Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2001 Bowman Chrome Boxes

So I have a few of these hobby boxes, sealed and unopened. I am looking through GAI for sealing/protecting these boxes for me for potential future sale or possible busting years down the road. They will provide a grade to the box and the packs.

The only caveat is that they will remove the shrink wrap, break the seal and dig through the packs to do their "evaluation". Then they will put the packs back in the box without a seal or shrink wrap then encapsulate it.

Should I do this or not?

Wouldn't the opening of the box, wrap and seal make a customer weary of a potential future purchase?

Will the box/packs lose any appeal or worth once removed from original casing?

I'm at a crossroads and am not sure what I should do.

What say you?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't do it, your untampered box will look identical to a opened tampered box once its been encapsulated. Better to just leave them as they are
Supercollecting Dillon Overton
Mrpokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

leave them as is, obviously like most collectors I wont touch any boxes that arent sealed (unless there being sold by the pack at the LCS of coarse) and if you go through the trouble to have these graded and encapsulated like you said that means they went through 2 sets of hands and have had the seal removed....leave them as is and they'll be easier to sell down the road, and imo modern day packs dont have the value and appeal that say a 50's or 60's encapsulated pack does
2012 Absolute Russel Wilson NFL JSY Auto /299
Laxbam619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

why are you wanting to protect these particular boxes? Pujols can't be pulled from them.

-I do not send paypal payments as a gift, you pay your fee's and I will pay mine-
www.JLR0747.com
Twitter: @JLR0747
JLR0747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR0747 View Post
why are you wanting to protect these particular boxes? Pujols can't be pulled from them.
Yeah, what he said...SELL those puppies.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

The only pujols you'd be getting would be a redemption, and they're way expired. You could pull a base card or refractor. But odds are against you.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBUS1978 View Post
The only pujols you'd be getting would be a redemption, and they're way expired. You could pull a base card or refractor. But odds are against you.
Pujols does not have a base or base refractor in this set, only the auto. refractor.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure GAI doesn't open the boxes and check the packs, they just verify that it is a legit box and grade the box itself. You may want to double check, but I don't think they would take off the shrink wrap.
jasonadkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Pujols is a redemption, so the boxes are pretty useless unless you pull a Ichiro Ref. I think Ichiro is in this if my mind serves me right but I may be wrong, hope that helps.
bowmanchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmanchrome View Post
Pujols is a redemption, so the boxes are pretty useless unless you pull a Ichiro Ref. I think Ichiro is in this if my mind serves me right but I may be wrong, hope that helps.
I think that is RIGHT. Always wondered why these unopened boxes still sell for $450 on eBay. No Pujols, means NO value really
Old 09-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

What would a expired BC Pujols redemption card sell for? I would have to think it would be quite a lot since they are seemingly much rarer than the actual auto.
DaveTaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have never heard the Pujols is a redemption. If that is so, why are the bowes so expensive?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmanchrome View Post
The Ichiro RCs (both english and japanese versions) were also a redemption which is now expired. Before they got shipped it was speculated they would also be auto'd but it didn't happen.

There isn't worth much pulling from a box if these that is worth what it is sealed. You only get 6 of the base rookie refractors per box. Jose Reyes and Hafner are about the best you can do for non auto rookies. There were around 100ish rookies in the non auto set plus the auto rookies which were about 1 per case.
Olerudfan is offline   Reply With Quote