to $25K for my cards from my insurance company, even though I don't have near that much value in cards. I do have pictures of most of my big cards, but I do need to find another place to keep the pictures besides me laptop.
I have anything and everything important (medical records, mortgage info, insurance info, etc.) scanned and put on a flash drive which is stored in my gun safe...throw your card pictures on a flash drive and have it somewhere safe/secure.
Boqueesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Wow sorry to hear man. Glad everyone was ok. Hopefully this all has a good ending
mikecancelliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #24 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about this as well and very glad no one was hurt! I hope your stuff turns up. I recently heard a barely related story about the band Portugal the Man, who still do their tours in a van instead of a tour bus. They parked on a street in California a few months back and had all their stuff stolen. A bunch of people got together and searched craigslist/pawn shops/all the suggestions people are making here. And the band got back almost all of their stuff. So there's hope!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyKMB View Post
First of all, very happy for you that you and your family are okay, physically. Like someone else said, tangible items can be replaced, albeit some easier than others.

Something you typed kind of makes me wonder, though.
"I will spare you the details, but let it suffice that the offending jackholes probably picked the worst house on the block to invade. No television, no stereo, no Playstation or Wii, they hit the lottery in a bad way. But they did take my cards. All of them."

Is it possible this was done or orchestrated by someone that knew what you had (MANTLE cards)??
This thought popped into my head as well