Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Whats the deal with Beckett and all the 9 Autos lately

I have been surfing around Ebay the past few days for some BC prospect autos and I have noticed a trend of a whole lot of 9 autos. A lot of these are actually clean looking autos. What is Beckett's deal lately with this?
romad97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Scans? There could be some bubbling on the auto that is not clear on the scan...
messier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I've really only noticed it on Harper autos
mikecancelliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think the whole grading thing is a con. Especially when it comes to many of the newer cards. I have seen quite a few cards that in my opinion should be a 10 and some lower. I think the big deal is with the 10's. The more Harper autos that they grade as a 10 would bring the value of them down due to the lack of rarity out there. I think it is there own way of controlling the value of the market. Just my 2 cents.

Why would you pay above book value for a 2011 card that has been certified by someone else to be "mint" when the same ungraded card sitting next to it could be mint too and cost you less. Either way, if you are a collector and not a flipper you still have the card. I don't know, I just don't get the theory of grading new cards. Vintage is a different story because people just didn't take very good care of them and to find a high grade vintage card is rare.

It might be off the topic but why do you feel the need to grade a brand new card other than to profit from it even more which is exactly what beckett wants in some cases.
tmoore_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore_25 View Post
It might be off the topic but why do you feel the need to grade a brand new card other than to profit from it even more which is exactly what beckett wants in some cases.
Some people like the protection graded card cases offer. Most grade their cards to make a profit. And really, what's the harm in that?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Anything that can increase the sale price of my card...I'm all for it!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by messier2 View Post
Anything that can increase the sale price of my card...I'm all for it!
Yeah, but it can also decrease it. If your card ends up getting graded a 9 then some may potentially pay less or if it sells for at least the same as a non graded version in the long run you'll loss money because you had to pay to get the card graded.
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
Yeah, but it can also decrease it. If your card ends up getting graded a 9 then some may potentially pay less or if it sells for at least the same as a non graded version in the long run you'll loss money because you had to pay to get the card graded.
I don't grade any cards that will grade less than a 9.5.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

The only thing I hate about grading is customers that buy a high powered microscope like the ones that beckett has, than they buy a card from me that I list in NMT-MT condition or better. They say that the card is "Damaged," then they return the card when it has a speck of a scratch on the surface, or a tiny speck of chipping on the edges. It drives a seller of ungraded cards crazy when people are so darned bent on getting a Pristine 10 out of a card that I list at around in NMT-MT condition or better!
Hockey PC! Zdeno Chara, Tuukka Rask, Dougie Hamilton
benshobbies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by messier2 View Post
I don't grade any cards that will grade less than a 9.5.
But how do you KNOW that they will be 9.5's? You may overestimate the condition of a card. Could happen you know?
death2redemptions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
But how do you KNOW that they will be 9.5's? You may overestimate the condition of a card. Could happen you know?
Of course it happens, but I set a minimum grade requirement and if it doesn't hit 9.5, they just leave it raw and send it back to me.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I think you have been looking at too many Harpers
dthimesch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Some people like the protection graded card cases offer. Most grade their cards to make a profit. And really, what's the harm in that?
A penny sleeve, a hard sleeve, and a sealed team bag, or just a magnetic case with team bag would offer pretty much the same amount of protection. If you buy a box of Bowman for $75.00 and pull a Harper auto that lists for $700.00 ungraded in Beckett, isn't that profit enough?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Not necessarily, I have read posts on here where the person sends in their card for grading and doesn't get the grade that they want. What do they do? Open the cases and send it in for regrading or send the whole thing back to have someone else look at it and get it bumped up. Anything to make an extra buck.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all about the small business owner making money. If not for them I would not have my favorite LCS to go to. But my guy gives me super deals on everything. I have never paid book price for a card, get plenty of minor star cards for free, and usually gives me a couple dollars off of boxes. I return the favor of course by giving him cards he needs towards his sets and any non-baseball cards that I come across when I buy lots from other people. I've even given him a duplicate A&G Evan Longoria auto that I recieved when I purchased a case.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
A penny sleeve, a hard sleeve, and a sealed team bag, or just a magnetic case with team bag would offer pretty much the same amount of protection.
Nope.

When considering all the different things that might just happen to your collection, slabbed cards are a LOT safer than what you mentioned above. Here's one example where slabbed cards would have been better:

Baseball card collection... and a flood!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:50 AM   #16 (permalink)

Am I the only one that sees a conflict of interest when the same company grades a card and has a price guide for the graded card?
HadWayTooMuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
Am I the only one that sees a conflict of interest when the same company grades a card and has a price guide for the graded card?
No you are not. Here's a good one. Why does a card that grades at a BGS 10 go for more than a card that is graded a 10 from a different less desirable company? Just because of their reputation? I don't see how that is part of determining the value of the actual card itself.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
A penny sleeve, a hard sleeve, and a sealed team bag, or just a magnetic case with team bag would offer pretty much the same amount of protection. If you buy a box of Bowman for $75.00 and pull a Harper auto that lists for $700.00 ungraded in Beckett, isn't that profit enough?
No. There was a guy on here whose house flooded. A graded card slab would have saved them.

What if I ding the corner of your Harper and it's only worth $300? Isn't that profit enough? This is a capitalist economy. Don't preach to me about 'too much profit'.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

Those BGS slabs are like bricks. Take a look at this video:

BGS Card Holder - Can it stand up to the test? - YouTube
Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
I think the whole grading thing is a con. Especially when it comes to many of the newer cards. I have seen quite a few cards that in my opinion should be a 10 and some lower.
What does your opinion have to do with their opinion?
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
Only if people paid attention to the price guide
Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

I have never had cards graded and the reason that I have not is that I heard that if you send many cards in then you get better grades, or if you send alot of cards to beckett then you get better grades, does this not happen anymore?
dawger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawger13 View Post
I have never had cards graded and the reason that I have not is that I heard that if you send many cards in then you get better grades, or if you send alot of cards to beckett then you get better grades, does this not happen anymore?
It never did.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawger13 View Post
Some people say if you hold a conch shell up to your ear, you can hear the ocean.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
No. There was a guy on here whose house flooded. A graded card slab would have saved them.

What if I ding the corner of your Harper and it's only worth $300? Isn't that profit enough? This is a capitalist economy. Don't preach to me about 'too much profit'.
Sure his cards would have been saved by getting them slabbed. So here is what we are all going to do. We are going to send every card we own to Beckett to get slabbed, that way when the next flood comes and Noah has no more room for us we will be safe. It sucks but that was a once in a lifetime event for him. Hopefully.

300.00 for a card with a ding'd corner from a box that I paid 75.00 for. Sure that is a good deal if I were trying to sell it. I assume you are not just a collector but a person trying to profit from your cards?