Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A&G rip card help

Hey guys...

Another of my questions of ignorance...

I have a case of 2011 A&G coming today and am really looking forward to ripping it tonight..as always, I might keep a few Red Sox for my PC, but the rest I plan on selling on ebay.

I have looked around for some info, and i think i have the basics down, but can someone explain how rip cards work?

Is it best to open them? or sell them unopened? I'm not sure how it works exactly...but it seems you can get some really valuable cards. I just dunno...and info is appreciated..thanks!
soxfanintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you get a low #'d one, sell it. If you get a high #'d one of a crappy player, might as well rip it. Good luck with your case
Old 08-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

But how do you know if its a crappy player or not? Isn't it inside?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanintx View Post
He meant if the player on the outside is a crappy player, you might as well rip it because they won't sell for a lot and you have a chance at something cool when you rip it.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Obviously I'm talking about the player on the outside......

For example:

If you pull a Felix Hernandez rip /10, then you will want to sell that unripped.

If you pull a Stephen Drew rip /99, you might as well rip it because the sealed card isn't worth much more than what could be inside.

Get it?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

oh...lol..i see. So is the whole think kind of a gamble? If the guy on the outside is really good and its a low number, you should keep it intact because its likely to be worth more?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

For example:

If you pull a Felix Hernandez rip /10, then you will want to sell that unripped.

If you pull a Stephen Drew rip /99, you might as well rip it because the sealed card isn't worth much more than what could be inside.

Get it?
Yes...perfect...i'm a little slow someti...well, All the time...lol

Thanks guys!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

However you may want to sell a high numbered Rip card unopened if its somebody like Albert Pujols, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and guys like that. People will pay good money for them. If its a high numbered card of Travis Hafner then rip it!
death2redemptions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I will be willing to buy all the Daniel Hudson's you pull.
sammywalker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
XL5

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the 2011 rip cards you can get one of the folowing:

Mini exclusive/ext (high numbered minis found only in rip cards)
Mini wood (wood mini cards, each 1/1).
Mini red ink autos (1/10)
Mini sketch card (1/1? sketch cards).

Odds are highly likely that you'll pull an exclusive. If you can sell an unripped card for significantly more than a decent exclusive, conventional wisdom is to sell it unripped.

Obviously the woods, sketches, and even red autos are really rare, considering the number of rip cards out there. There are 400 woods, a handful of red autos (most of the red autos are redemptions or are framed minis), and a handful of sketches. All that in how man rip cards? What was the case run? What are the rips, 100 subjects with /99, /75, /50, /25, /10 each?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

exactly it nothing more than a gamble that you'll likely loose on...case and point, my buddy pulled a vernon wells rip card /50 and we checked the completed listings and earlier that day the same exact card sold for $65. So he took the gamble and ripped the card and got a justin morneau sp mini which he sold for $20 and hasnt been able to sell the ripped wells yet....safe to say he was much better of taking the sure $65, and I think you should do the same
2012 Absolute Russel Wilson NFL JSY Auto /299
Laxbam619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
XL5

Wait until/if you get your rip card and pop back in here and let us know what it is. It's easier to make a call when you know the player and the number.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

I pulled a Carl Crawford Rip card which I would have had no second thoughts of ripping if it were numbered to 99 or 75 or even 50, however it was numbered to /10. Because of that I had no second thoughts about whether or not I'd open it. So I sold it and it ended at $250. I know I did the right thing because pulling a card worth more than $250 would be VERY rare.
death2redemptions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

well guys...u asked me to post when I got my rip card and help me decide whether to rip or not...

problem is, i'm done opening my case, and NO RIP CARD!!! I thought I was supposed to get one in a case of A&G?? Am i wrong?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
XL5

Yeah, that's why I said when/if. They're supposed to have a rip per case but there were lots of reports of missing rips. Let Topps know, I think they will take care of it.

Just double check first to make sure you didn't miss it.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the 2011 rip cards you can get one of the folowing:

Mini exclusive/ext (high numbered minis found only in rip cards)
Mini wood (wood mini cards, each 1/1).
Mini red ink autos (1/10)
Mini sketch card (1/1? sketch cards).

Odds are highly likely that you'll pull an exclusive. If you can sell an unripped card for significantly more than a decent exclusive, conventional wisdom is to sell it unripped.

Obviously the woods, sketches, and even red autos are really rare, considering the number of rip cards out there. There are 400 woods, a handful of red autos (most of the red autos are redemptions or are framed minis), and a handful of sketches. All that in how man rip cards? What was the case run? What are the rips, 100 subjects with /99, /75, /50, /25, /10 each?
Actually, 350 base subjects have their wood mini 1/1s inserted into regular packs. So, total of 50 wood minis in the rip cards.

I personally haven't seen any Red Autos /10 without a border, so I'm not sure if Topps really put those in either
Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
well guys...u asked me to post when I got my rip card and help me decide whether to rip or not...

problem is, i'm done opening my case, and NO RIP CARD!!! I thought I was supposed to get one in a case of A&G?? Am i wrong?
This is debatable... there are tons of cases of A&G from the last two years that haven't received rip cards. I opened 10 cases and received two rip cards in a few cases (so I ended up with 10 total, so it averaged out). I think that Topps needs to edit the way they do their sale sheets, because they sometimes intend to say "average" but don't imply it correctly
Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I thought I was supposed to get one in a case of A&G?? Am i wrong?
Yes, they are not guaranteed.
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

On average, but not every case has one. Some can have 2, others zip.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

For example:

Get it?
My Stephen Drew /99 yielded a Pujols mini SP
Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Hey guys...

Another of my questions of ignorance...

I have a case of 2011 A&G coming today and am really looking forward to ripping it tonight..as always, I might keep a few Red Sox for my PC, but the rest I plan on selling on ebay.

I have looked around for some info, and i think i have the basics down, but can someone explain how rip cards work?

Is it best to open them? or sell them unopened? I'm not sure how it works exactly...but it seems you can get some really valuable cards. I just dunno...and info is appreciated..thanks!

it's best to use various tools and accessories to tell what is in the rip card before you rip it. you can easily tell if it is just a regular sp or something else before you rip.
pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack View Post
it's best to use various tools and accessories to tell what is in the rip card before you rip it. you can easily tell if it is just a regular sp or something else before you rip.
Of course you'd say that pack
JDubs80 is offline   Reply With Quote